MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Tank Bag causing fuel starvation!!????

Tank Bag causing fuel starvation!!???? - Forums [Biker Match] Tank Bag causing fuel starvation!!???? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Tank Bag causing fuel starvation!!????

Anyone on here heard of any incidents like this? I was riding out to Weymouth at weekend & was cruising at approx 90mph (ish ahem..) & suddenly lost power! I got the bike back, stripped & rebuilt the carbs..all ok. Checked & replaced fuel filter, checked plugs etc..all ok. Then, few days later, was on a bike run again & same thing happened....Mystified!!. Anyway, I took it into a garage & explained what was happening & the guy said "out of interest, try it without your tank bag on" & you know what? The fookin thing was fine!!! Apparently the tank bag was blocking the air intake on top of the tank, creating a vacuum in the tank itself!! Now I'm wondering, has anyone else had or even heard of this problem before? I need enlightening!!!! Hello again by the way!! hehe!!! Witchiest / Thomsondiane / Matt .... Still think you guys are cool!!

Update Reply
Mark_07 @ 06/03/2007 20:00  

Mark I often use a magnetic tank bag (Oxford type) on my Honda CBR but haven't experienced that problem.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/03/2007 20:03  

Yea, mine is one of the Oxford magnetic ones... It's really wierd!! Never had this prob before...really confusing! ............ ... Unless, there's another problem lurking somewhere......

Update Reply
Mark_07 @ 06/03/2007 20:20  

had two tank covers on dif bikes at times and never had that problem or even heard of that before

Update Reply
firebladekid @ 07/03/2007 14:20  

Hi ya hun, soz but can't help out on this one!!

Update Reply
Di @ 07/03/2007 14:55  

have you tried emptying the tank bag ????? cos with all that vacuuming its doing it might be full !!!!! and a full vacuum bag is not a handy bag to have

Update Reply
storm @ 07/03/2007 16:21  

oh dear storm

Update Reply
Di @ 07/03/2007 16:33  

im not sure about air intake for the tank not heard of that but if its blocking air intake for your engine, the engine will get hot and the fuel will evaporate in the fuel pipe before it gets to the carb,so if you can move the pipe away from the engine a bit that might help ....

Update Reply
millsy @ 07/03/2007 16:33  

hi mark,cant help wiv this prob mate. sorry! xx

Update Reply
witchiest @ 07/03/2007 17:07  

Reminds me of problems with cars that have had a re-spray. The breather pipe gets blocked so the car doesn't run for long periods because the fuel pump can't overcome the vacuum in the fuel tank, open the fuel cap and whoosh you can hear the air being sucked into the tank. Sorry this had absolutely nothing to do with bikes...*Paul slinks off to the corner and replaces dunce cap on head*

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/03/2007 17:49  

Update Reply
Di @ 07/03/2007 18:33  

WELL IF THE CAP FITS AN THE CORNERS COMFY !!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GO FOR IT PAUL

Update Reply
storm @ 08/03/2007 15:16  

Cheeky lass *Takes Storm over the knee*

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/03/2007 20:49  

most mdern bikes breath through their filler caps, so if you block this it could easily cause fue starvation. depends how the bag fits and seals around the fuel cap

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/03/2007 04:38  

Yea, well when I tested it without the bag on, it seemed to run perfectly!, thing is, I'm dubious about it now & a bit hesitant about going far on it in case it is something else! ... hopefully not!!

Update Reply
Mark_07 @ 09/03/2007 06:48  

you'll have to catch me first paul !!!!! hahahahahahahahah

Update Reply
storm @ 09/03/2007 12:07  

Ok, after the tank bag incident, & also the FZR causing a few probs & also needing new downpipes..................... I just bought ZX-9R .... & you know what....It's beautiful!!! .... ... Oh yea... & it'll have your GSXR for breakfast (to the guy who used to race me down the A303).

Update Reply
Mark_07 @ 16/03/2007 15:56  

Storm Catch you first? True, I would be doubled over laughing at the sight of Storm's Chopper weaving precariously from side to side? Ooooer that didn't sound right lol! If I close my eyes I can picture Storm on her chopper just likein the movie ET when they pass in front of the moon, basket et al.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2007 18:07  

storm go home !!!!!!!!!! or help me off this bloody thing cos i cant touch the floor paul my balance is not the best and yep i do weave around on my bike especially if i have to signal at all for turns, much better goin on tissington trail only trees an bushes to hit there !!!!!!!!! and ive hit a few of them

Update Reply
storm @ 18/03/2007 11:27  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email