MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back?

Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back? (6) - Forums [Biker Match] Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back? (6) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back?

If the death sentence was brought back I think it would bring a strickter meaning to 'beyond all reasonable doubt'

Personally I think it should be brought back for the most horrific crimes and also for repeat offenders of say rape or GBH, both of which have valid proof that as the offender repeats the attacks get worse.

In the case mentioned earlier ... science has come such a long way now and DNA testing on the semen left on little Lesely Molseed Would have prevented the wrong man being arrested.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 14/01/2011 03:41  

problem is ALL evidence can be tampered with, and no-one is incorruptable. with all that in mind, the broader issue of trust becomes a difficult one,

Update Reply
aussiegeezer @ 14/01/2011 06:25  

@shell - they had the evidence back then which would have proved he couldnt have done it....DNA testing was only used to convict the real killer in 2007 ish....the point i was trying to make in highlighting that case was that the police knew from the beginning he couldnt have done it but hid the evidence that disproved them...so desperate were they for a conviction of any sort.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 14/01/2011 07:35  

@Dunans and Shaza. Any claim without supporting evidence is wild and my post was not in the least condescending. If you read back Shaza I have constantly asked Dunans to supply the relevant data. Equally consistently he has failed to-do so! The opinion I stated was that IMO taking a life is never acceptable! In the case of Robert even though there are circumstances he would kill and we all have our limits. IMO we shouldn't take his life and he makes it quite clear in those circumstances the death penalty is not a deterrent. Who judges the circumstances if we're to differentiate? I believe the sentencing in this country is inadequate for most crimes, but the death penalty shouldn't be an option.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 14/01/2011 10:43  

i vote we kill dynatoons for causing way too much agro with this post,,,

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 14/01/2011 16:47  

Nah boody, sure BL'll tell ya this is very tame in comparison from the previous site we were on.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 14/01/2011 17:16  

@boody
Ironic, that a thread about 'death' should breathe such life into a largely dead forum .

@Letthegoodtimesrol
I could post 'evidence' about the Death Penalty working, and equally I can post 'evidence' that it doesn't work. There is no definitive answer, (that I am aware of).
The OP doesn't ask this question, merely are you for it or against it.
Maybe you could post links from credible sources that definitively say that it doesn't work?

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 14/01/2011 17:16  

In the USA a recent study published in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology reported that 88% of the country’s top criminologists surveyed do not believe the death penalty acts as a deterrent to homicide. Eighty-seven percent of them think that the abolition of the death penalty would not have a significant effect on murder rates and 77% believe that “debates about the death penalty distract Congress and state legislatures from focusing on real solutions to crime problems.” (M. Radelet and T. Lacock, DO EXECUTIONS LOWER HOMICIDE RATES?: THE VIEWS OF LEADING CRIMINOLOGISTS, 99 Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology 489 2009)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> If you desperately want to read the full thing....... http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/files/DeterrenceStudy2009.pdf<o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 14/01/2011 17:33  

2009 , was hoping for a more up to date text.

Lol, so the above breaks down as, its not a deterrent, as murders etc would remain the same if it were abolished anyway.
So we might as well save the tax payer then. Spend the saved cash on pot holes

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 14/01/2011 17:39  

do you know how long studies take to complete Dyna???? if you look at some of the other studies from the US you'll find that the states that have abolished the death penalty have falling murder rates. oh course there may be no correlation between the two things....but then maybe there is.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 14/01/2011 17:44  

Yes cause they are all executed .

I'm really interested in this subject, so if anyone CAN find an up to date link hopefully from 2010 I'd appreciate it.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 14/01/2011 17:54  

Dyna' if you read what I've consistently said doesn't claim that. it was others that claimed otherwise and could produce no evidence. I answered the question with a no regardless of a +ve or -ve deterrent effect. I hope that's clear. And if as you say it's inconclusive (Though I suspect it's as others say.) Then it's just ridiculous to reintroduce something so irreversible. Course that's my opinion and I fully expect to be challenged on that.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 14/01/2011 18:00  

Dyna' KG was very clear that States who ABOLISHED the death penalty saw a reduction. But goes on to-say there's not necessarily a connection.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 14/01/2011 18:03  

"Everyone has an opinion, its just mine is more right than yours...."

I love that

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 14/01/2011 18:10  

Sorry Dyna' where does that quote come from?

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 14/01/2011 18:16  

I would be big headed if I told you, so I won't.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 14/01/2011 18:35  

LT and all else who do oppose the death penallty .. .. Fine, that is your opinion .. .. mine is the opposite. So far so good !! How would you propose that we deal with the likes of Roy Whiting, Fred & Rose West, Ian Brady & Myra Hindly, Peter Sutcliffe & all the other repeat, serial killers?? Its not as if these people had a momentary lapse or sudden emotional attack .. .. these are are evil people - - I cant think of a different description for them, can you? Hey Dyna, I like that quote

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 14/01/2011 18:45  

Lock them up simple. Forever if need be. And no, I'm not one of these do-gooders I believe across the scale from motoring onwards, the penalties don't reflect the damage to society. And to hold a different opinion is fine GT. It's when that opinion is formed by "fact" and no evidence to substantiate it is put forward when requested I have a problem taking that opinion seriously.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 14/01/2011 18:58  

I'm assuming rightly or wrongly Dyna' that quote is directed at me. If that's the case you couldn't be more wrong.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 14/01/2011 19:01  

@Letthegoodtimesrol
- No it wasn't

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/attachments/open-forum/27457d1244675809-ok-wheres-facepalm-emoticon-double-facepalm.jpg

@GT
- "
How would you propose that we deal with the likes of Roy Whiting, Fred & Rose West, Ian Brady & Myra Hindly, Peter Sutcliffe & all the other repeat, serial killers??
Its not as if these people had a momentary lapse or sudden emotional attack .. .. these are are evil people - - I cant think of a different description for them, can you?"

A very very very painful slow death that ideally doesn't cost us more than a litre of petrol , perleeese.
Bonafide guilty, no question = death

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 14/01/2011 19:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email