MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

New Motorcycle Test

New Motorcycle Test (3) - Forums [Biker Match] New Motorcycle Test (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

New Motorcycle Test

I did my test when the examiner was on foot as well, but by that time they'd stopped jumping out on you and instead raised their hand from the roadside. This was apparently because they'd lost too many examiners lol! And I have to say, doing this test (probably the one and only time I have ever done let alone practised a U-turn - "U turn, what's a U-turn?") didn't hurt my riding. Ok, so I may have crashed once before my test and about half a dozen times afterwards before I got some proper training, but hey, who's counting!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 12/06/2009 11:11  

Don't know what all the fuss is about Module 1 training...my instructor took me through it step by step on a lovely big Honda....he ensured I did every bit perfect before moving on...and then linked it all together...I recommend Tony from Active Motorcycle Training in Derby to anyone...he was brilliant..he reckons this hype about the new test is now unjustified....

The only downfall was I was supposed to take Module 1 tomorrow but guess what the DSA cancelled it til next week!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 22/06/2009 21:51  

Sorry to hear they moved it on you, I know when mine was moved how dissapointing it was, will be thinking of you next week, good luck x

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 22/06/2009 21:54  

Erm...what's Module 1, summat else new or am I just a bit behind the times?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 22/06/2009 22:28  

Thanks Shell xxxxxxxxxx

Kwak...yep not only is there a completely new CBT...there is now Module 1 and Module 2 for your full test...on top of the theory and hazard perception test..good way of making money! Look at DSA site for further details...

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 23/06/2009 13:09  

www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=405

www.activemotorcyclingtraining.co.uk and click onto their video

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 23/06/2009 13:14  

Ta for the info BC but I'm not in a position to carry on with my motorcycle training and probably never will be. So when did they bring in the modules? I've never heard of it before and we usually have someone letting us know when owt changes, or gets added. I dread to think what it now costs to do all the required elements. CBT is deffo a money-making scheme. But don't get me started lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/06/2009 16:19  

It was changed at the end of April this year Kwak, the mod 1 part of the text is £10, the mod 2 is £70, you can book mod 1 & 2 together however if you fail mod 1 you cannot do 2 & so lose the £70... if you do not book at the same time you have to allow 2 weeks between passing 1 & doing 2... or so I have been told. Theres a lot going on about it not being safe , having done it (tho failed) I like BC dont see what the fuss is about, I know a lot is because the test does not take into account the condition of the road or the weather & personally I think a lot of issues on test have happened as all the test centres have new tarmac laid & not all of them have been done correctly, the one closest to me has been laid 3 times since the start of the year & is still holding water when it rains. You can still do a CBT every 2 years & ride on L plates so thats not changed, there are yet more changes planned for 2013 tho & from what I have read that will mean more tests, ie if you pass on a 125 you have to prove you are good enough before riding a restricted bike & then still have to do a test to move to 125+/ unrestricted bike, you dont auto move up after 2 years More costs to the motorcyclist

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 23/06/2009 16:28  

Ah right Shell, I see where my confusion started. I know about the new elements to the practical test but never heard them called MODULES before. Mystery solved. The government are just trying to price us off the road. What has changed for CAR drivers? Are they expected to upgrade their driving skills, assuming they have any, which is debatable considering how many near misses and actual accidents some of them cause? Changing subject a tad, does anyone know WHERE road tax goes to exactly? Deffo not to maintain / repair Huddersfield roads. *passes soap box to next biker who wants it lol*

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/06/2009 16:41  

Dont get me or Mr_P started on the state of UK roads !!!! We went round parts of France in April , the roads there so smooth, even the ones in the back of beyond where you only go when you have a sat nav with a sence of humour . Ian said it was bliss riding there even when fully loaded, & as a pillion I noticed the difference, then we got back here !!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 23/06/2009 16:49  

Extract from Directgov: direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/Practica.../DG_178328 Booking and retaking your test You can book both modules at the same time but you must have passed your module one test before you can take module two. If you fail module one you must wait three working days before being eligible to retake your test. If you can’t give the Driving Standards Agency the required three working days' notice of cancellation, you will lose your module two test fee. If you fail your module two test, you must wait 10 clear working days before being able to retake the module. So it's three working days notice to cancel and not lose your fee. Three working days to retake Mod 1 and 10 working days to retake Mod 2. The rest is up to how quickly you are able to secure a new test date within those parameters. The husband of a woman I work with is doing his DAS at the moment. He booked Mods 1 and 2 for the same day, failed Mod 1 and couldn't take Mod 2 so lost the fee. Booked Mod 1 (but not Mod 2, once bitten and all that) again for the following week and passed. Managed to get a Mod 2 test for the following week which he sadly also failed (last week, they were going to go to the Farmyard Party if he'd passed). He's got another test next week for as soon as his 10 days are up. He's been very lucky in not to having to wait for test spots though. Each Mod 2 retest is costing him £210!! Not sure how much the Mod 1 retest was but I expect only the difference in the fees - £60.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 23/06/2009 18:45  

