MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

oil in gpz engine

oil in gpz engine - Forums [Biker Match] oil in gpz engine - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

oil in gpz engine

can anyone help me why would a gpz 900 engine be over filled with engine oil ? when i got it the engine smokes so looking at it more closely i can see the engine is over filled.would it be to hide something or just been over filled.also looking for a set of locks the seat won't stay on also other parts needed.would be pleased for any help.

Update Reply
happy jack @ 06/03/2011 21:14  

Probably because whoever owned it before didn't know what they were doing. I've seen it so many times. The common one is people filling their engines up so the level is up to the filler hole!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 06/03/2011 22:03  

<!--6e052d28b1806771e2d163a041d4a5d4-->You could try Barton Motors in Bath for the locks and other bits you need, they are Kwak breakers. Hope it helps

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 07/03/2011 00:01  

As Geoff says, not uncommon !! I would drain all the oil, not just the excess, & inspect the quality, ie is the oil thinner than usual and / or does it smell of petrol. Refill with correct grade & quantity, along with new filter, and monitor the level for a week or so . .. .. although monitor it regularly anyway, but you knew that. Expect the exhaust to smoke for few miles after the oil change as there will be residue in the exhaust system.

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 07/03/2011 02:57  

As greasy tony says with the addition of checking the fuel tap for leaks & checking carb float heights .... what can happen it a split or damaged fuel tap diaphram can allow fuel to pass through the tap when the bike is not in use .... this combined with poorly set foat heights can bore wash the engine & fill the sump with petrol ... not good at all !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/03/2011 20:37  

thanks for the help lads.i will try and see what happens.I was just frightened to start up in case it blew up. will try barton motors in morning thankyou all.

Update Reply
happy jack @ 07/03/2011 20:43  

No problem Jack, you're very welcome mate.

Starting the bike when it's over-filled is unlikely to cause any real problems as long as it's only short term. That said, I wouldn't do it.

As GT says, I'd drain the lot and refill.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/03/2011 21:21  

hi hj ... on kwaks there is a baffle plate behind the level window and when filling with new oil it tends to fill the window slowly and some bods think there isnt enough in it and carry on filling.... as a veteran of older kwaks i agree with the others drain and refill ... theres two marks one behind the window about 6mm from the top ... that is your fill to line but not maximum....then there is 2 marks on a line on the outside edge of the fill window about 5mm up from the bottom .... its not a minimum fill mark when the engine is started on main stand and warms up the oil level should be close to these lower level marks at about 2000 rpm if not top up a bit at a time.... on some models the lower marks are missing but if you go at about 5mm up from the bottom of the window you will be well in the ball park.... if its a couple of mm above its not a problem but if the window is still full at 2000 rpm stop the engine and drain... if the oil level dont to do anything stays the same at any revs then oil filter is clogged ......... giz a shout if not sure ...........

Update Reply
nellie @ 08/03/2011 01:33  

Hi I used to have one of these bikes when they first came out. But I can't remember wether the oil level should be checked either with the bike on the side stand or on the centre stand. It might be worth checking on a forum if unsure.
But a drain and refill sounds like the best advice to me

Update Reply
SPESH @ 08/03/2011 17:08  

Drain the oil. The gearbox output is at the same height (ish) as your oil level. The extra crankcase pressure caused by too much oil in there can blow the seal out.

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 08/03/2011 18:05  

hi canyoutame .... any oil or fluid check on a bike should be on center stand or stood upright to get correct levels....

Update Reply
nellie @ 09/03/2011 18:19  

err my buell never, had to be on the side stand. :-)

Update Reply
SPESH @ 10/03/2011 01:32  

As do many late model Harley's. Check oil levels on side stand !! May have summat to do with no centre stand fitted. Earlier models .. .. pre 2000 .. were listed as check levels upright, bit difficult for owner without ramp or assistance. As always, check owners handbook or Workshop manual for vehicle specific info ............

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 10/03/2011 15:10  

<!--6e052d28b1806771e2d163a041d4a5d4-->All the Kwaks Ive had have been checked with the bike upright and can be a bit dodgy as they have no centre stand.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 12/03/2011 16:27  

OOhhh noo another overfill. Makes you wonder if these people are wired up right. At best it will just blow into the air box and at worse it will overpressure the cases and go pop. Drain it all out and refill to correct level as suggested. Its a 2 cups of tea job with the possibility of a biscuit.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 13/03/2011 09:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email