MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

UK Election

UK Election (4) - Forums [Biker Match] UK Election (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

UK Election

Sounds like a period of more backroom deals to me Whatever happened to the idea of MP's representing the folk that elected them ?

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 07/05/2010 09:18  

Rob that went out the window years ago me thinks ............. the old addage of money and power corrupt are very true

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 07/05/2010 09:21  

Wow, what a fscked up election. So we currently still have a Labour government, even though they lost. As the existing government they now get a chance to form a coalition, and if they do then they get to stay in power.So it's all down to Nick who gets to rule the country.Even when/if a new government is formed there's a huge question mark over their mandate. A minority government formed at an election where thousands (possibly tens of thousands) weren't allowed to vote. I can't see this one going full term.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/05/2010 09:37  

But then again ... How can the conservatives say that they have the confidence of the country when they have ... what is it .... 6 MP's in Wales, 1 MP in Scotland & 0 MP's in Northern Ireland ?

Even I know that actually that means they have the confidence of England that's all

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/05/2010 09:39  

its official,,,,country's f##k'd

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/05/2010 09:45  

Aye we may as well sell our bikes and use the money to emigrate

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 07/05/2010 09:48  

Apparently 2 million extra people meen nothing :/

Update Reply
adrenaline_Junkie @ 07/05/2010 09:49  

It could be said tho AJ ... that if those 2million who dont normallv vote had stayed at home... we would have had a result

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/05/2010 11:29  

all those voting at 10pm are a certain kind of people, probably hard working folks working late. It might be that group that could swing this election one way or another. All the pensioners for example would have voted at 8am, so we have votes from that demographic. This poll is now in a really biased (illegal?) situation. Regarding the coalition... it just goes to show how ridiculous the conservative party are if all the other parties would rather team-up with Labour! People have been voting conservative for the wrong reasons in my opinion.

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/05/2010 11:46  

bout time we had a revolution and put some one who is not a career politican in charge... some one who actually knows how to run a business..then we could have some one with relevant experience running each gov dept..not like this bunch of useless tors we get every time we have an election

Update Reply
reaper_soul_man64 @ 07/05/2010 11:59  

I've been looking at the swing in various seats. From what I've read the Tories have seen the biggest swing in Labour areas, while getting much less in the marginals. To me this says it was all about getting Labour out than Tories in. So yes, as you say, completely the wrong reason. Clegg has said he's going to talk to Tory Boy about a coalition, if that goes ahead then Gordy will have to stand aside and let the Tories form a government. If Clegg and Tory Boy don't make a deal then Labour get to stay, at least for the moment, but with an unpopular and crippled government.Given the voting problems and the lack of majority, we'll likely be doing it all again in the near future.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/05/2010 12:02  

im with repear. The head of the teachers should run schools, chief of police should run police and politicians should be sent to a small island far, far away. But here's what a hung parliament does to the pound! http://news.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currenc...traday.stm Even international investors lost all confidence in the UK, great :-(

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/05/2010 12:18  

GB... I'd be happy for an election later in the year, cos I couldn't get my voting papers to Holland in time this year (it's more difficult than you'd think). Plus I also don't think that ONE MONTH was long enough for all the parties to let UK citizens know what their policies are. The Americans spend more than a year canvassing for voters if I remember rightly, and this gives the citizens a lot of time to get to know potential leaders, learn their strengths and weaknesses, give them time to make slip-ups (like Brown last week) etc. 1 month is certainly not long enough for people to learn what the policies are of each party, which is why there's so many people voting just to get Brown out (yes he's a jerk, but at least the Labour party have a plan).

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/05/2010 12:22  

1 month was plenty. I'm sick of seeing their lying faces on every news broadcast. It's not as if 1 bunch is much different from the rest

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 07/05/2010 12:56  

A 'Hung Parliament'? Sounds good to me, who's doin' the hanging and can we watch?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/05/2010 13:31  

People have known for the past five years that an election was going to happen by the middle of this year, the parties published their election manifestos as soon as the election was announced, so they had plenty of time to find out about policies. The only thing stopping them was apathy. Personally I like the idea of a Tory/LibDem coalition, it should give enough of a check to stop Tory Boy implementing his more ridiculous policies. We do need somebody to sort out the economy, but the Tories will screw people over too much if allowed free reign.There does seem to have been a big problem with overseas voters though. Apparently a lot of military personal didn't get their paperwork back either, so those that are out there defending our right to vote didn't get to vote. Hmm.I doubt if the missing votes are enough to have any effect on the outcome, but it's disgusting the number of people who didn't get to vote even though they wanted to.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/05/2010 13:38  

should be made to do it all again then them wot left it till 930 o go out n vote can get in early enough ! what an absalute farce

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 07/05/2010 16:31  

come on if people are queued up out side waiting to vote the adjudicating officer should have the power to extend the opening of the voting station.....it does no harm what so ever.. ... as for the question of proportional representation....it is quite shocking if you look at the figures for total votes to labour and total votes to LIBDEM, for the seats they got doesn't make any sense..... I believe it is something like this... To highlight the need for electoral reform:Lib Dem's get 6.8 million votes and gain 56 seats.....Labour get 8.5 million votes and gain 256 seats.. Discuss..............

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/05/2010 17:54  

Some of the polling stations did stay open later, some took everybody inside at 10 and locked the doors, while some just locked the doors and turned people away. Consistency would have been nice.
The Democratic Unionist Party got 8 seats with 168,000 votes, while UKIP got zero seats with 917,000 votes. Not that I wanted UKIP to get anywhere, but nearly a million voters did and were completely ignored.LibDem are now basically saying they'll only team up with the Tories if they agree to electoral reform, which is unlikely. Plus they'll only work with Labour if Gordy goes, which is also unlikely. Let's hope the Tories will agree to the reforms else we're in a bit of a mess.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/05/2010 18:08  

Its all aload of old bollox .. There were people waiting to vote and many polling stations were closed , how can that be right .. I never intended on voting , as tiss all about lining their own pockets .. They should find a true why of people voting .and do things differently , They need to changed the way they are doing things and make it so that people do get the right to vote if they want too.. When the polling stations were not suppose to close till 10pm , and some were closing at 9pm , hows that right when there was quues of people waiting to vote ..? I just ignore it all and let them get on with it ...!!

Update Reply
Pendragon @ 07/05/2010 18:15  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email