MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Road positioning - whats your preference ???

Road positioning  - whats your preference ??? - Forums [Biker Match] Road positioning  - whats your preference ??? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Road positioning - whats your preference ???

right heres one for ya, on the way to open a safe today near Daventry, i went round a round about and three police bikes were behind me, maybe training i dont know, but on a long straight in the road they tucked in about 2 ft from the kirb whilst riding, now i prefer to be 3/4 across the road in the vision of the offside mirror of the car in front..........so whats your preference and why ?????????

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/10/2009 18:00  

Ian I prefer to 'wander' between the centre and the offside to make sure they've seen me in at least one of their mirrors and it also tends to spook them into moving left a bit once they notice i'm there

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 06/10/2009 18:08  

on it preff

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 06/10/2009 18:09  

i tend to follow there off side waiting to pass to honist

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 06/10/2009 18:10  

im the same as you Ian

Update Reply
drobess @ 06/10/2009 18:11  

but thats in the white van man

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 06/10/2009 18:13  

I must admit it was quite weird seeing the police riders so close to the kirb, cause i will be honest they were that close that if i was behind them in my van i would of probably overtook them !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/10/2009 18:14  

Same as you Ian... when I did my test, they called it a "dominant road position"... and I stick to it.

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 06/10/2009 18:14  

defencesive riding when i were a lad

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 06/10/2009 18:18  

it frighten the hell outa me when i see mopeds and scoots in the kirb what are they teaching them now days ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 06/10/2009 18:20  

About 2 foot off the line, right behind tin boxes mirrors so they see me, and maybe get over a bit too. Also more warning of anything furry bolting out of the nearside on early morning rides!!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 06/10/2009 18:38  

I prefer to be on rumble strips ................. keeps me smiling if nowt else lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 06/10/2009 18:54  

Paj said: Also more warning of anything furry bolting out of the nearside on early morning rides!! Thanks for thinking about my woodland creatures army Paj !!

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 06/10/2009 19:36  

Depends on the road. I ride wherever gives me the maximum view, but then i do ride with a policeman

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 06/10/2009 19:40  

DC may have hit the nail on the head here. The coppers may well have been over towards the left because that's where they had the best view. I move about all over the lane (and sometimes the other lane) in order to get the best view I can.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 06/10/2009 19:56  

My favoured position is right of centrer (Ian's 3/4 across the lane) so I dominate my lane. gives me on average the best view of the road due to the height of my bike and my me. i find if i sit right of centre then i am generally visible in both rear view and offside mirror. I do move over to left of center too just so that the car drivers don't get accustomed to seeing past me and this not seeing me. Like DC i do a lot of riding with the police so i have picked up a few of their traits.

Update Reply
Phil @ 06/10/2009 20:23  

depending on my speed , if close to a car..right of center if further behind..center , this also depends on cars behind me if they can/want to overtake left of center.It varies all the time

Update Reply
excalibur @ 06/10/2009 21:05  

I tend to use the road as it presents it's self, 3/4 to 4/5's accross on straight roads but move around to get a better through view on left and right hand corners, cops tend to be more defencive riders than any other rider, so use the same "sort of" riding I do but their's is a taught system (called "The System") funnily enough lol.

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 06/10/2009 23:36  

Geoffs right you have to move about a bit to see whats in front but try to keep in line or to outside of vehicles of side wheels, if you can see the driver in his door mirror he can see you, dont position yourself in between cars wheels, if anythings on the road drivers avoid it with there wheels and it may come out under the car to late for you to avoid

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 07/10/2009 00:29  

i dont look at the rd to busy looking at the speedo!

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 07/10/2009 00:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email