MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Classifieds & Swap Shop

Wanted Triumph Daytona

Wanted Triumph Daytona - Forums [Biker Match] Wanted Triumph Daytona - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Classifieds & Swap Shop /

Wanted Triumph Daytona

I'm looking to buy an early Daytona 900 and preferably a shiny black one ;) in a few months time.
Can anyone help?
Cheers

Update Reply
Dave Badger @ 29/05/2010 23:40  

Hi Dave,

A few months ago, I asked for information on the Triumph Daytona 955i since I was trying to get something to replace an Aprilia Falco which, shall we say, I wasn't getting on with.

It seemed that the consensus was that I should buy a Honda! However, one good piece of information was to get on the Triumph Torque web site which did prove useful. It showed me that the 955i had a number of weaknesses like starter sprag clutches and charging that it shared with Italian V-twins. So I ended up getting a Kawasaki ZX-9R which has no significant weaknesses.

I presume you want one of the old sports tourer Daytonas which were over-engineered and probably don't suffer from the weaknesses of later models. I used a 900 Sprint for over 80,000 miles with few problems except an ignition coil. Some of the dealers in my part of the world like Ongar Motorcycles and on your Triumph keep some good second hand stock but I don't know whether they would keep much in the way of the old 900s. You may be able to get one through the forum. Anyway, good luck, be flexible - the other models of that era were all mechanically similar - and don't be talked into buying a Honda.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 08/06/2010 07:31  

I take it you dont like Honda,s then

Update Reply
oitsnik @ 08/06/2010 17:40  

Had an early 750 daytona and have had a 955i.

The 750 was excellent, super solid bike, good mpg, handled well enough, comfortable, good on tyres, did a lot of two up touring, hard to fault. I cant see the 900 being that much different.

My 955i, again no issues at all, no problems with the clutch or charging, on the twisties, brilliant, more than match for the R1's and GSXR's, would never had have sold it if I still lived in South Wales.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2010 18:19  

ive got an early re 93 Daytona 900 its mat black and its mine get your own lol bloody good bike though highly recomend it only thing ive found is that the bars can not be ajusted and the fairing gets in your way at 36,000 miles it seams to be going well things to look for on early modles are sprag clutch and starter clutch problems due to flat baterys aparently oh and realy bad ( Crap ) electrics in the fuse box is common place too but if you find a 900 super 111 ill swap yeh for it as its slightly more power full but loses some midrange as you would expect but comfy and fun but not too fast 140 ish woops no i didnt and gets there without scaring the hell out of you !! ps. realy good two up as well seams to prefure it dose any one else find that with there bikes ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 08/06/2010 19:02  

I have a 94 naked trident 900 that I may sell (if I get one of the jobs i'm applying for!) It has done 14800 miles and I have most of the old mot's. It's in very good condition for the year and has the fairly rare, black and red tank. It has surprised me with its build quality (bolts that don't seem to have been removed previously are still in good condition!). I am doing up my Pan European at the moment but when that's finished I'm thinking of selling both and getting a new 1250 GT Bandit, although I want a test drive on one first to see if I can get on with it. Any thoughts on the Bandit? I prefer a faired bike nowadays as i've become a bit of a whimp so the triumph's not for long term, also, the faired Pan's a bit heavy!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 08/06/2010 19:28  

hahahahaha
Neil ya rascal ;) lol!!!
This is your fault you do realise that don't ya mate ;-)
There I was looking for a Gpz 750, but noooooooo....... ;-DDDDDD
Mr Ratty :)
I would be very interested indeed sir when the time comes, so we'll have a chat about it then and when I have the funds available, but aye Cataraptor I do want an over engineered Triumph sports tourer :-)
My mate has recommended a 1200 Bandit as they are very reliable I just like the look of the old Daytona, hmmm.
By the way gents I have found the woman of my dreams on Biker Match and wanted to share that with you :-)

Update Reply
Dave Badger @ 11/06/2010 19:34  

well done dave friend of mine has a mint 94 speed triple for sale and i meen mint think he wants £2500 for it but may be wrong there

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 11/06/2010 22:26  

Congrats Dave. I'm glad for you meeting someone special.

Having moved from an early Hinckley 900 to a 1200 Bandit, I did find the Bandit to be better in nearly every respect except the sound it makes compared with the Triumph. They also tend to be a bit top heavy due to the spine frame which also makes maintenance a bit fiddly. Still, they tend to be pretty bullet proof. I did have a coil with an intermittent fault and someone on these pages also had the same thing. It may be a weakness of these models but it's important to replace the coil with a genuine Triumph one since aftermarket ones don't work.

With their age, it will probably be a private sale so MCN's Bikemart is a good place to start although some dealers may have the odd one. Also as I suggested before, go on the Triumph Torque forum to look for info and sales.

Oh, and oitsnik, I haven't anything against Hondas but there was nothing in their range that appealed and I had asked for information about the Daytona 955i.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 12/06/2010 09:15  

Thank you gentlemen, I'm such a happy bunny
I'll do my homework and ride a few bikes to see how I get on.
Enjoy your weekend.

Update Reply
Dave Badger @ 12/06/2010 10:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email