MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Another Brother lost. RIP Bruce

Another Brother lost. RIP Bruce - Forums [Biker Match] Another Brother lost. RIP Bruce - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Another Brother lost. RIP Bruce

Bruce, a test rider for Triumph was killed today in an RTA in Northampton. Details are thin on the ground but this guy was a professional rider and very,very good. Please people, don't take your riding for granted.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 30/07/2009 21:55  

Being a newbie ghost it sends a shiver down my spine to hear about experienced riders who don't make it! Thoughts and respect to his family and thanks for the reality jolt!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 30/07/2009 21:57  

So sorry to hear that Jim. You just never know what's round the next corner, so to speak. RIP Bruce, condolences to his family and friends. Ride safe everyone x

Update Reply
Karey @ 30/07/2009 22:01  

RIP Bruce - thoughts to your family

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 30/07/2009 22:02  

As another "newbie" late to learn rider, I echo what's been said too, no wonder they teach us to ride defensively e.g. "who's gonna kill me next............" that is one thing that has stayed with me and I never forget!!! RIP Bruce and condolences to all his family and friends - very sad!

Update Reply
babyharley @ 30/07/2009 22:11  

Very sorry to hear this Jim, my thoughts are with family and friends.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 30/07/2009 22:24  

"Please people, don't take your riding for granted." Wise words indeed.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 30/07/2009 22:27  

Thank you all, an update for you. We now have an update for you on the collision on the A5. A man has died after a road traffic collision on the A5.The collision took place at about 9.05am on Thursday 30 July on the A5 at the Long Buckby Crossroads.The collision involved a motorcycle which was travelling south along the A5 and a black Volvo which was waiting at the junction, intending to cross onto the B4036.The motorcycle was a black Triumph, and the rider died as a result of the collision.Anyone with any information or who witnessed the incident is asked to call the Drivewatch Hotline on 0800 174615 or send a text to the Textline on 07765 637201.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 30/07/2009 22:44  

Sounds very much like a SMIDSY type incident Ghosty. RIP Bruce, from a fellow Trumpet rider.

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 30/07/2009 23:47  

Condolences to all who knew him.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 30/07/2009 23:53  

sober's one up!!sad indeed! bin a few accidents around here recently one chap lost a leg another died hitting a wall both incidents didnt involve anyone else ,keep alert folks dont take unneccesary risks and keep lookin ahead and around, a passenger in my car remarked how much i swivell my head around looking around at roundabouts and junctions etc! my bike habits transfer to my car driving it does wirry me that people who dont ride bikes are so unaware of things around them and only look as far as the end of there bonnet!!thayts if they can seee anything past the sat nav or L plates stuck on the windscreen sometimes!oh and on the wretched phone of course!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 30/07/2009 23:59  

I feel physically sick when I read or hear about a fatal bike "accident" I offer my sincere condolences to his family and colleagues and I hope they throw the book at the moron who caused his untimely death. R.I.P. Bruce

Update Reply
Emzed @ 31/07/2009 02:18  

So sorry to hear about this Jim,RIP Bruce & Condolences to family & friends.

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 31/07/2009 05:57  

TM makes a good point. I've had non-biking passengers in the car ask me if I use my mirrors in the past because of how much I turn my head around. My answer is always the same, "Yeah, I use the mirrors, but they don't show you everything." Still amazes me that they don't teach people to look over their shoulders for the car test. Having been using the bike far more over the last year, to the point of now using it as my main form of transport (the poor Saab only comes out occasionally!), I find myself no longer fully comfortable driving the car. There are simply so many blind spots in the car that it is pretty much impossible to be able to see all around. Even simple things like cornering I sometimes find annoying in the car. I find myself wanting to look through the corner only to find a roof pillar or something in the way. Biking is in many ways safer.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 31/07/2009 06:24  

It's very sad. Just cos some muppet cant be bothered to look properly! I just cant understand how people can fail to see a bike these days,specially when the lights are on all the time.I wonder if it was a case of misjudging the bike's speed?

Update Reply
pondlife @ 31/07/2009 07:31  

Adding my condolences... always terrible to hear of a fatal accident, especially involving a biker.

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 31/07/2009 07:50  

I second every word said so far , fact is it does'nt matter how observant we are its the actions of others that we're not in control of that will hurt us bikers...stay alert dont take bad risks . R.i.p Bruce and may the family be strong at this sad time.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 31/07/2009 08:22  

i'm constantly making myself 'read'the road, signs are there use them,from different length white lines to signs for side roads and any warning sign they are there for a reason an it aint nanny state!, it amazes me bikers racing past me as ive slowed for an aproaching junction where mr or mrs smdsy may lay in wait, train yourself to read the road and take the appropriate action! another thing is are you ready to fall? are you kitted out with all the armour its worth it even for a minor tumble ,a skinned knee aint nice![not saying that Bruce was speeding or anything]of course sayin all this theres always the unexpected whatever you do!!ps always take breaks on long rides dont manly soldier on i generally take a break every 40 odd miles now or less as i'm gettin older makes the ride much more enjoyable with a tea or coffee and a snack to keep yu goin

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 31/07/2009 10:34  

no argument there TM , i personally hate the discomfort of the armour although i use it now , with hindsight i also wish i had used it in the past as i would'nt have had the aches and pains i do now!lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 31/07/2009 10:45  

"I get you Emzed yesterday I thought I was invisible it was like trying to pick my way through a swarm of bees with the ammount of ignorent drivers who just did not consider my position to them as a problem, tootelling along filtering as I allways do, I'm always very aware of dick heads or silly bitches aplenty who just DO NOT LOOK or ignore what they see thinking "oh I'll just pull out now because I CANNNNN" fookers I litterally lost count Thursday of how many did this Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Sorry for the loss Ghosty just glad I'm not pilly with him to the great roadways in the sky :o( could have been a few times yesterday (If I'd been travelling faster or not awake I really could)." My instructor back in T' day did tell me to turn my head and look in my blind spots when he taught me to drive. He was fully aware of loads more bikers back then. And it certainly helped I was one already but the moving of the head to look was also a good thing to do so the examiner later noted you actually were looking and not sat there in a daze. R.I.P Bruce thank you for helping Triumph to become a bike manufacturer of great standing, I hope you find all your roads to be open dry and the traffic very light where you are now, if you find the time please look down on us mere mortals and be our angel on our shoulder as it'd be an honour for me to feel you are there :oD.

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 31/07/2009 14:08  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email