MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

cross winds

cross winds - Forums [Biker Match] cross winds - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

cross winds

im looking at changing my bike at some piont i want one that isnt as prone to cross winds as my triumph daytona my question is do all bikes blow across the lanes or just faired bikes dose yours not do it if not what is it ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 08/05/2010 18:03  

It's gonna happen more or less with all bikes niel. The more surface area you present to the wind the worse it'll be. Becouse sports bikes have quick steering they're gonna move around more easily plus you've got all that plastic. A little skinny bloke on a big heavy cruiser with a low c of g would be better.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 08/05/2010 18:19  

an unfaired bike might not be better, all the groves will hold the air more - whereas for a faired bike the air can get around easier. A reduced surface area at the rear of the bike is also important. Also, a lower centre of gravity will help you control the bike much better (this might even be the biggest factor).

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/05/2010 19:41  

I think the C of G has a big effect,.. my old ST1100's were effected a lot more than my current ST1300. While riding over the A66/Bowes Moor in winter, I'd get blown from one side of the road across both lanes, but find the 13 a lot easier to get back on line. I had top boxes on all of em, and their factory panniers too. The only other thing might effect it could be the screen height,.. differant shape and vented on the old 11's, differant height but same shape with the 13.

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 08/05/2010 20:03  

must admit my bike has a very high C or G where as my old cruiser didnt and that never botherd me ok roket three it is then just need lotto win now

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 08/05/2010 20:08  

I was following blueboy at speed last week when we left you with a strong side wind and although my suspension set up made it a little hairy the wind didn't bother it at all so it must depend on the bike rather than the type Neal. Good luck with the lottery and I hope you got it started this morning

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/05/2010 16:26  

Removed your actual speed from your post RK, be careful what you post - especially when stating the speed another member was doing! :-D Re the crosswind, if you have a fairing with good aerodynamics, it will have a fast moving wind moving smoothly around the side of the bike/fairing. This wind will "push" any incoming sidewind backwards so it has less effect. An unfaired bike just gathers air at the front with very little aerodynamics forcing wind down the side of the bike. So any sidewind will have a stronger effect

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/05/2010 16:36  

Ive been out all day on my rocket in terrible winds , doing legal speeds it copes with ease,,,,even 70 mph on open roads causes no problem with cross winds,,,,above 70 mph ,,,,from what ive been toldis a different story.. Roads today were richmond/reeth/ and up to Tann Hill and no probs with wind,,,bearing in mind this is the highest pub and roads are open!!!.....craig

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/05/2010 16:49  

I have only ridden faired bikes so dunno what an unfaired one feels like in the wind, but even so I do find my SV does not catch the wind much, well it does but its easy to keep on the straight, easier than the little one I had

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/05/2010 17:34  

Matt I dont think theres anything illegal about 1.30 mph , we walk at 2.0mph so watch your license next time you take the dog for a walk

Blues it was a tail wind lol

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/05/2010 17:52  

lol sorry, I've just removed all the related posts too. You could have put -130 lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/05/2010 18:08  

No problem Matt just a discreet use of punctuation

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/05/2010 18:29  

while i do agree that a big fairing dose catch the wind i do think the high c of g plays a bigger part in it coz it seams to take the bike out form under me rather than blow me across the road ive got bottom half of fairing off at moment to work on the bike this makes no diffrence to side winds effect at all oh and yes terry i got the bike going again turned out the main fuse was badly tarnished a good clean and tighten up the contacts and it works perfectly again sun came out bugger ! went for spin out to hornsea instead

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 09/05/2010 18:55  

Think you're right about high c of g. My Sprint is definately affected more with a pillion than without.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 09/05/2010 21:25  

I was heading to Ben Hur Durham last Friday, the side winds were really 'scary'. I ride a street bob with a low c of g, however I am big and think I catch more cross wind that the bike lol!!!!! I was asking about this at the rally and had been thinking about changing to solid wheels instead of spokes and was warned that this makes cross wind MUCH worse - so won't be doing that alteration.

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 10/05/2010 15:03  

cant say i ever noticed cross winds on my vn1500 only the daytona and my old gsx 600 seam to do it ive tried riding like a sack of spuds rather than being tense makes no diffrence hay bobcat surley the rotation of the wheels would stop the wind pushing your wheels aside ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 10/05/2010 18:42  

Neal if you lose the beard and buy a smaller helmet that could produce signs of improvement or maybe get yourself a lycra suit

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 10/05/2010 18:54  

Lots of different factors, how heavy the bike is, how heavy the rider is, how tall the rider is, any panniers and/or top box and/or camping gear.

I've had a number of ZZR's the present 1400 is better than the previous 1200 which was better than the 3 1100's before that.

My daytona 955i wasn't too bad, but it was lighter than the ZZR's and got blown around a bit more.

Years ago when I had a Jota, that used to get blown all over the place and that was naked bike.

Also seems to be a balance of going a reasonable speed and going too slow, if you are too slow it hits you more

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/05/2010 19:20  

LOL @ RK you tart its only because you want to ride in gear like that terry slow hmmmm im not sure if i qualify for too slow but i could try faster its intresting shadowfax that the jotta blew about because it seams to be the same size and shape as my triumph as its the 93 Daytona 900 not the 955 onwards all though ive great big slab sided fairing on mine

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 10/05/2010 19:51  

WheelyNealy, don't have a clue to be honest - now feeling thick lol"!

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 10/05/2010 23:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email