MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

UK Election

UK Election (3) - Forums [Biker Match] UK Election (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

UK Election

The current first past the post system to elect a party leader doesn't really equal a democracy either. It's currently more like a republic, like the US system. (And ancient Rome.)I wish we could go back to a system where decisions were made by the party as a group, rather than just the party leader.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/05/2010 15:18  

If we have a hung parliment it will be the worst thing ever for our country guys as no one party can push a motion of any reform as the other parties will reject it therefore stalemate and nothing will get done.....no matter who goes in they will have to make some hard desicions and they will not be popular as we will all suffer for the years of over spending when the coffers were full...... ...the alternative to not tackling the decifit is we loose our rating for borrowing which will cause a free fall in the markets and the value of the pound look at Greece...Portugal and others could go next...if we were in the Euro as in €, we would be as Greece is now.....remember our debt is a lot worse than Greece and still growing as bankrupt, Labour want to keep spending .... ......its like a credit card that you don't pay off...and you pay of the minimum every month but keep using it for....emergencies, or that thing you always wanted and 'need' lol and saying you'll sort it out later.... but it never does get sorted eventually you are into real bad debt and you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel... ....you need help and someone to sit you down work out finances and pay the damn thing off............well that my friends is what is required in this country....because labour have been spending what we haven't got on tick for a few years now..... hell we still pay China 30 million a year in aid...China's GDP has gone up every year and their deficit down so why are we still paying that collosus of a some to them............. Source...the Age.com.au BRITAIN'S public finances will be in a worse state than any other European country, including Greece, by the end of this year, the European Commission said this week. The British government is due to borrow the equivalent of 12 per cent of the annual output of the economy, giving the country the highest budget deficit in the European Union. So people a hung parliament means no action unless all the parties get a little of what they want meaning a watered version of any action....labour will try to spend their way out of it (we're screwed)...Tories well never thought I'd say it but hard desicions need to be made unpopular like the 70's. I know the memories of the strikes...but the unions had the country at its knees in the seventies and they needed putting down so don't hold that in your thoughts ..hard desicions then hard decisions now......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/05/2010 16:40  

A coalition means lib dems get voting reforms. after that happens there will allways be coalitions. Nothing will get done after that.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 06/05/2010 16:50  

you want to sort out UK finances stop all overseas spending. UK Official Development Assistance (ODA) reached £7,365 million in 2009, remember every 100 million is a Billion....thats 73 Billion there. The UK national debt is the total amount of money the British government owes to the private sector and other purchasers of UK gilts. From figures published February 18th 2010, UK public sector net debt was £848.5 billion. (or 59.9% of National GDP) – Source: Office National Statistics Excluding Financial sector intervention, public sector debt is £743 billion or (52.7% per cent of GDP) The PBR (annual government borrowing) forecast for 2009/10 is for net borrowing of £178 billion or 12.6% of GDP. Work it out people...we can't keep living like this if we were a company we would be slowly going bankrupt.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/05/2010 16:57  

When did a billion become 100 million? Did I miss the memo?
Traditionally a billion is a million million. The US refer to a thousand million as a billion so in recent years we've adopted that too, though technically it's a milliard.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/05/2010 17:37  

In answer to that In 1975 Chancellor Denis Healey announced that the treasury would adopt the US billion thenceforth. Presuambly at the same time what was a billion became a trillion - after all, UK inflation was at its highest whilst he was the incumbent of Number 11! Funny old thing labour were in Government then as well or have we forgotten or too young??????????? Ok so now we have squared away the fine details........when we talk about money in the uk we are adopting the way they talk about it in Government. What ever way you look at it this is still a lot of ickies to chuck abroad and I'm sure there is a lot more going out called something other than over seas developement.....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/05/2010 20:23  

Is there anyone left of right anymore ?????????

Could just go for my favourite colour I guess !!

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 06/05/2010 20:58  

just been to vote only made final decision in the polling station (got a feeling im not the only one to do this )

Update Reply
Eltel @ 06/05/2010 21:08  

based my vote on where they live. if not from round here what do they want

Update Reply
yamahama @ 06/05/2010 21:11  

Johnny, you've contradicted yourself there, in one post you've said a billion is 100 million, then in the next you've said we adopted the US system where a billion is 1,000 million. I'm not arguing politics here, just pointing out that there's a mistake in your maths.
Alice, no there isn't really a left wing option any more, the 3 main parties are all right of centre. (If that's what you meant.)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/05/2010 21:57  

I'm with you yamahama, if they ain't from here how on earth can they represent me, and isn't that what they are supposed to do.

always been optimistic me, but often disappointed by politicians,

Update Reply
thehairyone @ 06/05/2010 22:41  

All the exit polls are suggesting the Tories so time to bend over folks, we're about to be rear ended for another 5 years by a little rich boy playing with his toys.

Probably the best of the three mind you!

At least employers will be able to take people on without worrying about an NI tax and that should help boost the dosh situation or it could all be bullsh*t and we're screwed!

We're wanting to take two more people on at work but we've got to see who gets in first before we can commit ourselves. Ridiculous to think there's 10's of 1000's of jobs on hold out there cos of Brown and he's supposed to be for the working man/woman!!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 06/05/2010 22:56  

if labour get in i am moving to holland and getting stoned for a year lol

Update Reply
reaper_soul_man64 @ 06/05/2010 22:58  

can i have a job with you terry? i can cook and clean and brew up

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 06/05/2010 22:59  

RK, what makes you think Labour are for the working man?
When Blair and co relaunched the "New Labour" party they cherry picked the policies that would get them votes, and booted out the left wing element. They haven't been a party for the working class for quite some time.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/05/2010 23:02  

I've never thought Labour was for the working man GB, that's how most people round here perceive them, my Dad was a labour man all his life, that's why he never had anything!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 06/05/2010 23:12  

i think us women should be in N0 10 we woul sort the country out!

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 06/05/2010 23:51  

There's some weirdos in this election! I mean, who the hell is the guy standing for MP in Brown's constituency? Stood behind Brown with his fist clenched all through his speech.... ??? Idiot. This voting system is terrible though. Why on earth are we using paper votes, thousands of people counting them (200 pounds per person counting!)? We should be using computers for efficiency, accuracy and legitimacy.

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/05/2010 01:39  

Its looking bad so far.... ahung parliament is in the offing.....thats not going to help the country one bit what the hell are people thinking...... typical British...me dad voted for them and my dads dad so i'll vote for em too....... what an ignorant attitude...the policies have changed so much over the years how can a decision be made just because a few generations have done so...... Ah well we will see by tomorrow...beam me up Scotty......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/05/2010 03:08  

Mmmmm not looking good ............. the Welsh Scottish and Irish National parties are rubbing there hands with glee knowing that if folk want them they can make them pay huge sums to get them .......... think its a case of watch this space and whatever !!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 07/05/2010 09:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email