MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Yorkshire bikers targeted in drive to cut road deaths

Yorkshire bikers targeted in drive to cut road deaths - Forums [Biker Match] Yorkshire bikers targeted in drive to cut road deaths - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Yorkshire bikers targeted in drive to cut road deaths

Motorcyclists in Yorkshire are the target of a new safety campaign aimed at cutting the number of deaths and injuries on the roads. Road safety organisations and police forces across the region are teaming up to give roadside education to bikers. Police are to use "a range of tactics" to catch dangerous riders, including using unmarked vehicles. Bikers make up 20% of serious road accident casualties in the Yorkshire and Humber region. However they make up only 1% of road users. Dave Glanville, motorcycle road safety officer for West Yorkshire, said: "We recognise that most riders are safe, responsible and keen to enjoy their riding without putting themselves or others in danger. "But there is still an extreme element of the riding community who want to use our roads as a race track." Police figures show 528 motorcyclists or their passengers were killed or seriously injured on roads in Yorkshire and the Humber in 2009. As part of the new campaign, a new mobile phone application will be launched to help riders plan their routes, along with the publication of a bikers' guide to North Yorkshire, an area particularly popular with motorcyclists.

Update Reply
Matt @ 22/04/2011 19:15  

Sounds about right it's summer again lol

Mind you this evening I did see a bike, big bike, silly small number plate, rider in tshirt, Bermuda shorts and trainers no gloves, go flying past us up woodhead pass ... Statistic waiting to happen!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 22/04/2011 19:19  

Yea they give us all a bad name unfortunately. It's actually something you don't see in Holland! The roads here are so flat that biking isn't so popular (except just as another mode of transport). Insurance is also cheaper cos there's less accidents (less people racing at the weekend).

Update Reply
Matt @ 23/04/2011 15:43  

I was a Yorkishire biker until I moved to Somerset in the late 70's. When we were teenagers loads of us used to ride into the Dales most weekends with our tents and sleeping bags. Brilliant scenery, good ale , what more could we ask for. Insurance is still cheap for me - much cheaper than van or car insurance

Update Reply
dougal50 @ 29/04/2011 18:05  

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->Hi got 6 points 2 years ago, otherwise clean licence for over 25 years of biking. police hiding behind brushes got me the first time, other time they got me from 580 metres away but wasn’t going any faster than other traffic around me. So hate this range of tactics to catch riders, including using unmarked vehicles as most of us are not dangerous riders but hay the government need the cash Pete

Update Reply
peter piper @ 10/05/2011 23:37  

"Police figures show 528 motorcyclists or their passengers were killed or seriously injured on roads in Yorkshire and the Humber in 2009."

Pity they don't say what the breakdown was, how many were down to the rider, how many were down to potholes, diesel spill etc and how many were caused by people sat in their nice comfy car who just didn't see the poor sod on the bike.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 21/05/2011 16:42  

I'm sure it will be the same as every summer in that any targeting will be aimed at the nutters who do nothing other than give the rest of us a bad rap.

If you're riding safely then they're unlikely to be bothered if you're a little over the limit. However, if you're one of those that insist on doing a ton plus everywhere, cutting up and intimidating other motorists etc and desperately trying to keep up with your mates because you don't want to lose face, then you're the one they're after (and quite rightly).

Please be careful this summer peeps. And even if you don't care about your safety (or as is often the case have the typical "it's my choice" opinion), then have a thought for the other road users that have to see it or worse are involved, your family who have to live with the loss and last but not least, the poor coppers that have to pick the bits up and put them in black bags!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 21/05/2011 18:02  

Got pulled by the unmarked Busa near Fridaythorpe. Still pissed me off to this day as he goaded me into a race. Flew past and cut me up then started signalling for me to get past. Didn't slow down or anything so went for it.

Mile or so later the coppers are standing in the middle of the road pulling me in. Couldn't believe it. I get the pulling people for riding like maniacs etc but speeding on a straight piece of empty road after a copper practically made me do it is taking the piss in my book.

Thankfully they sent me on a speed awareness course so avoided the fine/points combo as it was my first time getting pulled.

Still went to town on me with the number plate and exhaust which aren't actually illegal and have passed numerous MOTs with. (Funny how policemen know more than VoSA) £30 for the plate, £30 for the can, £100 for the course. :/

So I tend to stick to speedlimits now and treat everyone like a undercover copper.

Update Reply
S24_SDJ @ 21/05/2011 18:52  

This undercover biker nonesense is seriously insidious. In fact, it smacks of the Gastapo of Nazi Germany and George Orwell. Any police biker who agrees to do this sort of thing is pure filth and the best way they can serve the British public is by swallowing a platefull of barbed wire and broken glass. C U Next Tuesday(s)

Update Reply
Contradiction @ 27/05/2011 19:57  

now i have gone down to the versys ( 650cc ) although the bikes handle etc, i tgink i will stillbe as happy staying withing the limits....i think anyway

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/05/2011 19:59  

"Bikers make up 20% of serious road accident casualties "

So go educated the larger 80 % fair chance 25% of those were the ones that hit the bikes !! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2011 02:27  

ill never forget the bike cop that nearly killed my mum and dad,, he cut in front of them to tell them to pull in for a spot check and then had the fkn gaul to say to my dad (a biker of some 40 years experience)" your riding ability leaves much to be desired sir !! !!!!, my dad had to hold my mum back !!

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 04/06/2011 17:16  

Hate to say it and Im sure they see some pretty horiffic stuff but why dont they spend more time effort and resorces catching " Real " criminals . it feels like every time i get on my bike or car for that matter like im breaking some law somewhere . Yet when my shed got done over they didnt turn up for three days and the first thing they said was we are sorry we didnt retreave any of your things, I said that would be a mirracle seeing as you only just turned up ! makes you think james bond number plate are the best move at times !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 05/06/2011 00:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email