MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Time to grow up!

Time to grow up! - Forums [Biker Match] Time to grow up! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Time to grow up!

I have just come back onto this site after being out of the bikin scene for some years..i had my first run out with darkcarnival and me daughter yesterday..good day out if not cut short by same sprog getting tired and sore back lol my wife this morn asked if it was not time i grew up and stopped burning round the back roads like a 18year old (she noticed the state of me back tyre) the point is do bikers actually grow up or do we all loose all comon sense the moment that helmet goes over our ears ?

Update Reply
reaper_soul_man64 @ 16/04/2010 10:40  

oooooOOOOoo that's a red rag to a bull that one is!!! why is it that some people class enjoying yourself as 'not being grown up' & anyway - who wants to grow up??? I could rant on & on about this one, but I suspect there's not enough server space! lol

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 16/04/2010 10:48  

Growing old is compulsory. Growing up, is not.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 16/04/2010 10:50  

why is it that some people class enjoying yourself as 'not being grown up' & anyway - who wants to grow up??? that was my response to her this morn...i think she worried i am gonna crash an burn and leave her with a baby...but like i told her if its in ya blood its in ya blood and i been ridin bikes for 35 years now

Update Reply
reaper_soul_man64 @ 16/04/2010 10:51  

Nice one Rob, spot on mate!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/04/2010 10:54  

I promise that when the time comes for you to make your own decision about whether to ride, I will be both supportive and realisticMotorcycles have given me more joy, and more pain, in my own life than I would ever have imagined possible. Just like my folks (neither of whom rode, although my dad did eventually succumb, getting his own bike and riding with us when I was a teenager) always said when I was a kid pestering them for his very own dirt bike, motorcycles are dangerous. That danger is to be neither ignored nor denied; it is to be faced, squarely and honestly, and dealt with on its own terms. You gotta pay for your thrills one way or another, and when it comes to riding motorcycles, the tariff can easily be your very life. But cringing away from risk isn’t the answer; hell, it’s downright un-British if you ask me. In fact, a large part of the fun of so many endeavors, hobbies, or lifestyle choices is successfully defying the risk involved and coming out the other side a wiser and more experienced human being. This is by no means an accident. At the same time, only a fool recklessly rolls the dice when he knows his bag of tricks is empty, or inadequate to cover his bets. If my daughter wants to learn to ride someday—and if she’s anything at all like her mam and dad, who have both been daredevils and hellraisers their whole lives long, then she almost certainly will—I owe it to her to give her the benefit of my years of experience riding everything on two wheels I ever had the opportunity to straddle. As if British-style thug politics wasn't bad enough - now there is the deadly fear of senior citizen biker gangs riding roughshod through the Windy towns !! and bendy roads,Be careful I'm a grandma biker,so no! I wont grow up!

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 16/04/2010 10:56  

I can't really comment, apart from saying I hope I never grow up lol ! I have lots of different hobbies but nothing compares to taking the bike out for a blast!!

What's the point if growing up ?? Lifes for living , not looking back and thinking I wish I did this and that !

Update Reply
adrenaline_Junkie @ 16/04/2010 11:04  

i think i should have listened to the only good bit of advice me dad gave me... " son only ever marry a biker as all the rest wont understand the obsession" that and "dont eat yellow snow" lol he was right on both account as well

Update Reply
reaper_soul_man64 @ 16/04/2010 11:14  

Another bit if advice for you !! Don't leAve bm in ur history because if your wife sees that lmao !! I know your feeling tho, thankfully I have started getting my mrs to pilly more so she's just beggining to enjoy biking :)

Update Reply
adrenaline_Junkie @ 16/04/2010 11:22  

cheers for that mate but that lesson i learned years ago lol

Update Reply
reaper_soul_man64 @ 16/04/2010 11:24  

Reaper i'm a returning biker as of last year after over 20 years off but I've got to say with having young kids to think about my attitude to riding has deffo grown up if nothing else!!

The thought of taking my bike out and not coming home doesn't bare thinking about. Some would say at least he died enjoying what he loved but in reality leaving my kids behind because of something I enjoy doing would be the most selfish act of any self respecting parent and it's in my mind every time I open the throttle.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying my bike but if there was any objection or worry from my children it would be in biketrader and gone in a flash.

To some that will sound like an old fart talking, to me it sounds like a father putting his responsibilities before his kicks and i'm actually pleased none of my older three lads ride as I'd worry every time they were out there. There's no doubt about it biking is a dangerous 'sport' but at least I have a little wisdom on my side, they have nothing more than testosterone!!

Only my opinion and i'm sure there's plenty of people out there who'd disagree but each to their own eh

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 16/04/2010 11:31  

It's my life It's now or never I ain't gonna live forever I just want to live while I'm alive It's my life Tho I doubt singing to the missus will calm her concerns

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 16/04/2010 11:40  

I agree with all these posts, as a 46 year old grandad of two. My daughter is always telling me to 'grow up', but not grow older. Why should I is my response.
I have taken steps to make biking easier as I get older, bought a BMW for a start. Not telling you which one but its got four cylinders and no fairing . An easier on the wrist and back riding position, than the normal 'croch rocket'
In fact a much easier bike to do long distances, 320 mile just last Sunday is one example.
But I don't want to grow up, but me body says I'm growing older. Now where's that Harley Davidson brochure

Update Reply
SPESH @ 16/04/2010 11:50  

To quote someone i can't remember... "I didn't stop playing becouse i grew old. I grew old becouse i stopped playing"

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 16/04/2010 11:59  

A 93-year-old motorcyclist has helped launch a motorcycle safety campaign aimed at both riders and car drivers. Reg Scott, from Ludham, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Norfolk</st1:City>, is one of the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region>'s oldest riders, having been on two wheels for more than 70 years, after he bought his first bike in 1937.Mr Scott's first rode a Norton 16H 490CC but now regularly rides a Honda CBF600.“Once you ride on two wheels it just gets hold of you,” he said. “It's the feeling of the wind across your face and is much better than being enclosed in a car."Mr Scott's 'Hugger' campaign aims to promote motorcycling, reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries and encourage other road users to be aware of motorcyclists.Ninety-three and still getting involved at the sharp end.Hats off to you, Sir.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 16/04/2010 12:01  

I also have no intention of growing up, its too much fun having fun, and like cytm says......its ya body that says your growing older, but my mind says ddifferent

Update Reply
drobess @ 16/04/2010 12:09  

That's so cool !! 93 years old and still riding !! Amazing

Update Reply
adrenaline_Junkie @ 16/04/2010 12:09  

I am a grown up but that does not mean I cannot have some fun!

I did my staying at home when my kids were little, now they are 22 and 20 this year, it's my time to live my life and enjoy doing all the things I put on hold whilst I dealt with the responsabilities of being a full time single mom

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 16/04/2010 12:15  

I`ve done my stint at the kitchen sink too and 25yrs is a long time to go with out the grin factor so im not intending to give up or grow up anytime soon!

Update Reply
julie j @ 16/04/2010 13:43  

I'll never grow up ! * although I do know how to act like a growed up..when i have to*

Update Reply
Karey @ 16/04/2010 13:58  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email