MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

what size sproket

what size sproket (2) - Forums [Biker Match] what size sproket (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

what size sproket

I had a brain fade. That's wot happens when you got lots of time on your hands. truth is you can move it more by adjustin the chain.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 26/01/2010 20:08  

the front of the bike has allready been lowerd through the yokes ( or triple clamps if you watch too much biker build off ) so i imagin the rake and trail would be the same. yes rob the wheel looks to be from a later model maybe because its a wider tyre than early models it is possible that the sproket is allso from the later model too i will look at the TriumphTorque site didnt know it was there thanks for that info it steers and track fine and acceleration seems ok top end is not what i thought it would be which would piont to a bigger size being left on would it not ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 26/01/2010 20:22  

i would also check the gearing between the older an newer bikes to see if they changed that instead of sprocket size.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 26/01/2010 20:27  

Hi Neal your probaby better on 17" wheels as you can get a better range of tyres in 17". the size of the tyre will also make a difference as the bigger the number the bigger the out side dia. of the tyre as in a 180/55 a 190 is bigger or a 60 would be bigger

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 27/01/2010 06:49  

If you want to alter the gearing it right that the bigger the rear sprocket the lower the gearing which gives more acceleration and less top speed but it's worth knowing that 2 teeth on the back is similar to 1 on the front. A smaller rear tyre allso lowers the gearing and vice versa

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 27/01/2010 07:06  

cheers 180 / 75 is the tyre size havent looked at the size of sprocket yet do i count the teeth or measure the diameter of the sprocket as ive been given sprocket sizes but dont understand them on paper anyway ! ( or screen thanks BB )

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 27/01/2010 11:05  

Count the teeth. (and quote the model if ordering replacements) If it's any help, I've got loads of Hinckley brochures at home. Wheel/tyre sizes for various models will be in there, tho I doubt sprocket sizes.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 27/01/2010 12:01  

To change sprocket ratio's is simple

Rear 35 gearbox 14 35 divided by 14 = 2.5
36 14 36 " " " 14 = 2.57
The bigger the number the slower the final drive/speed is.

Rear 35 Gearbox 15 35 divided by 15 = 2.33
This ratio is faster because of the low number, have fun.

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 27/01/2010 19:03  

hay now that is usefull sd cheers buddy

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 27/01/2010 20:49  

The cog should have the number of teeth stamped on it save you counting

Update Reply
micksaway @ 27/01/2010 21:54  

Going for a smaller wheel by 1" in diametre only means the raduis is 12.5mm smaller which will do nothing for speed or performance, it only really changes the tyre to possably a more popular type. If you want greater acceleration its about the maths of ratio's and there is always compramises, generally bike manufactores have done the maths for you and for the loading of the gear spindle in the gearbox and the load on the chain. So they go for compramises in all aspects of the power train depending on what they want the bike to do. So experimant or do the maths which ever is easier. Have fun.

Update Reply
thediver37 @ 28/01/2010 23:17  

thanks for the info guys gives me a good heads up on what to check out

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 29/01/2010 08:45  

Ah but... 1" on diameter makes 3" on the circumference, which on a 18" wheel is over 5% less. Assuming both tyres are a similar profile, I think that would make a notable difference.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 29/01/2010 09:37  

turns out to be the rear wheel from a daytona 900 super 111 same size diameter just slightly wider rim to fit better tires on to them . top speed is ment to be about 148 mph so its not for off for a 17 year old bike ive had 130mph (on private roads of cousre) so it must just be me thinking it should be quicker supose that happens when you drive white van man all day ! lol but after a punchy cruiser i thought the eceleration would have been stronger aparently not they quite progresive power train so it turns out to be my riding habits not the bike who knew ? thanks for the input peeps im still very happy with the bike roll on summer

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 26/02/2010 14:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email