MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

The diesel bike cometh

The diesel bike cometh - Forums [Biker Match] The diesel bike cometh - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

The diesel bike cometh

BOTH Royal Enfield and Hero are rumoured to be developing diesel powered bikes for launch in 2013. Targeting their home markets in India, both firms reckon that the addition range and frugality of diesel engines could appeal to thrifty riders, despite the fact their machines are unlikely to offer much in terms of performance. The Hero machine – the first to be developed since the company's split with former partners Honda – is said to be a 400cc bike, promising something in the region of 20bhp. Less is known about the Enfield plan, but the firm has suggested it would like to make a multi-fuel adventure bike able to run on diesel, petrol or even kerosene. Of course, Enfield has been there before, offering the Taurus diesel for several years until 2001. Managing 150mpg, they were certainly economical, but let's hope the firm's future diesels can muster more than the Taurus' 6.5bhp...Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/...z1CX1s55tX

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 30/01/2011 15:13  

enfield did allready make a diesel powerd bike u believe they used a cement mixer as a donor engine bloody slow but great if your building a wall !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 31/01/2011 18:18  

Parrafin is not allowed as a fuel on british roads They both sound appauling and will be flops (you watch them become over night successes now)

Update Reply
yamahama @ 31/01/2011 18:25  

lol Yam - would rather pay for petrol as cheaper tbh - my freelander tank costs too much as it is lol !!

Update Reply
kazninja @ 31/01/2011 18:47  

A Harley Dieselson !!! Met this guy at Bulldog last year. He had so much grief with his 05 Sporty & NO help from HD UK he put this engine in it. http://www.dieselbike.net/BritishRally10/Britishrally10.htm Okay no picture .. .. I'm cr*p at posting pictures in forums. Scroll down 'till you see Whiskers bike. Mr or Mrs very kind mod, could you pm me with instructions of how to post a piccy on here please .. .. I wont abuse the knowledge ...... honest

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 31/01/2011 18:53  

love the pics brother....best thing for a harley ( legs it from his new mate...or now ex mate )

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/01/2011 19:02  

Up dated previous post for the benefit of the sarcaustic amongst us !!!!!!! I have also added it to the 'humour' folder in my pics.

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 31/01/2011 19:06  

Guys, you are so synnical. While I agree this is not really desireable ie, (bikes depositing as much oil as cars on the road), modern developement of the diesel engine has boosted its potential as a performance unit and it is now capable of producing plenty horses to make it viable in theory. It just requires the will and financial backing to make it a genuine alternative to petrol units on bikes. I really don't want to see it but it is viable.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 31/01/2011 19:07  

dont care just want my 1600cc full flat V twin !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/01/2011 19:08  

Trouble with diesels is they don't rev and have a flat torque curve good for grunt but not as satisfying as a build up in torque and power. Got a TDi car fast but you have to drive it differently to a petrol engine. I'm sure if they wanted too manufacturers could make very fuel efficient bikes but all we want is more POWER. I also think fuel efficient bikes are built to perform and look dull. Why?

Update Reply
yamahama @ 31/01/2011 20:47  

I too drive a turbo diesel, but it has nowhere near the level of development that is currently competing in motor sport very favourably against its petrol equivalents and frankly revs and power bands don't seem to be a limiting problem. Yam I dont want it any more than you but it is viable with a little more investment.

On the power thing, we've already more than is useable on the roads in this country so whats the point.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 31/01/2011 21:15  

that is my point

Update Reply
yamahama @ 31/01/2011 21:25  

i did see in back street heros last year there was a rally for diesel bikes only and loads turned up but i dont think my ears (with plugs) could stand the noise of a 500cc whacker plate engine trying for the motorway speed limit

Update Reply
nellie @ 01/02/2011 06:29  

just found this post and as a long time lover of trail bikes and the torque+economy of builders dumpers have often wondered about a viable engine transplant? for something more refined take a look at www.dieselmotorfiets.nl if thats what a tiny company can do what could honda come up with if they tried?

Update Reply
erchee @ 22/02/2011 03:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email