MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Scrubbing in new tyres

Scrubbing in new tyres (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Scrubbing in new tyres (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Scrubbing in new tyres

GT - the only man to publish posts longer than mine lol!

Good info.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 01/03/2011 13:30  

GreasyTonys post on page 3 of this thread tells it all, one of the best bits of info that i'v read on hear

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 13/05/2011 01:05  

hi bill both my zx10 and suzuki vx are shod with bridgestones did about 75 to 100 miles with a few carefull twisty bits and both bikes stick to the road like the preverbial brown stuff to a blanket .... as tony put in his posts the tyres also need to heat up under riding conditions evenly..... and with a sanding disk on a grinder no matter how careful you are you could be causing hot spots and could cause a chemical reaction that in the future might warp the tyre shortening its life.....

Update Reply
nellie @ 13/05/2011 11:08  

Didnt bother to read every post on this thread but it seems to me that its all about keeping your head in gear until you have a few miles and more importantly heat cycles to clear away the mould lube solution. Thats my two pennith worth been riding 39 years now had a few slips on new rubber and its not pleasant at all.

Update Reply
superglider @ 13/05/2011 16:16  

well G/T posts as informative as always (must try harder to resist posting he he )
however what i`m wondering is how do we avoid getting another puncture on the second set of new tyres in a week? and why do "they" always only have a matched pair of the expensive tyres in stock? (yes i did, yes it was raining, yes i`m £256 poorer again, twice in a week)

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 13/05/2011 17:23  

Try using Ultraseal, you could have been £230 better off. Were you holed towards sidewall? If not why not plugged!

Update Reply
harry worth @ 13/05/2011 20:58  

try sand paper

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 15/05/2011 22:16  

read Greasy Tony post on page 3

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 14/07/2011 02:45  

Just read GT's post - am wondering if this was the problem that we had with the Maxxi that we had put on: However, all tyres should still be scrubbed in. If too much power or load is put through a new tyre, large tears can appear on the tyre's tread surface. This is called low frequency graining. These tears will remain larger than normal and the tyres grip and mileage will suffer. If the tyre is scrubbed in properly, these tears will be much finer and mileage and grip will be optimised (high frequency graining). This same effect can happen if too much throttle is used when the tyre is cold. This is called cold graining i.e. the tyre surface will tear up as the compound is trying to grip before it has reached its optimum operating temperature. Am wondering if the Maxxi's need a bit longer to get to temp as opposed to the more 'popular' makes.... Also, someone suggested (on a post that CYTM started re probs with Maxxi's) that if you buy 'budget' tyres you get what you pay for...however, I wouldn't say that these are 'budget' tyres & am sure that the travelling marshalls at the TT wouldn't think that they are 'budget' tyres as Maxxi's are what they all use.

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 14/07/2011 08:08  

best laugh i have had in a long time , jo .

Update Reply
GIXA GIRL @ 24/07/2011 18:28  

Well, having new rear tyre on my bike friday, thanks everyone for all the advice........no grinders for me just a few good miles on the road and wayhey its a goer!!!! I hope lol

Update Reply
wenders @ 24/07/2011 19:29  

Always thought running them in like you do with engine and brakes was the way, admittedly not had a new bike I am hoping when I move up to a bigger bike it will be on the Kymco Venox (new)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2011 19:31  

i did dispatch riding for yrs sometimes i was having new rubber every two weeks and i used the sandpaper it worked for me wold not leave the shop on new rubber in the wet and in the dry verry carefully yed i did forget once and did what the video showed so embaressing having the shop take the bike back to repair the damage on there fourcourt

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/07/2011 10:41  

just take it easy on new tyres and brakes, by the time you probably forget about taking it easy - they are worn in. Had loads of learners on our bikes with new tyres, never had a problem with any of them decking the bikes (although a few did fall over now and again at slow speeds). I have had more of a problem with tyres that are generally crap - moved to a new bike which had Avon Azaros (from older bike which had Macadams on) they were absolutely terrible, and lost all confidence in the wet with them.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/07/2011 16:11  

all to much lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/08/2011 14:28  

On my route home from the bike shop I have 4 shell gripped 90 deg corners and one roundabout . They have me scrubbed in by the time in pull in the drive

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/08/2011 13:55  

Phone posted it twice

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/08/2011 13:55  

When i first got my XV the tyres look ok. But I kept losing the back on silly corners at any speed and in the dry. The reason was that the tyres had hardened. I replaced both with Bridgestones. Leaving the shop it was a completely differnet bike. On the way home, where it was safe to do so I pushed it on the bends and they stuck like the preverbial s.t.b. The tyres were not scrubbed but it was dry.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 06/08/2011 23:35  

I have to agree with the previous posts which just say take it easy for the first few miles, each tyre handles differently and each rider rides differently. I've had three new tyres on the rear of my bandit, all have been different brands and different types but I have to say the most confident I felt from the get go was on a racing tyre (not slicks), they were the dogs preverbial, only problem was they didn't last very long given the mileage I do but they were sooooo worth it. My chicken strips were gone within the first 50 miles and no issues with stability at all.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/08/2011 21:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email