MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Trike help!!!

Trike help!!! - Forums [Biker Match] Trike help!!! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Trike help!!!

Have just bought a lovely shiny virago trike. She seems to have a wee problem though. The steering is unbelievably heavy. To the point that when you turn her lock to lock, you are lifting the front end up in the centre, and dropping it down towards lock.
She has a 19" wheel on the front. Would a smaller, say 17" wheel sort this out??
Advice much appriciated!! Ta! xxxxxx

Update Reply
VFRbabe @ 22/09/2010 21:01  

Sounds like the rake is too much dropping to a smaller wheel may solve it but it's a suck it and see thing! It'll go great in the straight as it is but at higher speeds you'll possably be fighting it to go round corners if it is the rake/trail angles!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 22/09/2010 21:14  

When you pick up speed, she starts to 'shake' her head. think its part of the same problem.

Update Reply
VFRbabe @ 22/09/2010 21:24  

VFR is it just me or does it have a lean to the right? When you look at the photo from the back the exhausts look parallel with the rear axle but not at right angles to the bike! If it's leaning that would make the steering heavier and cause front end instability as the tyre tries to fight with the inclination to steer to the right!

I might be talking bollocks but it deffo doesn't look like it's sitting as it should, maybe just a camera angle thing but if not it's worth parking it on level ground and having a good look

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 22/09/2010 21:33  

If it's shaking it's head then it sounds more like not enough rake, there is a site on the net that explains about rake and trail and what effects it has (you may just leave it alone and put either 1 or 2 steering dampers on it!) Most the problem with trike steering is it works differently to how the original bikes steering was designed. unfortunatelt there is no either quick or cheap way of solving it! You could try seeking out a local trike builder for a bit of "professional advice"

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 22/09/2010 21:34  

needs more rake meaning the front Axel needs to be further forwards in front of line of head stock ! can be done by putting ajustable yokes on or by fitting a pair of leading link forks on see link http://www.unitsidecars.co.uk/forks...tml not cheap way of sorting it but it will work. only other way would be to grow yeh muscles lass

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 22/09/2010 21:41  

It doesnt lean rusty, its just that the carpark is on a hill!! Lol

Think you might be right about the rake hull, she doesnt seem to have much, so is probably carrying the weight on the front wheel. Eek!!!

Update Reply
VFRbabe @ 22/09/2010 21:41  

Maybe it's just got one too many wheels??

I'll go now lol!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 22/09/2010 21:52  

Lol geoff, run fast!!!!!!

Update Reply
VFRbabe @ 22/09/2010 21:55  

well vfr i would say if its a standard bike with just a trike conversion i am not surprised the steering is heavy. it usually means you are going into the bends too fast!

leading links will solve it and i believe adjustable yokes would as well.

they all cost money - so get down that gym!

would love to see this trike in the flesh.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2010 22:51  

i had the same problem with the yam xj750 trike - it was either change the forks - build some muscles - or sell it - now i have the xv yam xv750 - perfect :-)

Update Reply
PHOTOGRAPHER1 @ 24/09/2010 00:05  

Try inflating the tyre by another 5 - 10 psi and see if it helps. It'll be cheaper if it works but the tyre life may not last as long.

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 24/09/2010 01:10  

Hi vfr What you are experiancing there are 2 different problems typical of trike conversions where the original bike was a custom cruiser, too much rake & trail in the front end is causing the flopping from side to side just as it does on the stock bike only you notice it now as you cant lean The head shaking is caused by the stock rounded bike tyre trying to do what its designed to do IE: lean from side to side, a square section sidecar type tyre will stop this but it will make the steering heavier Jacking the rear end up a little &/or droping the forks through the yokes will both reduce the trail & alter the steering, but wether it will be an improvement from what you have now is down to trial & error, both will stiffen the steering A steering damper will not solve the problem only mask the results of too much rake but may a usefull addition if all else fails slim

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/10/2010 08:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email