MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

GSX14 or ZZR1200

GSX14 or ZZR1200 - Forums [Biker Match] GSX14 or ZZR1200 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

GSX14 or ZZR1200

I've just sold my bike so i'm looking at either of the above as a replacement but I don't know either bike and there's no ZZR12's local to have a sit on. Have you any good/bad experience of either??

Appreciate some input please

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 21/05/2010 21:06  

Terry,,,as mentioned before,,,if you are going to do a lot of camping i think the 1400 is the ideal bike,,,more so if you fit a screen,,,tho to confuse things i do like the ZZR 1200,,,,so to top it all i am no help what so ever......my uncle has had his 1400 from new,,,FE model 07 i think and he loves it.....pipes lose there chrome quickly tho,,,only fault on his so far.......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/05/2010 21:16  

Has Kawasaki in newcastle not got one in,,,,could be worth a phone call,,,,,not to far from you!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/05/2010 21:21  

Whats the dealer called craig and thanks for no help whatsoever

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 21/05/2010 21:23  

Always pleased to offer no help what so ever Kawasaki newcastle,,,, Search Results Kawasaki Newca...NT> www.kawasaki-newcastle.co.uk195-199 Scotswood RoadNewcastle upon Tyne NE4 7DD0191 272 3335

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/05/2010 21:30  

1400 all day long terry get one

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 21/05/2010 22:35  

Alex why the 14?

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 21/05/2010 23:48  

its a good allrounder rode my mates really liked it,if i had the money i would get one as second bike and keep,i think it will be a clasic at some point,bullet proof engine it will do everything you want,even carry your kyham tent with ease lol go on you know you want to see ya soon and look forward to having a go on your 14 lol

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 22/05/2010 00:10  

I've always preferred the look of the naked CB13, but when I came to actually buy one I remembered what 80mph motorway trips feel like on a naked bike, so bought the half faired. A lack of a fairing on a big bike is something I've never understood. Ok, it can be a great speed limiter, but being unable to sit for mile after mile at decent speeds without needing neck muscles like a bull would be a real pain ... literally!

Many people love their GSX14s and I can understand why as they're cracking bikes. But given the choice, I'd go for the ZZR. It really is a top piece of machinery, I often wish I'd bought something like that instead.

It would be just as comfortable at lower speeds as the GSX, there'd be just as much room at the back for camping stuff (if you insist on doing such silly things) and on the occasions that you've got a long motorway trip in front of you, you'll be really glad of your choice as they've got one of the best fairings ever made.

One thing I'd warn you about though, they may not be as fast as the new ZZR14, but they'll still do well over 150mph with ease!!! It's not so much the potential top speed, but rather how quickly, quietly and smoothly it can get there. Also, they are quite a heavy lump, but so was the 1100 and I found that incredibly smooth and flickable for such a big machine.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 22/05/2010 06:53  

Thanks for the tips chaps, I'll see what's going this week n make my mind up ;-)

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 22/05/2010 10:02  

My last bike was a ZZR1200 ........... loved it, not everyone liked the looks tho, but that was the ZZR die hards. I had 3 ZZR1100's before that.

I had full Givi luggage with it, and a double bubble screen which is a must. Very very fast, but fast is controlled by the right wrist, saw 175mph on the clocks. They handle better than the 1100's which tended to drop in a bit on the corners, but you have to be firm with them. Tyres, I had continental road attacks on it and a back lasted about 5k. Speaking of which I found them to be very sensitive about front tyre pressures, need to be 42psi.

Really comfortable, and a tank was good for 190 miles before looking for a fill up.

Pillions might find it a bit more uncomfortable, as the seat is more stepped than the 11's, so are a little bit more in the wind.

I've ridden a GSX14, and it was good, pulled like bloody stink!! but once you are over 80mph gets to be a pain, literally and no weather protection.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/05/2010 18:57  

if it was me i would probably get the GSX1400 nice big bike and can allways put a bikini fairing on it too !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 23/05/2010 22:43  

I've had a GSX from new in 2001 and its never missed a beat, givi hard luggage means it can be used for touring (done Ireland on it) and you can ride all day and still walk at the end. Its suprisingly nimble for a big bike, decent suspension and brakes make it easy to ride at speed too. I don't think I'll ever sell it!

Update Reply
insanedj @ 28/05/2010 19:04  

Well chaps I opted for the ZZR in the end and collected it today, love it!!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 29/05/2010 17:39  

congrats Rusty, get out there and enjoy

Update Reply
insanedj @ 31/05/2010 20:38  

GSX14 for me, but then I'm biased! Also, I don't do faired bikes.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2010 20:44  

Cheers blast i've done a couple of tank fulls this weekend and it just gets better!

It's my first ever faired bike S66 and I rode it back from Cleethorpes in torrential rain on Sat afternoon but stopped at Squires on the way back for a coffee I was that warm and dry with leathers on. If I'd have been on a GSX I'd have been stopping to buy waterproofs

Doubt I'll ever buy another naked bike after this weekend!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 31/05/2010 22:06  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email