MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

what size sproket

what size sproket - Forums [Biker Match] what size sproket - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

what size sproket

my triumph daytona has a 17 inch rear wheel it should be an 18 inch when built should i have one tooth smaller sproket on the rear to compensate for the smaller wheel any body know ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 25/01/2010 19:02  

no but I know a man who will...............Ill direct him towards this topic WN and no doubt he'll contact you

Update Reply
babyharley @ 25/01/2010 19:06  

thank you kind lady i just didnt want to loose any more sleep over this taxing problem any longer you know

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 25/01/2010 19:08  

Well done BH, I've had a look on the net for WN but no luck - hope you get it sorted nealy

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 25/01/2010 19:14  

thanks nutty one i will im sure some cleaver peeps on here you know and some erm lovely peeps too

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 25/01/2010 19:39  

the reason im asking about this topic is because my bike dont seem as quick as i thought it would be maybe im just use to going to quick i dont know but thought id ask ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 25/01/2010 19:51  

A really big one is the answer.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 25/01/2010 21:12  

surely wn the bike is fast enough ?..just asking

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/01/2010 21:15  

hay geoff wouldnt it pull monster wheelies if i put a bigger one on it ? and its more a case of driverbilty ian

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 25/01/2010 21:33  

the bigger the rear sprocket the faster it wll pull off.......but you will lose top end, smaller rear sprocket will give you more top end but less accelaration.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/01/2010 21:36  

wn really depends on what you want out of the bike? top speed or grunt?maybe the gearbox sprocket needs a tooth down or maybe up,up to u really,but the triumph is pretty dam quick anyway isnt it?good luck with your findings,edd

Update Reply
whiteairedfox @ 25/01/2010 22:30  

can any one lend me some sprokets so i can experiment ? chers guys

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 25/01/2010 22:35  

sorry buddy mine is a shafty

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/01/2010 22:39  

So the bigger the wheels the faster the bike?

Update Reply
moonstone @ 26/01/2010 00:50  

Depends on gearing Moon Look at a push bike the smaller the back cog or bigger the front cog the faster top end but slower acceleration. bigger wheels will be faster in a straight line but harder to steer

Update Reply
micksaway @ 26/01/2010 01:11  

If the wheel is smaller than standard, isn't the gearing effectively lowered ? Therefore you'll need a smaller rear sprocket to raise it back to standard again. Not sure by how many teeth tho. p.s. You a member on TriumphTorque, someone there's bound to know ?

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 26/01/2010 09:16  

p.p.s. Won't a smaller rear wheel, lower the back end slightly and thus have an effect on the steering geometry ?

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 26/01/2010 11:18  

It will make the trail slightly longer but fractionly shorten distance between tyre contact points. which would probably cancel each other out. was the sprocket the original for the bike or a smaller one to change the gearing for the smaller wheel. I see no advantage in putting a smaller back wheel in unless your a short arse. surely you'd put one in the front as well.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 26/01/2010 13:30  

I don't think it'll alter the contact points. The spindle position hasn't altered. Guessing the wheel is from a later model, Super III maybe

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 26/01/2010 14:17  

Changing to a smaller rear wheel will reduce top speed so smaller rear sprocket will return its original speed, its about 1.05 less that you need so just drop one tooth and its going to be fine.

If the rear spindle has not moved then the wheel base will be constant but it will interfere with the rake and trail of the bike and the overall contact of the tyres, meaning lowering the rear will make the bike steer a little slower and feel a little vague the faster you ride, to compensate lowering the front will help. Caution this might have already been done.

It's a bit like having a heavy pillion and luggage it screws up the handling a little.

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 26/01/2010 16:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email