MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Memories of being a kid and what do you miss?

Memories of being a kid and what do you miss? - Forums [Biker Match] Memories of being a kid and what do you miss? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Memories of being a kid and what do you miss?

Was looking through old photos and laughing at some of the god awful clothes my mother made me wear !!! Made me think of other stuff i rem from being a no care in the world kid. Like space hoopers, weebles and good old chopper bikes. Swapping top trumps or playing british bulldogs or stuck in the mud in the playground. Eating space dust and cabana bars and packs of snaps only cost 2p !!! Mmmmm rhubarb and custard sweets Watching planet of the apes, dukes of hazard and airwolf and thinking they were great Having my first tape cassette recorder which was the size of a small bungalow and took 2 of you to press play and record at same time !!! Well thats all made me feel very old Does anyone rem those weird toy things that were a ball on a string attached to a hoop you put round your ankle? (am not mad honest i had one !!!)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/08/2009 13:59  

Does anyone rem those weird toy things that were a ball on a string attached to a hoop you put round your ankle? (am not mad honest i had one !!!) Pah - we had to make do with a tennis ball in a pair of me mams old stockings!!! What about chinese skipping - loads of 'lacky bands linked up together. 1 kid at one end with em round her/his ankles & another kid at the other end with the other end round her/his ankles & you had to jump in em, on em & over em. Also - what about 2 balls (no comments!!! this was innocent kids stuff!) & playing kiss catch....... ahhh the memories.....

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 19/08/2009 15:46  

HFG lol i rem the tennis ball in the sock

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/08/2009 15:49  

The Yoyo competitions at the alhambra cinema mosely road in Brum and the public baths are what I dont miss i always had to have my moms dirty water yukk have I put this on another thread seems like i am repeating myself!!! lin xx

Update Reply
moonstone @ 19/08/2009 16:04  

Also - what about 2 balls (no comments!!! this was innocent kids stuff!) & playing kiss catch....... And that's just last weekend eh Stells???

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 19/08/2009 16:10  

hahaha - yeah I wish Ian

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 19/08/2009 16:13  

But seriously... (me?) 2 and half p for a packet of KB Beef Crisps... 2p Bus fare anywhere in Manchester Blackjacks and Fruit Salads... mmmmm... Sweet shops! (Yeah' there's one or two 'around' but...) Maybe this is why I'm the size I am!!!

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 19/08/2009 16:21  

Bolt bangers and throwin arrows, promised my kids we're gonna make some this weekend

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 19/08/2009 16:25  

I rem being made to drink milk at school out of those wee bottles with a straw ewwwww dont miss that at all. Free swimming pass if you could swim a whole length and tread water for a minute

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/08/2009 16:30  

Does anyone remember klackers. 2 balls on some string and you had to knock them together to make a klacking sound without hitting your knuckles? Painful if you did hit yourself with them.

Update Reply
Amerthyst @ 19/08/2009 16:35  

I remember klackers getting banned cos of shattering and putting kids' eyes out or breaking bones in their hands, great fun!

Anyone remember London Lights, matches coated with coloured sulphur that burned for ages, yet again banned for being too much fun!!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 19/08/2009 16:39  

yehhh i remember 'klackers' and my two older brothers finding it highly amusing using me to practice with! What about conkers too? soaking them in vinegar to make them super hard! What about the programmes.. Champion the Wonder Horse? Crackerjack Why Dont You... Ann of Green Gables *grrrr gotta leave it there.. boss here.. *

Update Reply
Karey @ 19/08/2009 16:51  

I remember being given £1 and from that I would pay me bus fares, go ice skating, get chips on me way home and still have sum change left

Update Reply
drobess @ 19/08/2009 17:14  

My favourites from my childhood were the cap bombs you could buy and even came free in cornflakes and used the percussion caps that went in toy guns. We had great fun with them at school often overloading the bombs and having to get them really high to detonate the caps. It was worth it for the loud bang. Typically because it was so much fun, they were ultimately banned from the playground and now caps are unobtainable.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 19/08/2009 17:54  

I remember "klackers" we had them in the land down under.... don't remember them being banned tho lol Do remember the bruises tho How about "simon" and the sweeties are still about if you hunt around lol

Update Reply
jabecs @ 19/08/2009 17:57  

www.amazon.co.uk/Peterkin-100-Shot-Gun-Caps/dp/B000H8XSPO

Cata you can still get caps from our local post office or see the link above if you want to 'play' again

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 19/08/2009 18:55  

What about chinese skipping - loads of 'lacky bands linked up together. 1 kid at one end with em round her/his ankles & another kid at the other end with the other end round her/his ankles & you had to jump in em, on em & over em

Hmmm... Regional variations, perhaps? We called that "French skipping"... wonder how it ended up with different names across the country?

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 20/08/2009 00:42  

remember seeing the old cassette tape all over the hedges ???when kids had pulled them out ....miles of the stuff

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/08/2009 00:44  

Hehe! We saw a whole bunch of cassette tape all over a street at the weekend... brought back all those memories Ian! Not something you see every day in 2009...

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 20/08/2009 00:46  

when i go back home to manchester there is always shoes thrown over the telephone wires..is this just a northern thing???

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/08/2009 00:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email