MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Suzuki GN125 probs

Suzuki GN125 probs - Forums [Biker Match] Suzuki GN125 probs - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Suzuki GN125 probs

ok, as most of you know I've been having problems with Mavis! I've tried a new carb on her - no difference, have tried a new coil on her - no difference, have put a new ECU on her - no difference! tested the plugs, the spark, checked the air filter, fuel filter - all clean. Dave (mechanic) has done his best to try & figure out what the piggin hell is wrong with her but nothing we try will work. When I start her up (on fullchoke) - she barbles & pops & farts & then stalls. & when I do get her running, she isn't running smoothly. The last time I tried to take her out, she wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, the more you open the throttle, the slower she got. So off the throttle & she sped up (a bit!) I've scoured the net & found a GN125 forum & have checked everything out that they recommend but still to no avail. One of the guys on here (sorry forget the name) said to try & get an electrical diagnosis - see if there's a faulty wire somewhere? But has anyone on here had experience of GN125 problems at all?? or can point me at someone who knows about Gn125's PLEASE????????

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 26/06/2009 10:07  

errr - why has this posted twice????- Can one of the mods remove the other topic please??

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 26/06/2009 10:12  

hey up stells Ive deleted the duplicate for you..lol I've been goin to a breakers in Barnsley who seems really good, he's had a couple of GN's in lately and hes getting me some bits off for spares for Ziggy. Hes sorted Ziggys chain altho im not sure its completely sorted.. but he spent 2 hours tryin to work it out, ( seems in order to get the back wheel aligned the adjusters were set differently, hes never seen owt like it!) He was brilliant tho and talked me thro everything, and got me looking under the bike to show me exactly what he was doing.. I'll text you his number.. hes in Barnsley near the Morrisons. Might be worth a try, or even a chat to him on the phone. :o)

Update Reply
Karey @ 26/06/2009 10:29  

Stells.. PM sent

Update Reply
Karey @ 26/06/2009 10:41  

Hi Stella I will PM you with something I found online, its long winded but goes through lots on the GN125 for why you could suffer loss of power. Some of the things looking at it you may be able to do without any cost others... well will leave it to you. Hope it helps x

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 26/06/2009 10:59  

I had a similar problem years ago.. turned out that there was alot of crud in the fuel tank and the fuel tank filter was blocking up..

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 26/06/2009 11:23  

she barbles & pops & farts & then stalls.

Typical bloody woman!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 26/06/2009 11:31  

Stella, As mentioned before, I'm happy to cast a new eye over things for you. Drop me a note if you like... I'm not a mechanic, but have been doing my own bikes for 20+ years, have worked in a bike shop on Saturdays, and have the sort of mind that may just come up with a solution.

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 26/06/2009 13:02  

"barbles & pops & farts & then stalls" Beat me to it Lou! I was going to say it reminds me of someone trying to get out of bed.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 26/06/2009 13:03  

I had a similar problem years ago with an XS650 which took me weeks to sort. If your bike runs points as well as checking for loose wires look very suspiciously at the points condenser. Easiest way to check is to remove the points cover and shade the points, big blue sparks across points while engine is running is a good sign of a shot condenser.

Update Reply
prof @ 26/06/2009 20:20  

errrr - points - how do I know if it runs points???

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 26/06/2009 20:24  

Look in the workshop manual? or is that a silly suggestion.

Update Reply
prof @ 26/06/2009 20:53  

what workshop manual?? lol

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 26/06/2009 20:54  

Stella, just had a google (oooerr mrs!) it looks like GS125s ran points GN125s are CDI but I couldn't swear to it.

Update Reply
prof @ 26/06/2009 21:00  

ahah - well in that case then - I've put a new CDi on it & no difference!!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 26/06/2009 21:09  

stella mayb a phone call to a suzuki mechanic may help , george wards in barnsley ? they may have an idea .... just a thought

Update Reply
nina @ 26/06/2009 21:47  

Yep, definitely CDI and not points. I ain't a mechanic and so Nina could well be right Stella, but I know what you and Dave have tried and I certainly can't think of owt else. Baffled. That's me!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 26/06/2009 22:07  

True it is CDI as are roughly 100% of modernish bikes lol They still have coil pick ups though and these could be faulty. Found usually under the left hand engine cover and to save cash is usually plastic on smaller bikes. One of the pick ups could be shaggerated. You will know if its the right cover...it has a wiring loom coming from it. Make sure its bone dry inside.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 26/06/2009 22:46  

When you find the problem let me know. Mavis older brother is still suffering from the same problem! I've checked everything i know how to do, and done what folks on here have told me, put her back together, and still runs like a bag of soot!!! The summer is here and the trumpet is still in her sickbed! Might have to bite the bullet and go to triumph garage . . . it'll max out the credit card, but at least I can take advantage of this weather!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/06/2009 13:54  

clean up all earth connectors esp one to cdi unit if not work pm me will bring tools n meter up!!!put copper grease on earth terminals lol

Update Reply
crowcat @ 29/06/2009 16:20  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email