Thanks for that Rachel, as I had said I was only going off what I had been told & as I have damaged the ligament in my ankle & wont be ready for a while to take it I havnt looked it up. I guess if you booked the 2 tests mod 1 on Monday mod 2 Friday you could book them both together & still be within the 3 days to cancel if you failed mod 1. I do know tho that my local test centre said would cost me £10 to redo my mod 1 after I failed. £210 for each mod 2 retest seems steep ... is he having a days riding too with the instructor 1st ?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 23/06/2009 19:11  

You're welcome. I'd looked it up a few months ago myself for when I was booking as I was getting confused over if you had to wait 10 days before rebooking or just to take the test, so knew roughly were to find it again. With the pressure I was under to get my test passed before it changed timing was crucial as I needed time to practice (was off the bike for five weeks in Jan/Feb due to surgery) yet time to fail and rebook if necessary. I was all in a tizz over..."if I have to wait 10 days before I can book and then there's no tests...arrgggh, what will I do!!" I booked in Feb and because I opted to take my test in Derby (a very popular area) the earliest dates were 3 times all on 11th March and then non until 20th April! Needless to say I opted for the 11th and knew if I didn't pass there was no way I was going to squeeze another test in before the end of April. My best chance was to attempt a retest in Leeds where test spots were available for the next day! Yep, that's my understanding, the closest you could book your tests with the safety zone of being able to cancel Mod 2 if you fail Mod 1 is a Mon and Fri or equivilent. You're telling me it's expensive! I commented on the additional expense really only thinking of the extra £70 each time but I was forgetting it's DAS so it's the hire of the bike and the instructors time - are there any schools that will do this on anything other than a half day. Even so, £210 is a huge amount and more than I think is reasonable but I don't know if he's having a full day for that - you'd hope so wouldn't you! I'll ask tomorrow.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 23/06/2009 19:43  

Amazing. I turned up on a battered old GP100 and rode around the block a couple of times. Then I was asked to stop in front of the examiner (emergency stop) and then to finish asked to do a U-turn (which the examiner had to explain to me properly cos I'd never practised one). He then asked me a couple of dead easy questions on signs and told me I'd passed. Of course one big difference between now and then was that I went out a few weeks later and bought a CX500 (50bhp and 220kg dry). I would have bought something bigger and faster, but as with everyone back then I couldn't afford to. Even if I could have afforded one of the latest sportsbikes, it would have been something like a GPZ900 (115bhp/260kg wet). Compare that to a new ZX10 for example (197bhp/179kg dry) and the difference is obvious. (Or in other words 500bhp/tonne compared to 1100bhp/tonne)

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 23/06/2009 20:17  

Haha! I think I posted this earlier (probably in this thread!) but a guy at work was telling me - he FELL OFF on his test and managed to pass. You lot that have been riding for years keep telling us newbies we don't know we're born - neither do you lot!!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 23/06/2009 20:22  

My sentiments exactly Rach!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 25/06/2009 00:12  

Module 1 Ive done it with no faults so its not as scary as I thought...was nervous mind you..and I got expert training from Active Motorcycle Training in Derby so ....come on get these tests booked...if I can do it anyone can!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 29/06/2009 12:50  

Dont forget you had a bad ankle too Congrats again

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 29/06/2009 13:03  

Well I'm a newbie, but scraped in before the new style test. Glad I did, but can't help thinking I'd be a better rider if I'd had to do the new test! U-turns, on me VFR - gimme a small runway and I can do them.

Update Reply
stewwolfie @ 29/06/2009 22:13  

did my test one year and twelve days ago on a 125, so so easy when i look back, i hadn`t thought of having another bike for the 23 years that i was raising my family but im so glad that i took the test when i did and all of you who are struggling now will look back when it changes again and think you had it easy too, god only knows how they will change it next but im sure that someone somewhere is thinking hard about how to get even more of us off the road.

Update Reply
julie j @ 29/06/2009 22:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email