MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Music while riding?

Music while riding? - Forums [Biker Match] Music while riding? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Music while riding?

I think this might be my first post on BM so i best make it a good un.

Was out for a ride today and for the first time i thought ill take my ipod to keep me company, after about 30mins i couldnt hack not being able to hear my engine and general traffic around me and i was riding like a maniac possesed by the devil on speed/ecstasy/cocaine and any other class A high.

So my questions.... Do you ride with music, what type of music and do you think its safe not being able to fully hear/concentrate on whats going on around you?

Update Reply
coster83 @ 09/01/2011 21:43  

i pilly and generally sing

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 09/01/2011 21:47  

Never actually tried it coster.. 1..I aint got an ipod!! 2..I listen to EDM/Trance music.. 3..Same as you..Too distracting/Posessed..Just wouldn,t feel safe..

Update Reply
old red @ 09/01/2011 21:49  

Prefer hearing the tune of me engine, its music to my ears in itself. Do like to sing though which when you're wearing an open face helmet can get you some funny looks at pedestrian crossings and traffic lights...........

Update Reply
Smarty_UK @ 09/01/2011 22:16  

used to do it but reckon it gives your bike another 10bhp! lol gone back to singing too....its a bit safer....just not for anyone that can hear you!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 09/01/2011 22:21  

Like you Coster tried riding with music few years back to keep me awake on way to work at 4am couldn't get on with it prefer the sound of the bike adds more to the feel of the ride...(and safer I think)

Update Reply
Rooster roo @ 09/01/2011 22:23  

Never tried it. I do miss music when I'm out on the bike so I usually talk to the bike. Funnily enough, the conversation today was 'should I buy an ipod touch or stay loyal to sony and get the new sony walkman'

Update Reply
Contradiction @ 09/01/2011 22:35  

I ride with my ipod almost always, specially on long motorway trips, but only have it loud enough to work in the back ground. I go everywhere with my music, but it does mean you have to be a litte more aware of the world around you.

Update Reply
aussiegeezer @ 09/01/2011 22:39  

I sing on the back of a bike, close my eyes and lean heavily on the rider, god help them!! No one has complained yet!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2011 22:40  

I've tried it, but i find it too uncomfortable to have the ear piece in. My lid is tight and it rags it half out when i put it on, so i've given up

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 09/01/2011 22:46  

I don't like riding with earplugs in, i always feel sort of detached from the bike. Though sometimes i use them for motorway or long runs where the wind noise can get on my nerves. Also, i didn't spend loadsa cash on racepipes to not want to listen to 'em

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 09/01/2011 22:56  

I often listen to music on motorway trips, but never off motorway. It just relieves the boredom.

However, having an Autocom and a Zumo, it's easy to turn it on and off and I can still listen to music with the earplugs in.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 09/01/2011 22:58  

Loving the replies, looks like im gonna start singing or discussing things with my bike from now on.

Old Red- Like the choice of music!! Possibly not the best to ride with, neither was my choice of 100 best Drum and Bass tracks of 2010. I think Zero7 or maybe classical might be more appropriate, boring but could be a life saver.

Contradiction- Stick with sony, Ipods are'nt all that IMO. If i could get minidiscs still i might resurect my sony MD player from donkies ago.

To the Pillys, ive never had a singer but im sure i will. What are you singing and do you do little dance moves on the bike too?

Update Reply
coster83 @ 09/01/2011 23:03  

well ive seen several cyclists get knocked off bikes because they cant hear whats going on around them and arnt concentrating so i guess no its not safe on a motorbike either,ok for pillion but if i was in charge i wouldnt do it.

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 17/01/2011 22:55  

I've tried it but couldn't find a comfortable balance between being able to hear the engine and being able to hear to music, and with rock it's gotta be loud lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/01/2011 06:02  

No, I like to hear the bike and the traffic. I do sing though !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/01/2011 09:11  

Not thru town but do on long motorway journeys. I have tinitus so it either gets agrevated by the wind noise or by something nice. Ear plugs just make it seem louder by cutting out the background noise. I've had an i-pod classic 160 for over 3 years coster and can't find fault with it.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 18/01/2011 09:23  

i`m with geoff, ride with a zumo, but have custom made ear plugs with speakers in them, (injection moulded silicon so perfect/comfortable fit) find these tend to last 6-8 years , of 20,000 ish miles, and the fit pays for them! lots more comfortable, and because of them i can hear low level conversation noise, engine noise with nil damage to hearing, a big BIG help doing lots of miles, and considering up to 5 yrs ago i was anti music on bike, i am now a complete convert. i have music levels so low i can hear pillion talk, road noise engine noise(tho keep that down, termigs kill ya ears!) def my best ever bike related buy.

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 18/01/2011 13:27  

I always ride with my walkman on.

I don't find it distracting at all.

As for not being aware of what's going around me I use my eyes and mirrors for that.

I have had a few heated discussions with a work mate who told me it is dangerous to listen to music on my bike.

my answer was "so you do not listen whilst driving, he replied " yes but it's different in a car"

Update Reply
marsey @ 18/01/2011 14:18  

Harley Rider - wouldn't be able to hear it anyway
- If you have to listen to , music to make riding fun........??
- Too much of a distraction.

@marsey - difference is, your mate is surrounded by tin, not leather

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 18/01/2011 14:27  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email