MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Meteor Show

Meteor Show - Forums [Biker Match] Meteor Show - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Meteor Show

If anybody fancies a night ride tonight, head for a non-light-polluted area, look north west and you should be treated to a light display. At its peak, there could be 100 'shooting stars' per hour and even with the current Moon condition (which is quite bright) you should be able to see half of them.

If you want to know more, Google 'Perseid meteor shower'

Happy hunting!

(also visible tomorrow night too, hopefully)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 11/08/2009 19:54  

Gah, its really overcast here

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 11/08/2009 20:18  

If anyone could offer me a flight above the cloud layer I might get to see it too! Enjoy TC!

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 11/08/2009 20:19  

Tee Cee,thats a great free show! Hopefully it will stay cloud free as promised! I normally go to a place called West wycombe up in the chiltern hills to watch.

Update Reply
pondlife @ 11/08/2009 20:20  

Great claer night here Thanx will be looki ng NW

Update Reply
Roaring Ruby @ 11/08/2009 20:30  

look up on google where the constellation perseus is,thats where they appear to eminate from hence their name perseids.

Update Reply
pondlife @ 11/08/2009 20:32  

Weds/Thurs should be good for this... the moon's not being co-operative though. I think it's being a funky gibbon. I'm pretty sure that's what they said

I was camping just up the road from Boscastle a few years back while this shower was on... bloody brilliant! Just sat outside the tent all night with my bottle of beer and the stars for company

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 11/08/2009 20:33  

Only 1 bottle Louise?? Highly unlikley

Update Reply
lezg @ 11/08/2009 20:38  

*tuts loudly*

Of COURSE only one bottle!

The rest was in cans

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 11/08/2009 20:40  

Some sources say to look north east, some north west (although Perseus is roughly NE at dusk)....Best bet is to lay on your back and look upwards, hopefully keeping the Moon out of your vision. (cos it is funky gibbonous like WB said!)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 11/08/2009 20:43  

Yep, weather looks better for Wed/Thurs but should be a good show tonight. I cannot possibly condone drinking alcohol whilst looking up at the stars.... (it normally goes straight up my nose!)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 11/08/2009 20:48  

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8196385.stm

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 11/08/2009 22:36  

i remember lying on my back beside my daughter in my garden at the last meteor shower, we saw lots of shooting stars and the like and it turned out to be a "magical" nite for us both it was a memorable nite for us!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/08/2009 23:08  

Its gone cloudy ere

Update Reply
Roaring Ruby @ 12/08/2009 01:04  

I cannot possibly condone drinking alcohol whilst looking up at the stars.... (it normally goes straight up my nose!)

One word: "straw"

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 12/08/2009 01:12  

Putting straw up yr nose to stop the alcohol getting in seems a bit extreme!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/08/2009 07:36  

ROFPML @ XK I thought I saw a 'shooting star' the other nite, think it was Sunday, not sure, summat was up there looking just like a falling star. Coulda been the cops helicopter looking for robbers lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 12/08/2009 07:54  

Only stayed for an hour or so up on the moors last night because of the clouds but saw two trails. Great company though, even managed to get my telescope out... *cough* Tonight is actually the peak time but you should always look a day before and after anyway. I know what you mean, littlechick... puts things into perspective, doesn't it! I remember we had a fantastic year once - solar eclipse (took the day off work to enjoy it), Halley's Comet and an amazing meteor shower (like a hundred electric blue Zorro sword slashes in the sky). Quite often go up on the moors and watch the Northern Lights too.... Hopefully tonight will be better.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 12/08/2009 08:35  

Darn pity i missed this post last night , hopefully it will be clear then i'll take a gander tonight...i've been a star gazer all my life since seeing something weird stone cold sober yrs ago ,not often i'm scs lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 12/08/2009 09:34  

Forgot to ask TC , was the scope a distraction *cough*.. on a more serious note the most stars i've ever seen was a few yrs ago in the kalahari bushveldt on a clear winters evening when i stumbled and banged my head on a rock...the rum did'nt help much either lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 12/08/2009 09:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email