MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Tribute or Cover

Tribute or Cover - Forums [Biker Match] Tribute or Cover - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Tribute or Cover

I've been meaning to kick this one off for some time. While not directly biking related, this has been brought to a head by the Butlins weekend in October.

I enjoy going to see (and listen to) bands play, particularly the lesser known ones who play in pubs. However, while I am quite happy to hear covers played, I like to hear a band's own interpretation of them. If they compose their own numbers, even better - providing they're half decent. What I get a bit fed up with are bands who not only exclusively perform the compositions of a chosen well known band but slavishly copy their delivery, appearance and even their name. With respect, while I have no doubt that they're talented, and I am aware that at least one member of BM plays for one, I would sooner see a variety of material performed in their own way.

At Butlins there were tribute bands for AC-DC (who I like), Queen (who I don't particularly like) and U2 (who I can take or leave) but I enjoyed the local cover band which played on Friday night and Lorraine Crosby far more. While not into blues in a big way, the Upton Blues Festival offered some top acts including Route 666, Slow Burner and The Sharks which I found preferable to the MCN Butlins line-up.

So, what do you prefer to go to, tribute acts, performers playing covers / original material or a mixture of both? And would those of you going to Skegness prefer fewer tribute bands in the mix?

[This may raise passions and run and run or die with barely a response.]

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 30/01/2010 10:08  

speaking as some one very passionate about music, i was part of crew for a york band a long time ago, they did covers and their own stuff and had a massive following, of all the tribute bands ive seen very few where any good, in fact the biggest part of them sucked , you cant be as good as the original as you put your own interpretation into the performance, ive allways beleived that if a band are any good they will stand on their own merits not somebody elses,. yes tribute bands are allways going to make money as the cost of going to see the real band can be ridiculous, but there you go you get what you pay for!! x

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 30/01/2010 10:41  

I love live music and live bands. I go to see many local bands and mainly cover bands. I also was at Butlins and enjoyed all the bands including Hells Bells the AC/DC Tribute band but must say I dont listen to much AC/DC music. I found them to be a good quality band and they went down well there. I agree with the fact though that the cover bands for me were more enjoyable.

I have also - mainly when on holiday in Benedorm, which isnt that often - gone to see tribute bands and solo tribute artists I have seen a brilliat Meatloaf act. In fact returned to see him in the next bar along . Also in Lanzarote seen a fabulous Tina Turna act she won the european Stars In Your Eyes, we had a brilliant night I also returned to see her several times on following visits to the island.

I tend only to see tributes when I am on holiday and they are free to see. I did pay on two occasions when not on holiday that was to see Bon Jovi and Guns and Roses tributes these were on at a Chicago Rock which I would have gone to whether they were playing or not and the fact is they are two of my fave bands. They were well worth seeing.

On holiday I have also seen very poor acts such as a different Meatloaf and Elton John Cor he was embarrassing.

The same applies to cover bands though I have seen very poor ones that only their mothers would be proud of!

My preference is towards cover bands and as long as music is kept live I am happy.

Roll on Butlins !!

Update Reply
moonstone @ 30/01/2010 13:52  

I like Karaoke too but only when I got the mike

Update Reply
moonstone @ 30/01/2010 13:54  

I see a fair amount of both and if they are good thats a bonus but if they are bad they are funny.At least music is being kept live. Best tributes seen are Stipe (REM) and Trextasy...could have been Bolan he was that good! Cover bands tend to surprise you with different interpretations and some songs I've not heard for years so you never know whats coming next. Some original material is fine as long as they don't over do it and it's good and also do some classics we all know and love. All that matters is that music is kept live and LOUD

Update Reply
mouse59 @ 30/01/2010 14:31  

Its got to be somone putting their own interpretation on it if its a cover. A true musician wil surely have to sing/play from their own soul and not someone elses? Music begins inside and works its way out. .a creative process by creative people. XX

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 30/01/2010 22:16  

[This may raise passions and run and run or die with barely a response.]

It looks like the latter. I would have thought rather more strong views would have surfaced but it looks like no one is overly concerned. However, it raises the question that if most people on this site prefer cover/original bands why are we apparently quite happy to be fed a diet of tribute bands at Butlins? Or is everyone happy with them?

