MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

paint and plastics

paint and plastics - Forums [Biker Match] paint and plastics - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

paint and plastics

dose any one out there know how to get paint off plastic parst ie fairing pannels theres a few realy bad layers of paint want to remove it then repaint from scratch if i use nitromores is it likley to ruin the abs plastics ? any ideas would be great guys n gels

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 09/06/2010 21:12  

copied and pasted this off the web, this guy does it for a living, apologies for caps appreciate it if a Mod can change it for me FIRST REMOVE ALL DECALS AND GLUE RESIDUE. SAND PANELS TO BE PAINTED WITH 400GRIT 3m WETSANDING PAPER FOLLOWED BY 600GRIT3m WET SANDIND PAPER. IF ANY INPERFECTIONS FILL WITH STANDOX PUTTY OR 3M GLAZING PUTTY. SAND PUTTY WITH 600 GRIT WET PAPER. CLEAN PANELS WITH DUPONT 3900 0R ENAMEL REDUCER. MAKE SURE THERE DRY AND PRIME WITH DUPONT 4004 ULTRA PRODUCTIVE PRIMER AND USE A GRAVITY FEED SPRAY GUN FOR BEST RESULTS.APPLY 3 WET/MED COATS.LET DRY FOR 2 HRS. RESAND ALL PRIMER SMOOTH WITH 400 3m PAPER AND THEN 600 3m PAPER. DECIDE ON COLOR AND YOUR READY TO SPRAY BASECOAT. SPRAY BASE UNTILL COVERED WITH EVEN WET COATS LETTING EACH COAT DRY FOR 5 MINUTES.FINALLY YOUR READY TO CLEAR 2 OR 3 COATS TO ACHEIVE DESIRED SHINE AND FLOW. STOP AT A DUPONT WHOLE SALE STORE AND GET SOME PRODUCTS AND PAINT.

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 09/06/2010 21:20  

thank trace but the paint needs to be off coz it reacts with new paint i think its been treaded with some inustrial crap mat paint like Hammerite it is but thats good info there too

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 09/06/2010 21:29  

Neal if you call me tomorrow I'll put you in touch with a coatings consultant

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/06/2010 21:38  

cheers RK is that a posh term for painter nowdays ? lol

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 09/06/2010 21:54  

No he's a chemist that specifies different coatings for different materials, I can put you in touch with a good decorator though if you'd prefer

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/06/2010 21:58  

hahaha i aint wallpapering it mate although it may look better

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 09/06/2010 22:00  

Regarding your old paint reacting with the new, you can buy an isolator paint which you spray over the old before applying the new paint. It forms a barrier between the two and stops any potential reactions happening. Obviously do any repairs and preparation, flatting off etc, first before applying. You can buy some called 'Barcoat'. Just ebayed a 1ltr tin, going for £13-15. Hope this helps.

Update Reply
red_daytona @ 09/06/2010 22:52  

Don't use nitomors niel. i ruined a belly pan once doin that. it melts the surface of the plastic.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 09/06/2010 23:15  

cheersred-daytona trouble is its got so many layers of paint all ready wich has cracked hence i wanted to take it back but i could filler it and spay caoting over as you say ill go find some and read up on it blues i wont use nitromorse mate if its going to melt the plastics looks like an awfull lot of sanding need to be done then as nukins said ! thanks guys

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 10/06/2010 18:06  

any body fancy a sanding party

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 10/06/2010 21:21  

Next meet up Wheely we can all bring some 600grit.. We,ll get you started

Update Reply
old red @ 10/06/2010 21:25  

WN,used to paint bikes,and the only way i know is hard work mate,sorry,but it is the only way,what do you intend to paint with?there are a few different types of paintcheapest is oil paint,but it is very durable,and, gives off a really good shine that stays,if you need any help msg me,ok?edd.

Update Reply
whiteairedfox @ 10/06/2010 22:34  

forget the 600 grit you need to get all that crap off your pannels try 120 grit use a machene on larger areas if u can get ya hands on 1 b careful not to dig the edge in try to keepit flat once u got it stripped go over it with a bit finer paper about 320 grit then apply 3 good coats of primer make sure u get a primer suited plastic/fiberglass r not the same when the primers dried then get the 600 out and wet flat this will take out any sanding marks showin through the primer then apply your colour again 3 coats then dependin on how fussy you are u can wet flat with about800 grit and stick a couple more coats on or wet flat with 1200 grit or higher and polish i bin a paint sprayer for 26 years it realy aint technical stuff good luck with it

Update Reply
laimdan @ 22/06/2010 13:09  

cheers Ed and bluejeans looks like hard graft the only way to go then ah well lol
you say three coats of colour even if im putting a lacquer coat on it too

tell you wot i didn't have this problem with seat hump but then there wer not thick yayers of paint cracking and falling off that peace

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 22/06/2010 17:42  

wheely ifyour useing basecoat its very thin so still 3 fairly easy coats before lacquar you dont want to put the lacquar on and then relize its a bit see through when you get it out side if you use solid colour no need to lacquar it

Update Reply
laimdan @ 22/06/2010 18:01  

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 22/06/2010 19:51  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email