MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Sothern Ireland

Sothern Ireland - Forums [Biker Match] Sothern Ireland - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Sothern Ireland

Info please anyone,,,, Has anyone got any info as to what the ferry port in Dublin is like regarding easy access to roads once you leave terminal????and also arriving back at ferry terminal...no plan,,just to head towards coast (west) May use Dun Laoghaire going,,(sea cat) but sold out for return journey so may use Dublin,,,which is £10 cheaper anyway... The two are less than 10k apart (i think) cheers,,,,craig

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2010 18:38  

We went in and out of Dublin last year and found it very easy to get onto the ring road. There is a toll tunnel signposted for ring road when you leave the terminal, which seemed a bit expensive as i remember . . . . on the way back, we arrived well early, so missed the toll tunnel and went into the city for a look around, then made our way back to the port. Not very well signed, but 'follow the river' navigation worked quite well!! I would definately use the ferry, toll tunnel to ring road, then head off west. The road to Galway is a mighty fine run! Have fun Oh Yeah, talking to a bloke while waiting at Dublin, he mentioned a 10% discount if you book ferry through MCN. I havent checked this but it might be worth a look.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2010 18:50  

Cheers,,,,might just book Dublin both ways then and save £20 in comparrison to Dun Laoghaire,,,,its only about 1 hr longer on ferry.. craig....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2010 18:56  

Go on Google earth and have a look at street view

Update Reply
JP @ 07/07/2010 19:18  

we all got very lost trying to find dublin port !!!! very very lost!!! lol x

Update Reply
willow @ 07/07/2010 19:23  

ps.......hope that helps !!!!

Update Reply
willow @ 07/07/2010 19:23  

Cheers sheena,,,,,thats helped very much not to make my mind up

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2010 19:29  

remember, if lost in dublin and need to get to the port . . . . . find the big river and follow it!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2010 20:24  

Sheena,,,you'd get lost in your own bathroom !!!! lol xx

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 07/07/2010 20:28  

get a sat nav! went last yr, it was fab but wet!

Update Reply
julie j @ 07/07/2010 20:28  

got my old sat nav julie,,,,its called a map!!!! (might get one though and join the modern world) i was there 3 yrs ago just for 3 days,,,rained non stop!!!!! people were great though

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2010 20:41  

Southern Ireland is gorgeous, went there a couple of years ago, absolutely loved it! I want to go back! Highly recommend Killarney and the ring of Kerry

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 07/07/2010 20:52  

we were down the road from killarny in tralee and yes deff do the ring of kerry

Update Reply
julie j @ 07/07/2010 21:00  

Ring of kerry is one of the things on the "to do list" might camp more than one night in this area and do a bit of walking as well.......weather permitting of course

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2010 21:40  

Been to Ireland many times.

Dublin is now just a big city, its lost its individuality, Cork is going that way, for smiley, relaxed friendly place, get to Galway

The ring of Kerry is a bit green for my liking, much nicer IMHO is the peninsular south of that, Bheara. Bantry bay mussels, yum yum

Dingle, not quite the hippy hangout it used to be, but great ride there, cut across from Castlemaine on the south side. Then from Dingle across the mountain to the north coast, stunning views.

If you do get the chance, try Donegal, it always seems to get missed, but its much more real Ireland, not as touristy.

I could go on and on

Pub food I've always found to be excellent, fresh fresh veg and well cooked.

What bike are you going on? If I go back I would much prefer to be on a big traile, last time I was on the ZZR1200 and it killed my wrists, bad surfaces, narrow roads, you need some softness.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2010 21:58  

Bike will be Rocket 111,,,,,not ideal but looking at bmw r1200gs,,,just wont have it in time and not going to miss chance of trip.... Will check these out as looking for non touristy places,,,,will be camping most of week but may try 1-2 nights b&b as well... got 7 lazy days fore sight seeing.... cheers craig

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2010 22:12  

i've stayed intralee and done rinig of kerry..highly recomended...............was very very wet though !! still beautiful.............

Update Reply
willow @ 07/07/2010 22:32  

someones got to break this wet ireland ???? Its has to be sunny for someone,,,,,me hopefully

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2010 22:52  

It wasn't too bad when I was there, we only had a day or so of bad weather out of a week

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 07/07/2010 22:59  

Never had a bad spell of weather in all the years going over there, yes its rained a few times, but 80% of the time its been dry !!!!

Last time is was over I B&B 'ed, time before took a tent and only stopped in a B&B twice, once cos I got wet (one of the few times it has rained) and wanted to dry out and the other time because I was in Cork (not that many campsites)

Does that help???

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/07/2010 07:12  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email