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 01/02/2010 18:08  

As long as it's somthing i recognize and sounds good then i don't care who it is

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 01/02/2010 18:11  

at mcn thet usually have some cover bands but also the real deal too like in april bad manners were there....top night !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/02/2010 18:39  

Can't be doing with tribute bands.

Music's all about interpretation. If you're just copying exactly what someone else did with it, where's the creativity? I'd rather see the original. If I can't, then I'd rather see a band put their own take on the original, not to ape it.

Haven't been to Butlins since I was 15

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 02/02/2010 13:35  

I agree wannabe, but if you had all top bands at something like the mcn etc......it would cost a fortune...like at the ure rallie we had cover bands.....they were awesome, plus if you have a band performing just there own material that no one knows i think the venue wherever it is would soon be empty.....in my opinion that is

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2010 17:34  

Nothing wrong with cover bands Ian - that was my point - a cover band puts their own style onto a variety of different artists' numbers, whereas a tribute band just copies the original note for note.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 02/02/2010 21:34  

hey lou you mean we agree on something for once ??? surly not lol !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2010 21:54  

It's been known to happen

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 02/02/2010 21:56  

ring norris mcguirter quick !!! its a guiness world record !!! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2010 22:21  

"but if you had all top bands at something like the mcn etc......it would cost a fortune."

I don't think anyone was suggesting that we should have top bands at MCN Butlins - just some half decent regional bands. I was impressed by Route 666 who played at the Upton Blues Festival. They travelled down from Liverpool to Upton-upon-Severn and went back for a gig that evening. They weren't pure blues leaning towards rock and kept a large crowd entertained with largely original material. They could keep the MCN crowd similarly entertained and, I suspect, would be quite affordable. That's the sort of band I would like to see at Butlins - one up from those doing the pub circuit although I can think of some of those who could cut it at MCN Live.

There's a lot of anticipation about MCN at Skegness in April. What sort of bands would the rest of you who are going like to see?

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 02/02/2010 22:30  

i was not saying that at all cata........i have been going to the mcn for 7 years and only missed last octobers......but they usually only have one or two non cover bands, but in april complete madness were there for the second time running...well if you could of seen the dance floor !!!!! plus they have the kerrang stage where un signed bands compete for a contract, so you get un signed raw bands too !! ps thats in the sky dome !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2010 22:35  

Maybe Octobers was different because I only saw one group in the Sky dome all weekend. I hope Aprils will be better on the covers band front. We even went to the Jammin session but no one seemed to turn up to that either. I need rock bands not keen on Two Tone, Motown, Abba I detest..I do like chilling out music like Spiritualized, David Gray Coldplay, The Script and more. For MCN I am hoping for rock bands I enjoy most rally bands which I should think would be cheaper than the tribute bands. Its a good job we are all different cos what a boring place if we were all the same aye?

Update Reply
moonstone @ 03/02/2010 15:30  

I like to support the 'up and coming' bands who write their own materiel. The best band I've ever seen was at a halloween do last year, they was called 'Remedy', and they are fronted by (sticking my neck out now but I believe it) a young lass with a hell of a voice. Ended up being a private do for about 12 people in the whole place and they seriously gave it 200% even though the place was empty. Was a hell of a night, and she was one of the nicest peeps I think I've ever met too. They did their own material as well as a selection of covers but their own stood out too, because of the quality, her voice and the musicians - still love the cd I bought at the gig. I also support my local bands too. Heatray, Clown Corpse, Innersylum and Heathen Foray, all do their own material, all are different styles and all are committed to what they do and putting a great show on. Heathens have played abroad already and have a big following. I'd love to go to see the 'real thing' more often but too often I think bands rip us off with their ticket prices and merchandise, I know they have to cover costs etc but its crazy. I priced up MCN the other day for a twin room for myself, and it's £289/£329/£369 for 3 days, I know its a belter of a weekend but what happened to cheaper prices of a couple of years ago ? I'd love to go but including a train ticket down there, booze money, no way on this earth can I afford it alone this year. I hope they are going to deliver majority original bands for what they are charging you all......

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 03/02/2010 16:10  

Well how about starting a thread for accom sharing etc it will cut the costs considerably, also I'm sure there are bikers from here who are going down with a back seat going spare......not sure how big the accom is but like others I would go if there was enough to share the cost of the accom...... .........................................I might add I am house trained and shower twice daily or more if I run, don't smoke and make a damn fine bacon butty, with coffee after the night before lol...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2010 19:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email