MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

theory test

theory test - Forums [Biker Match] theory test - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

theory test

A mate is redoing her CBT as it has run out and she did not have the dosh to do her test due to a break up, kids etc. Spent the weekend with her and she happened to ask me how long a theory test pass last for, as she did this too just after the CBT which ran out in December. I checked on the DVLA site but could not find anything and as all my licences are pre theory I have no idea. Any help appreciated. And cross your fingers for Ali in Norwich today as she re-does her CBT.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/03/2010 11:35  

Hi Giggly - Theory & hazard awareness last for 2 years (mine's run out aswell!!)

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 29/03/2010 11:39  

Aye... only valid for two years

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 29/03/2010 11:54  

just checked my certificate from last year when i took it ,def 2 years

Update Reply
ASENR @ 29/03/2010 12:06  

Hmmm... i need to do mine yet. My CBT runs out in Oct, never got round to doing my theory. Ideally want to do my test before Oct, but need to save up for it...and its rally season!!! decisions, decisions :o(

Update Reply
Karey @ 29/03/2010 12:32  

Karey the decision is really quite simple..... go take test .... so what if u miss out on one or two rallies this year ? once u have the test done u have a licence..... nevere have to thunk about such things again so just go do theres shows aplenty again next year Lass :>). and as other folks have said its 2 years once run out its all to be done again so i would say to anyone if ur gonna do it then DO IT ..... dinnine mess about .... :>)

Update Reply
SliperyJester @ 29/03/2010 12:39  

Lol @ SJ.. yeh i know what you're saying..but its .. what?.. £30 theory.. then £500-£600 for test.. need to do a lot of saving up... then if i don't pass.. i will be totally gutted that ive missed out on rallies and meeting up with my mates ... see my dilema? lol Seriously need to save some dosh.. but been looking forward to this years rallies since last year, just dont want to miss out, but on the other hand.. i want to do my test so much! I know i need to do my theory asap tho, incase I can get my test booked.... just need a bit lottery win..that'll do it ;o)

Update Reply
Karey @ 29/03/2010 12:51  

For me Kaz, there'd be no decision. Put off my test in order to have another couple of weekends camping? Not a chance.

Just think, with your test passed you could almost do a straight swap with yours for an older 500 or similar. Insurance wouldn't be much different for you and it wouldn't cost any more to run hardly.

Then next year you could go to rallies further away with less hassle if that's your thing.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/03/2010 12:54  

You shouldn't need to spend anything like £600 for your test Karey. The test cost is about £90 for the mods and after that a few pennies in the direction of a friendly instructor should be enough to get you through.

I'd say about £200. Small price to pay I'd say for the ability to ride a bigger bike. I couldn't do with my GP100 after about six months lol! I needed a bigger bike lol!

It's the freedom thing for me and I'd be so limited on a 125. I went for a day trip to Scotland on Saturday! Couldn't have done that on a 125 really.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/03/2010 13:01  

yeh Geoff I know what you're saying.. trust me its on my mind constantly, been looking at bikes all weekend, seeing which one will suit me best, but to be honest it doesn't really cost that much to go to a rally and because i dont go out any other times or smoke, then I see it as my 'treat' but yes i know I will be so much happier with my test done, I just cant see the way forward at the minute. *GigglyBB, sorry for hijacking this thread* back to the theory, I am swotting up daily, and am going to get it booked asap.

Update Reply
Karey @ 29/03/2010 13:03  

think long term Kaz, do the test. Only once its done will you ever be able to fully appreciate a bike!....gotta be worth knocking a few rallies on the head for that

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 29/03/2010 13:03  

I agree Kaz if your going to do your test before Oct then do your theory ... But you don't have to choose now, see how you go and if in position to do mod 1 & 2 then do theory just before.

Mod 1 should only be about £15 if your not having lessons, mod 2 is about £75 so add £30 for theory and it's not much more than doing a cbt again which you will need to do come October !!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 29/03/2010 13:14  

Well I was talking to a training school instructor on Saturday and he said it would be £599 for a 3 day DAS. Bear in mind I've never ridden owt bigger than a 125, so for me to do my test on a 500/600 without much training would be really difficult. I know I could do the restricted but I really want to do the full test, so unless there's an instructor whos willing to let me loose on their 500 I dont really see how i can do it ...lol Yeh i know what you're all saying I really really will appreciate it when ive got my test and sacrificing a few rallies is not a bad price to pay, but .............. lol ive just sat here and typed up at least 2 excuses,but none of them stood up to the argument! lol ..ok.. ok.. gonna book my theory, in the next couple of weeks!!... as for the DAS, we'll see :o)

Update Reply
Karey @ 29/03/2010 13:23  

Good on ya girl !!!

I know restricted is not what you want but better to have summat than nawt x

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 29/03/2010 14:18  

Yeh true Shell,... but then I'd have to find a bike thats been restricted, or pay the cost of having it done..etc.. its 6 of one and half a dozen of t'other :o( x

Update Reply
Karey @ 29/03/2010 15:20  

Just heard my mate Ali passed (again!) fine so will pass on news re 2 year limit. Ta to all. Just off to Chase Farm A and E to pick up another mate - busted foot after a disagreement with a 4x4 in Waltham Abbey tonight. Such fun

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/03/2010 19:53  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email