MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Diving in Egypt in November, anyone?

Diving in Egypt in November, anyone? - Forums [Biker Match] Diving in Egypt in November, anyone? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Diving in Egypt in November, anyone?

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in going to Egypt with me in November (to Marsa Alam). There's a Shark School being held, 6 dives with larger sharks (white tip, grey reef, etc). *Minimum AOW licence + 50 logged dives required. There's also a dolphin park nearby where you can snorkel or dive (if qualified). There's lots of dive sites in the area, including a house reef where you can have unlimited dives. Accomodation is either in tents, huts or chalets (the latter with power and fridge). Prices from 30-55 euros per night per person. Diving costs extra, as does kit hire if you don't have your own stuff. Licences required to dive, though can be obtained during the holiday. Flights around 300 quid return from most airports (to Marsa Alam). More info: redsea-divingsafari.com I wont be arranging this as a group due to the headache it would cause, instead you'll have to make your own booking at the resort and with the flight operator.

Update Reply
Matt @ 26/06/2010 11:43  

I'm a PADI IDC staff instructor with about 3000 dives in the Andaman Sea ... I mostly ran liveaboard boats in the Similan Islands during the 7 years before the tsunami hit us. Is that experienced enough ? ....lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2010 12:17  

haha, sorry no could you come back when you have some more experience please :-) Hey are you up for it then mate?

Update Reply
Matt @ 26/06/2010 16:13  

I'll consider it Matt, especially if there will be diving on the Thistlegorm, but financailly it's not looking good at the moment & it's hard not to go into dive leader mode when I'm on dive trips ....lol

I've already had a couple of mails on here, with queries about diving courses etc. Although I'm no longer in teaching status, I'm always happy to help if anyone has any pertinent questions.

Check out... www.thejunk.com ... I was involved in the restoration and the diving experiences for this boat.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2010 17:00  

hiya matt, i do know that bikerbitch and her husband have been there diving.............i'll let her know...............x

Update Reply
willow @ 26/06/2010 17:47  

Hi Matt. Ill check out my diary for November, my wife and I are looking at Egypt in November, Usually dive there at least once a year. we were considering Marsa Alam as an alternative to Hurghada. I am a PADI Course Director and HSE part 4 Commercial Media Diver. My Wife is PADI CD, HSE Part 4 and is also a marine Biologist. Flat tracker. I'm in Poole and in teaching status if you need anything PADI wise updated. Although Im currently working in Q8 till next week.

Update Reply
scubasteve @ 26/06/2010 21:36  

lol BM now = Buddy Match lol

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 26/06/2010 22:06  

haha brilliant I had no idea the site was full of dive professionals! That would be great though, and dive leaders are always welcome. Will help me use less air if I'm not stressing about leading a group myself. Thistlegorm is on my to-do list, not sure how possible it will be though this year. Need to check how far it is. This is the Shark School on - sharkschool.com This is the Dolphin House - youtube.com/watch?v=pbD9L6EHM2k Gonna be awesome. Planned to go with a few friends, though nothing is booked until I get my hernia sorted out (6 blood months now). Steve/Flat, you working with PADI stuff still? Wondering if it's possible to get divemaster DVDs cheap for example (just want to better my skills). Or have anything I can just borrow before we go? I'm becoming a real diving addict, but am frustrated that I can't dive here in Europe (well not really anywhere nice like Egypt). Wonder how many bikers are divers? Or take part in other thrill-seeking activities. Maybe its in our blood?

Update Reply
Matt @ 27/06/2010 00:15  

Matt .... Steve's probably more help to you there, I'm no longer in teaching status or a PADI member. I don't have any DVD's all mine are still video cassettes ....lol

Steve .... Thanks for the offer ... I'm just down the road in Weymouth, maybe we should meet up sometime. Although I lost a lot of my investment, in a dive shack, washed away by the tsunami, I mainly managed & worked on liveaboards, where I taught continuing education ( I can get updated for free in Thailand) I might consider updating at some point if another liveaboard post comes up, but the reason I never reached MI or CD is only down to my not teaching enough entry level diving.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/06/2010 09:05  

haha videos, I've not seen a video player for years. Steve, does your wife still teach? Might need a female instructor for Laura (think it'll give her more confidence because she's really doubtful about even trying it).

Update Reply
Matt @ 27/06/2010 12:52  

Matt, My wife is not in teaching status due to her full time job now as a Paramedic although getting nervous students in the water is one of her skills. Iv'e got a box full of PADI stuff at home, All up to date and on DVD :) Ill check out whats there when I get back from Kuwait next week. Flat ill Catch up with you in Weymouth unless your up for Poole quay Bikers night on tuesdays throughout the summer. Did my PADI CD 18 years ago now but only dive for fun these days, No money in it now.

Update Reply
scubasteve @ 27/06/2010 21:26  

definitely no money in it, so i just wanna go to divemaster level to be a better diver. Would be nice to retire and set up a dive shack in Fiji actually though. Them DVDs would be brilliant!! It'd be great if you could send them over, I'll sort you out for postage etc and send them back when I'm finished.

Update Reply
Matt @ 27/06/2010 23:29  

Hmmmm - Sounds AWSOME - I'd Love to go, I have AOW but only 36 dives logged :-( Would have been 40, but we got weathered out on a couple of days up in the Farne Islands last weekend, but still managed to get a couple of dives in with the seals. Not sure that I'd be able to get another 14 dives in time ..... though that is only 7 days .... I wonder

Update Reply
atomic weasle @ 05/09/2010 19:52  

Hey, welcome to the site.
Not sure if it's going ahead at the moment, as I have to have an operation on my back just a few weeks earlier. Will post an update when I know for sure

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/09/2010 20:12  

Wonder how many bikers are divers? Or take part in other thrill-seeking activities. Maybe its in our blood?

I thought all bikers were adrenaline junkies Matt lol

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 05/09/2010 20:17  

Matt, if still going ahead ... as my adopted parent ... do I get to go THIS time! lol

Update Reply
rockchick123 @ 06/09/2010 15:20  

ohhhh have you lot SEEN the film JAWS arghhhhhhhhhhhh

Update Reply
madhat @ 06/09/2010 15:24  

lol i have never been to egypt and i cant dive but i hope u have a fantasdic time

Update Reply
earthwind @ 07/09/2010 16:51  

Madhat - have you seen SHARKWATER? If not then I think you should watch it, all of you, and become more educated about sharks. I'll take some fotos with the sharks for you (i wont be in a cage either). Earthwind... you MUST go diving. It's a life experience you will never forget and I think it should be a legal requirement for everyone to try once before diving :-) Like riding a bike or flying a plane, everyone should try at least once

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/09/2010 21:28  

If i could afford it i would be there in a flash

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 07/09/2010 21:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email