MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Getting the bike ready for spring/summer

Getting the bike ready for spring/summer - Forums [Biker Match] Getting the bike ready for spring/summer - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Getting the bike ready for spring/summer

After a winter under the tarpaulin (or worse, outside in the frost and rain) a bike’s never in greater need of TLC than at this time of year. To try and reduce accidents and excess costs from poorly maintained bikes, we’ve come up with a list that gives a dozen of the most common causes of insurance claims for bikers, all of which ‘spike’ disproportionately in the spring and early summer. And all can be reduced by careful point-by-point attention to the list. One of the main problems in the warmer weather is not only bikers driving faster, pushing their luck (and rusty skills) after the winter slow-down, but many don’t prepare properly for the first spring outing after the winter layup. It’s vital to give your bike a thorough going-over if you’ve stored it during the winter months. Here are my 12 tips for bringing the old dear out. 1. Review any notes you made when you put your bike into winter storage. It’s easy to forget little things like that small part you removed to get a matching replacement and never got around to replacing. 2. If you removed the battery for winter storage, check and clean the battery terminals before refitting. A bicarbonate of soda solution works well to clean the terminals. 3. Charge and refit the battery. Positive lead first! 4. Change the oil and filter, and check the grease and other lubricants. 5. Check all cables and lubricate with the specified lubricants. 6. Drain the fuel tank, clean and refill with fresh. This especially applies if you left it nearly empty during the winter. An empty tank will have air inside, and that air will have moisture, which will condense out in the cold as water. 7. Check the tyre pressure and wear of tread. If you had a special winter pressure, remember to change it for summer. Don’t use a tyre cleaner on bike tyres - it will make them hard and slippery. 8. Check all lights. Don’t forget the flashing ones! 9. Check brake fluid level and ensure brake pads and shoes aren’t worn. 10. Clean the inside of your helmet with a mild soapy solution and ensure it is dry. Examine it for hairline cracks. 11. If you put away your winter cover during the summer, air it properly, then store it somewhere warm and dry. Don’t let yourself suddenly discover it damp or mildewy next winter when you suddenly need it again. 12. Start a new log book for the year and write down your starting mileage - and all the actions you took to get out on the open road again. Promise yourself that you will keep it up to date this year! now go and enjoy your riding.

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 16/01/2011 21:00  

Ashamed to admit it but I take the girlie route. 1. Take bike to Lomas's 2. Fetch it back Nice tips though BB and hats off to all who DIY!

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 17/01/2011 00:06  

Or just ride all year round, it's much easier!

Update Reply
brad_the_impaler @ 09/02/2011 10:17  

New airbox assembly on my 1994 Triumph Trident 900. It hadn't been changed from new although the bike has only done 18000 miles. Still its really unforgiveable, for me too, having had the bike for 10 months Got the man with the knowledge to do it for me as I had heard it was a bit of a pain (and it cost £60 too!) watched him do it and can see why nobody changes them! New front fork springs fitted, oil, filter, electrical overhaul. Adjusted handlebars and lever positions as I had been putting up with 'as set' from when I bought it last year. Adjustments to rear suspension. It should be like a new bike when I get the chance to test it out on Thursday. Roll on the Spring!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 09/02/2011 10:43  

I bought my bike around this time so it's always due it's annual service, so I kinda cheat too. Although, I do need to de-seize the front brake first to get it to the shop! ;/

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 09/02/2011 13:06  

your bike should always be ready to ride ...espec if you love it..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/02/2011 22:32  

Rattay i know what you mean im thinking of taking the air box and going K&Ns instead

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 10/02/2011 22:38  

The guy who changed my 'box'! is a bit of an inventor and is thinking about an access panel in the side of the box so you can slip in a filter without major surgery. K&N do a filter to fit in the box for the £30 squid mark but the air box still needs to be removed (carbs off etc) to get out the old filter.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 11/02/2011 16:05  

@el ninja - with you there. Mines on the go 365.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 11/02/2011 16:22  

Top men! Still, surely there's room for all sorts of riders?

Update Reply
Rattay @ 11/02/2011 16:25  

Thanks for that BB, I am going to attempt this - great check list

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 12/02/2011 10:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email