MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Scrubbing in new tyres

Scrubbing in new tyres - Forums [Biker Match] Scrubbing in new tyres - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Scrubbing in new tyres

seen a number of people asking on here about scrubbing in new tyres, i uses a 4" angle grinder to do it, lightly mark the surface all round, try not to take any rubber of, cheaper than having a off, years ago i used a rasp or sandpaper.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 08/02/2011 03:11  

I give 'em a rub all over with med / rough emery then wash 'em with hot soapy water. This doesn't actually scrub them in but it's a start and gives you a little bit of extra confidence when you first set out, (knowing that they're not complete banana skins).

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 08/02/2011 04:43  

Yup Weird, like you I attack them wif me sander and 60 grit. It gives them a start.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 08/02/2011 09:59  

did someone just say take a angle grinder to your brand new tyre...with what ever wheel you have on the grinder, surely if you dig in to the tyre too much ? slip and hit your wheel rim ?? it all seems a recipe for a disaster to me !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/02/2011 10:27  

Use the flat face of the disk not the edge its never dug in for me. You can do a lot more damage falling of the bike then you would with a grinder
If you dont want to use a grinder than use a rasp or sand paper as I suggested
If you don't think can do it Ian than ask someone else to do it for you

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 08/02/2011 13:53  

Bill, i have been a engineer now for 20 years, i am quite capable of using a grinder buddy, the initial thread was started by 6ypsy, i just think the usual way of riding your bike to scrub them in is the best way, i have never heard of folks usuing a grinder on a back tyre ....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/02/2011 14:01  

Well , I've never heard of this before in all my years of biking. TBH it sounds a very odd practice to me.
Can't you just ride cautiously for a while and gently wear them in??
Confused

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 08/02/2011 16:05  

thats what i thought Dyna..... maybe thats what some wannabe racer boys do so it looks like they have took their bike to "the edge" they prob do their knee pads aswell.....

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 08/02/2011 16:28  

The SADDEST thing I EVER saw.
Box Hill (well known Biker haunt) a few years back, me and my despatch riding buds decided to scream down to Boxhill at ermm......50mph (or whatever the limit was then, thankyou Plod) and have a cuppa.
We parked up and began the religion of admiring the serious bikes on show.
Then these guys came in, 4 of them , all on Kenny Roberts replica RD500 (think) power-valves. NICE!!! ALL in full racing replica leathers, back then we all thought NICE! But now I think ewww, GAY!
Anyway, these guys knee sliders were the cleanest you will ever see...blah-blah-blah......they had all taken angle grinders to them.
Hahahahah , gotta love the poseurs.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 08/02/2011 16:39  

Bill is a boy racer I scrubbed mine in on saturday in the wind and rain! What a hero Iam Like your new friend Bill Who's fell off on new tyres then?

Update Reply
yamahama @ 08/02/2011 17:40  

oh... just sometimes i wish BM had a " like " button cos that post is just brill yam

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 08/02/2011 20:13  

Many years ago I used a hacksaw to get a 400x18 moto cross tyre into a triumph tiger cub just cut off the side bit fitted just great shed loads of grip then went and looped her pulling wheelys what a to##er lol

Update Reply
JP @ 08/02/2011 20:56  

just ride back from garage the long way round (yep i get them to fit them) few corners n roundabouts n slowly build up (down?) the lean and then try to get as evenly worn over the next few thousand miles n repeat. really really do not like flat bits in the middle!!

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 08/02/2011 21:15  

what a bloody waste of rubber lol - I like my chicken strips lol !!!!:-)

Update Reply
kazninja @ 09/02/2011 19:25  

i just ride..............take it steady for a couple of miles, (3 or 4) and then gradually get quicker taking in more lean and more brakes.....50 miles and done

I take it the boys and girls (not knocking anyone here) have never had a new bike then? When you get a new bike, you also have to bed the brakes in, and that means NO gentle braking on new tyres!!!! But after only a few miles, the tyres are capable of this, so dont stress about it...just ride!

Update Reply
mungybear @ 21/02/2011 19:13  

New tyres and brake pads here mungy, so why can't I brake gently?

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 21/02/2011 22:34  

ride gently and brake gently with new pads, they need to bed in for 60 miles at least , even more so on scored rotors!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2011 23:44  

ey? What the bloody hell is a scored rotor?

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 21/02/2011 23:47  

the grooves and ridges in the disc caused by the pads as they wear

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2011 23:52  

Ah, well I don't think they would have been bad, had brakes done on a service. I've done 40 miles but it started hail stoning so I bailed.

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 22/02/2011 00:04  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email