MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Biker Camping Tips n Tricks

Biker Camping Tips n Tricks - Forums [Biker Match] Biker Camping Tips n Tricks - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Biker Camping Tips n Tricks

There was a few of us at the weekend sharing ideas and tips and I thought it might be a good idea to share your tip with others on the forum so here's a couple from me.

1) To make any steel/ally pan non stick simply clean it, heat it up on the stove till it's VERY hot then sprinkle salt all over the inside. Roll the salt round the pan then rinse it immediately with cold water. The sodium forms a lubricating film that lasts for a few uses until you do it again.

2) I've got a camping list on my desktop that I add to every time I forget to take something. As you pack just change the font colour of the items on the list so you can see at a glance what you're about to forget again!

3) Instead of taking a bottle of washing up liquid just put one of those washing up sponge things in a small tupperware tub, soak it in washing up liquid then wrap it in cling film. Nice and light on the bike, no leaks and it lasts for a few days if you squeeze it out in the tub before it's first use as it absorbs all of the liquid on the way to site.

If you've got any tips add them and we'll all learn something new

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/06/2010 18:41  

Don't forget to take a small powerful torch with you. You may have a lamp for in the tent, but getting to the tent afer maybe a few beers, across a dark field, can be tricky!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 08/06/2010 18:51  

What a great idea Terry! The only one I can think of at the moment is instead of taking bulky loo rolls, just use a flattened loo roll tube or a piece of card and wrap loo roll round it, much less bulky. Also wet wipes of course, instead of washing kit. I'm sure i will think of more stuff later, your tips are really usefull!

Update Reply
Karey @ 08/06/2010 18:56  

If you find carrying a big tent too much for your space capacity buy instead a lightwieght shelter and some alloy poles then use it as an extension to your living space with a small tent....there is even room for a bike under there.....you can cover the entrance to two or three tents and share the space....use heavy duty pegs and either bungee or para cord to secure the ends to the pegs and it won't be affected too much by wind......they cost only a few quid as well..... .....simples

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2010 20:28  

A good tip I learnt a long time ago is to turn up at the campsite, say "Oh no, I've forgotten my tent, sleeping bag and all my other camping gear, what a catastrophe!". And then go book yourself into a nice hotel nearby.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/06/2010 20:37  

A good tip I learnt a long time ago is to turn up at the campsite, say "Oh no, I've forgotten my tent, sleeping bag and all my other camping gear, what a catastrophe!". And then go book yourself into a nice hotel nearby. - Big girls blouse!!!!!

Line your rucksack with a black bag, that was if your bag leaks, your clothes stay dry.

Update Reply
VFRbabe @ 08/06/2010 20:47  

or better still Geoff, to avoid any last minute disappointments book the nice hotel before leaving home

Update Reply
julie j @ 08/06/2010 20:51  

Geoff and julie this is a camping thread, i'm sure there'll be another thread somewhere for old people to book hotels!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/06/2010 21:07  

Take something to put your sidestand down on so it doesn't sink into soft ground, and keep it easily accessible in an outside pocket so you can actually get to it and use it as soon as you park up.

Crushed beercans work pretty well and are pretty much mandatory for the rat bikers I tend to hang with, but I have a purpose made plastic one ('pucks, I think they're called?) which is far more secure and less likely to be forgotten when I leave.

Update Reply
Warhed @ 08/06/2010 21:45  

yes Terry miss Kwak has kindly put up a link to biker friendly b&bs, this site really does cater for all!

Update Reply
julie j @ 08/06/2010 21:48  

My tip is camp next to Sumo he has all the gear including a shower!

Update Reply
moonstone @ 08/06/2010 21:48  

"Newsflash" sumo did not have his shower at freecamping and lets not let him forget this !!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2010 21:50  

Of course,if you haven`t got anything to put under your sidestand,park your bike so it leans away from your tent,so as to avoid the inevitable during the night

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 08/06/2010 21:52  

oooh julie what a retort! This is a camping thread not a B&B

You can attach your puck to your front brake lever with a piece of string so you can pick it up without leaning over or asking for help. Craig (cw1066) did this at the weekend and I thought it was a great tip

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/06/2010 22:02  

"You can attach your puck to your front brake lever with a piece of string so you can pick it up without leaning over or asking for help."

Lol - what was he riding? - an Africa Twin with jacked up suspension?

Update Reply
Warhed @ 08/06/2010 22:17  

Does your 'puck' have a hole in it then Terry, for the string to go thro? Most pucks I've seen don't have holes in. Great tips BTW Terry

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/06/2010 22:22  

A triumph Rocket 3 warhed so yes lol

I wouldn't dream of leaning over and touching the deck on a fully laiden bike in a wet field so it's not the size it's the load

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/06/2010 22:25  

And my Rocket 3 dry weight is 320kg (704lb) approx 50stone plus camping gear,,,,and lets not forget the most important piece of gear----the alcohol,,,inc port,,,wine,,,lager

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2010 22:28  

kwak my puck doesn't have a hole but it will have by the end of the week

Tip: 30 seconds with a drill and a piece of string

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/06/2010 22:32  

Errrrrrrrrrr, whoops, gone through at least4-5, but I keep finding them too

but I have a purpose made plastic one ('pucks, I think they're called?) which is far more secure and less likely to be forgotten when I leave.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2010 22:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email