MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Outrage Over 'Drowning Pets' Climate Advert

Outrage Over 'Drowning Pets' Climate Advert - Forums [Biker Match] Outrage Over 'Drowning Pets' Climate Advert - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Outrage Over 'Drowning Pets' Climate Advert

© Sky News 2009 4 hours 50 mins ago A Government advert which implies pets will die from climate change has received more than 200 complaints from viewers. The television advert shows a father reading a bedtime story to his daughter. In the book, puppies drown and rabbits are left without water to drink because of rising CO2 levels. The male character reads: "There once was a land where the weather was very, very strange... "Scientists said it was being caused by too much CO2, and it was the children of the land who'd have to live with the horrible consequences." The young daughter asks if there is a "happy ending" before a voiceover tells the viewer it is up to them to change how the story ends. The Advertising Standards Authority has received 202 complaints about the ad and is processing a further 100, a spokeswoman told Sky News Online. Most of the complaints focus on the scientific evidence quoted in the campaign while the rest say it is simply too scary, she added. A similar number of people have signed a petition asking Downing Street to remove the advert, calling it "pure propaganda designed to frighten our children". The Government has been outspoken about the risks of failing to act on climate change. Gordon Brown has warned of "catastrophic" heatwaves, floods and droughts if world leaders cannot come up with a deal when they meet at a UN-sponsored summit in Copenhagen in December. A spokeswoman for the Department of Energy and Climate Change said it stood by the message in the television advert. "It's consistent with Government policy on the issue, which is informed by the latest science and assessments of peer-reviewed, scientific literature made by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and other international bodies," she said. "The ad is directed at adults, but we know that the proposition to 'protect the next generation' is a motivating one. "Climate change is not just a problem for generations of people far in the future; it's happening now; it affects us and our children, and we owe it to them to take action now to prevent its worst effects."

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/10/2009 15:09  

Just watched this advert online - disgusting and nothing short of terrorism!! How much longer are the Government going to make us feel guilty (and tax us!) on suppositions and forecasts which are changing every day! Maybe, just maybe nothing we are doing is making a difference either way? Technological advancements mean that measurements taken over the decades are going to be more accurate and may give false 'trends' and are open to misinterpretation. This happened a while ago when there was an outcry that men's sperm counts were decreasing when actually it was just a matter of the method of counting them becoming more accurate! Is this crap going to be thrown in my face every day for the rest of my life? (erm, the forecasts of doom, not men's sperm!) But to target children like this.... I am so fed up with all this propaganda!!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/10/2009 15:16  

So am I TeeCee The advert that outrages me is the one where the kid looks to camera and pleads with his mum to quit smoking. Some smokers feel guilty enough, I know I did, without having more guilt piled on, it's not easy for most folk to quit and even a plea from their kids won't make a difference to that. Advertisers / anti smoking bods used to say 'passive smoking kills' and as that hasn't been scientifically proven they've had to alter their scare tactics and turn it around to the smoker with words such as 'we love you and don't want to see you die' and other such emotional blackmail. Rant over

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/10/2009 15:53  

The fact is they will hit us where we are most vulnerable and baffle our brains with bullsh1t for as long as it takes..its called nurturing

Update Reply
excalibur @ 20/10/2009 20:04  

I fear you are right, exc!! (or another more worrying term could be grooming...)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/10/2009 20:18  

i still believe it is coz of the solar cycle we get nearer the sun every 11 yrs or so plus the sun is ever exspanding too so there probably nowt we can do bout it ! but they will tax us more for it any way the heathans

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 20/10/2009 20:31  

Ah but will we suddenly get hot weather tax then twinnie ????

Politicians policy is same as BJs

"if you cant dazzle them with pure brilliance, baffle them with bulls***'

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/10/2009 21:08  

If they cant tax us for the hot weather Im sure they will find a way to fiddle it into there expencies. We used to have the Horrid Soviet Army to be scared of then they went So now we have al queda just another big scary monster in the cupboard Keep the Pesants scared so they will keep paying you to defend them. Been going on for hundreds of years Aint going to change now

Update Reply
micksaway @ 21/10/2009 01:30  

If the forecasters can't accurately predict what the weather is going to be like next week how can they expect us to believe what they say it's going to be like in 10/20/30... years time.

The Co2 argument is spurious as well.

Read 'Global Warming and Other Bollocks' and you will be enlightened.

Average global temperature has actually gone down over the last ten years rather than up which could explain why they now talk about 'Climate Change' and not 'Global Warming'

It's a good catchall phrase is 'Climate Change', it covers everything, not just temperature.

as John Lydon said at the end of The Great Rock and Roll Swindle.

Ever get the feeling you've been conned.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 21/10/2009 09:04  

Your'e right there Mick..where i've just come from it started with the khaki gevaar "Brits" then rooi gevaar "Russians" finally the swart gevaar "Blacks" and the only real gevaar was the f#cking government clinging to power, so many lives lost, marriages destroyed etc over a 40 year period.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 21/10/2009 09:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email