MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

The goverments response to the 100bhp limit

The goverments response to the 100bhp limit - Forums [Biker Match] The goverments response to the 100bhp limit - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

The goverments response to the 100bhp limit

The Government supports in principle any action that would reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries on UK roads. However, each initiative needs to be considered on its merits and the relative costs and benefits measured. The Department for Transport is not aware of any evidence to support the introduction of a maximum engine power limit for motorcycle as an effective measure to reduce accidents and so does not believe that limits on the maximum power of motorcycles are necessary in the UK. In its response to the European Commission’s initial consultation on proposals to revise the legislation on motorcycle construction the UK Department for Transport made it clear that, while individual member states should be permitted to set limits on a national basis, there should be no blanket maximum power limit imposed across all member states......................This has just come from e mail.....after the petition !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/10/2009 13:14  

Doh Beat me too it lol My reply from the 100bhp limit petition.............. Monday 19 October 2009 100bhplimits - epetition response We received a petition asking:
“We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to not allow the draconian proposals to apply power restictions on motorcycles go through. France is the perfect case study, it does not work, training and attitude is what matters.” Details of Petition: “Every serious motorcyclist knows that its proper good quality training and attitude that saves lives on bikes, unaware car drivers are also a problem, power limits have proven not to be of any use as in france were there is a 100bhp limit, they still have fatalities, when will the goverment and brussels realise that we’re all human beings and accidents happen, nobody forces us to ride bikes, we do it of our own free will and accept the risks involved, for alot of people the the open road is still a pleasure.”
Read the Government’s response The Government supports in principle any action that would reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries on UK roads. However, each initiative needs to be considered on its merits and the relative costs and benefits measured. The Department for Transport is not aware of any evidence to support the introduction of a maximum engine power limit for motorcycle as an effective measure to reduce accidents and so does not believe that limits on the maximum power of motorcycles are necessary in the UK. In its response to the European Commission’s initial consultation on proposals to revise the legislation on motorcycle construction the UK Department for Transport made it clear that, while individual member states should be permitted to set limits on a national basis, there should be no blanket maximum power limit imposed across all member states. Think that's a defeat for the Eurocrats "AGAIN" we've defeated the Eurocrats

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 19/10/2009 13:17  

Erm....it won't happen. I know for a fact that a lot of manufacturers had closed door meetings with the commission and basically told them what they were going to do! The commission is nothing but a self publicizing, self important Arse.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 19/10/2009 13:53  

I still believe that one way or another the government and /or police will find a way to restrict motorcycles by fair means or foul. even if it means putting white lines and rear facing cameras on every decent road in Britain.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 19/10/2009 14:09  

If they do we'll be back to small numberplates or crossers lol

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 19/10/2009 14:13  

Think this decision was reached in a white paper before the petition came about. If they make a law against what I believe in then I'll just become an outlaw - simples!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 19/10/2009 14:23  

TC are you going to become a Rebel without a Clue ??

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/10/2009 16:28  

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 19/10/2009 16:32  

this will never happen guys..... the motorcycle industry is huge and the loss in sales would be catastrophic, and they'll never turn there greedy backs on all that revenue.

Update Reply
rocket rider @ 19/10/2009 16:56  

I agree money talks !

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/10/2009 18:32  

That is basically what the manufacturers said to the commission

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 19/10/2009 18:41  

Is there any resale value on roadside cameras.

Update Reply
micksaway @ 19/10/2009 20:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email