MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Why does packing for a new house take so long?

Why does packing for a new house take so long? - Forums [Biker Match] Why does packing for a new house take so long? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Why does packing for a new house take so long?

I am just packing all my stuff up to move houses at the weekend and I find myself opening one box, sitting down and looking through everything in the box.

I think that moving house can be so psychologically damning! Coming across old pictures, memories and treasures! Probably not good doing it while listening to some strong Power Ballads!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/08/2010 21:11  

Make sure you label all those boxes...then you won't have to peep again!!
Good luck with the move...a good time to call in favours:>

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 09/08/2010 21:21  

lol ... mbw ... been there and done that! Power Ballads and old pics ... awwww

Update Reply
rockchick123 @ 09/08/2010 21:22  

I am moving this coming Sat'day and up to now i aint packed a thing - me thinks this going to go badly lol x

Update Reply
suzed2805 @ 09/08/2010 21:28  

haha...yeah labelling is the most important thing definitely!

It's great isn't hey Rock Chick? Got myself a bottle of rose on the go, power ballads and packing! Very chick flick-esque!

It's amazing how much crap you accumulate over the years too hey?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/08/2010 21:29  

Wouldnt even begin to know where to start with all my 'crap' lol Dont envy you mbw ... but with you in spirit :)

Update Reply
rockchick123 @ 09/08/2010 21:33  

You wait until you've got to clear out the family home where you were brought up. That's when you really start going off on a memory trip!

Update Reply
Wills @ 09/08/2010 21:37  

I had to clear my garage earlier this year and opened boxes packed before I moved in 5 years ago. What delights in here I wondered? What a load of crap...boxed up, transported, stored....how stupid is that? Be ruthless and chuck stuff away now cos there's loads of opportunities to collect masses more crap when you move in

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 09/08/2010 21:54  

yeh agree there you seem to collect more crap whenever you move so get rid of some now mate lol
good luck with your move

Update Reply
wozabee @ 10/08/2010 06:49  

When I was a little girl, I had the world's supply of dolls and I mean the world's supply.....some of which looked very baby realistic!! When I left the family home to move to my own place, I am not sure why we did it but all of my dolls were 'disposed' of in the cavity wall behind the fireplace. Some years later, the house was demolished and I often wonder if the demolition men got a fright when all of these dolls came trundling out of the cavity wall

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 10/08/2010 07:02  

I'm in the same position - gonna be moving soon, however I'm moving from a 4 bed house to a 1 bed flat.....which will be furnished!!! so the vast majority is gonna go into storage, so I have to be really ruthless! It's hard, but it has to be done..I just need to get a bit more of a move on & do it!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 10/08/2010 07:49  

That's exactly like me Stella, it's all furnished and I have loads of things to move so think they're all going in the attic. I am what I like to call a hoarder! ha-ha.

Cheers Wozabee and Rockchick I'm hoping for a nice smooth move and no problems along the way....is life really that perfect? haha. Never!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2010 08:04  

MBW, re: packing boxes. If you're using a removal firm, they will supply them. All you need is some parcel tape and a marker pen. Department Stores? Do you know of anyone who has moved IN recently? Supermarkets, some have a recycling section where they put their boxes, you just help yourself, I can't understand why you couldn't get any from the supermarket, try other supermarkets. Even corner shops have empty boxes Tip 1: make a brief list of what is in the box (before you seal it) make a copy, put the list in the box, keep the copy with you. Mark the box and the list with corresponding number, or room name. That way you don't even need to open the box to know what's in it. Tip 2: In a box (when you find one) put kettle mugs tea / coffee /sugar tea spoon washing up liquid biscuits / crisps cutlery small plates flask of milk (to keep cold until the fridge is plugged in) Kitchen sink optional lol Keep this box with you, don't let the removers, or anyone else, pack it away. Tip3: If your land line phone isn't being connected on the day of moving make sure you have your mobile fully charged. (my removal company Bodgit & Scarper, WRAPPED my kettle up it took me all day to find it) Who the heck wraps a kettle up?? Hope your move goes smoothly, don't pack the kettle/beer lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/08/2010 08:56  

lol ... if life was that smooth John .... then it wouldnt be so interesting :)

Update Reply
rockchick123 @ 10/08/2010 09:15  

i dont envy you morcambe, moving home is more stressful than a divorce lol as for boxes... local packaging distribution companies sell boxes for pennies, at their cash sale/trade counters??? eg. National packaging, Ambassador packaging etc... good luck with your move

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2010 09:24  

moving home is more stressful than a divorce lol It is if you're still married

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/08/2010 09:27  

lol Kwak

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2010 09:29  

That is a very true comment....not that I've been divorced before but it's very stressful. The last time I moved I had just graduated, was planning my 2 week holiday in Florida and moving all at the same time.

It's amazing how such a simple thing like a box can help in so many ways! ha-ha. Thanks Kwak for that extra long helping message! Just what I needed!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2010 11:32  

Y W John I'm not known for my brevity

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/08/2010 16:20  

ha-ha. Well after looking around on the net....I get a call at work, so go downstairs to answer and it's one of my friends with about 12 boxes! Perfect for now! ha-ha!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2010 18:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email