MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Goverment scrappage scheme!!!!!!!!

Goverment scrappage scheme!!!!!!!! - Forums [Biker Match] Goverment scrappage scheme!!!!!!!! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Goverment scrappage scheme!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if this includes new bike sales??? If not, why the bloody hell not? I have a 21 year old golf gti and if i could trade it in on a new medium size scooter for going to work it would be great! This would be more economical than another car and reduce my carbon footprint! Isnt that what the Goverment wants us to do????

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 04/09/2009 11:54  

2wf - have you not realised yet that the Government doesn't really like us biker types?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 04/09/2009 12:16  

I make the Govt right... you're a bunch of ne'er do wells and no mistake!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 04/09/2009 12:17  

*posts petition for 200% tax on sparklies*

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 04/09/2009 12:18  

Bugga...

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 04/09/2009 12:19  

Think i should take me golf to No 10 then leave it their, yep your wright TC funny how they can be positively prejudice to all other road user's, 22million car owners can do what they like, they moan about fuel prices! But do they do any protesting NO, there too chicken S**t to do that! Might go to a Honda dealer here in swindon and get then to do the donkey work on New bike for Old car?????

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 04/09/2009 13:14  

2wf - Google "The Government's Motorcycling Strategy" from the Department for Transport... makes interesting reading. Unfortunately I don't think there is a chance in Hell of getting a scooter under this deal - the main premise of the scheme is to boost the UK car/van sales figures (although there are secondary objectives too - believe what you will). The motorcycle industry DID ask the government for help but I do not think it has been well received: UK Motorcycle Industry Calls On Government To Boost Market Confidence In Two Wheels Mon, Mar 9, 2009 The UK motorcycle industry is asking government to suspend vehicle excise duty (VED or road tax) and the first registration fee on all new mopeds, scooters and motorcycles for a minimum of one year to support the market and recognise the green advantages of motorcycling. A tax holiday on new powered two-wheelers (PTWs) would cost only £13 million* but protect 15,000 jobs by providing an urgently-needed boost to the UK’s motorcycle industry. Encouraging the sales of new PTWs would also help meet greener transport targets - all new PTWs having to comply with strict EU rules on CO2 and pollution emissions. Support for the UK’s motorcycle industry is now urgently needed. While the market has shown great resilience to date, figures released today by the Motor Cycle Industry Association (MCI) show that registrations dropped by 25 per cent in February 2009 compared with the same month last year. The UK motorcycle industry employs over 15,000 people and turns over more than £3 billion a year. Triumph is the largest, solely UK-owned, automotive manufacturer in the UK. Despite this, government support packages have been aimed at the car and commercial vehicle sectors, overlooking and in some cases excluding the motorcycle industry - a situation that must now change. A VED holiday would also help the government to realise its environmental goals. Recent research into the CO2 outputs of new PTWs of all sizes has revealed that, with an average CO2 output of 110 grams per kilometre, motorcycling has already beaten the EU’s 2012 target for CO2 reductions from the automobile industry***. February is the fourth consecutive month in which new registrations have fallen compared with 12 months ago. While winter is traditionally a slow sales season, and the February market is affected by potential buyers waiting until March to get the latest registration number, the size of the market decline this month is a warning sign. The number of mopeds registered in February 2009 fell to 900, a drop of 33 per cent on February 2008. 3,205 new motorcycles were registered, 931 fewer than this period last year, and a fall of 22.5%. For the first time since the credit crunch began to bite, the fall in the motorcycle market is greater than the fall in the new car market (21.9% in February 2009). Registrations of all styles and engine sizes have fallen, though naked, scooter and supersport styles have fallen less than the average. The MCI’s Sheila Rainger said: “The motorcycle market has held up well in the recession, but cannot struggle on alone. Since November we have seen small but steady monthly declines, with a much steeper drop last month. “A VED and first registration holiday would cost relatively little and really help to encourage customers into dealerships. A tax break on new sales will also encourage people onto brand new ‘Euro 3′ motorcycles which have even lower emissions and more fuel efficient engines than older models “The environmental and congestion-busting benefits of motorcycling are unarguable and are worthy of support, as is an industry which employs so many people, predominantly in small and medium-sized businesses.”

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 04/09/2009 13:35  

*tut*... more nasty, noisy motorcycles on the road? Whatever next!!!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 04/09/2009 14:40  

More big hard hairy bikers!!! LOL

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 04/09/2009 17:52  

TeeCee & 2wf until we have a bike riding PM and other *leaders* in power we will ALWAYS suck the hind t*t , if only we had an California style "Arnie" at no. 10...lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 04/09/2009 18:34  

Wasn't he the one who said 'I'll be back'? lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/09/2009 23:43  

The scrappage scheme was borought in to help the "ailing" motor industry and is apparently working (depending on what figures you read) As for the excise duty,I find it hard to believe that my bike costs me £65 a year yet the lorry I drive only costs my firm £165! Ok so the lorry has been down-plated to 34 tonne mgw from 44 to make this saving but that is still around 33 3/4 tonnes more than my bike!

Update Reply
pondlife @ 05/09/2009 01:04  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email