MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

New Motorcycle Test

New Motorcycle Test - Forums [Biker Match] New Motorcycle Test - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

New Motorcycle Test

It looks like they are gonna rethink the new test.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8067212.stm "The new test was brought in at the end of April and in the first three and a half weeks there were 15 incidents during the exam, with at least one rider left with broken bones."

Update Reply
Karey @ 26/05/2009 10:01  

interesting. Sounds pretty stupid though. Has anyone done the test?

Update Reply
Matt @ 26/05/2009 10:22  

/Rant on I saw something on the news this am - they were interviewing an instructor & basically made him look like a fool for daring to suggest that a Learner doing this manouver in the wet was unsafe. They stated that if they had to do it for real in the wet, then surely they must have to learn it in the wet aswell..I would like to see L plate car drivers have to do high speed manouvers in the wet & see how they would fair! They stated that there were so many bike accidents that learning these manouvers was a good thing, however what they didn't say was that a lot of these accidents were caused by car drivers not paying attention! /rant off!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 26/05/2009 10:49  

So the logical extension is that a car test has to include an emergency stop on a wet road. Could be interesting!

Update Reply
Wills @ 26/05/2009 10:59  

dont forget up and down the country training centres and self employed instructors have given up on what they are trained to do because they cannot get people up to the required standard or that the cost for das of being accompanied on a long journey to the nearest test centre is prohibitive,and prob many other reasons. Can you imagine having to give up on a business that you have invested time and money in over the years because of what could turn out to be the government learning their lesson the hard way? will all these instructors ever be able to work in this field again, it is turning motorcycling into an elitist hobby out of the reach of many and encouraging the element who take to the roads illegally endangering all of us! does anyone know what the views of all of the different political parties are on this issue..... or are they just not bothered?

Update Reply
julie j @ 26/05/2009 12:53  

Now is the time for a "Bikers are Voters" campaign An all party motorcycle group exists and the Liberals have several "high profile" biking MP's But we must make a co-ordinated effort to get our message across well before an election is called

Update Reply
Emzed @ 26/05/2009 13:35  

If the government had a real interest in reducing congestion and bringing down CO2 levels, they would be promoting bikes, not discouraging them. How can they possibly call themselves green, when there blatantly trying to encourage more cars by subsidizing with the offer of £2K trade in. That money should be going toward the public transport network, not used to try to encourage consumerism. As to where the money will come from some bright spark thought "I know, well charge bikes to park!" yeah, nice move, NOT! Its totally unfair to expect bike rides to do the "swerve test" and not incorporate a similar test on cars. If a car looses control, it has the capability of taking out a lot more innocent bystanders than bikes do, yet its not a problem. I heard an official say "If it saves one life its worth it" so if the swerve test takes one life my question is "was it worth it"?

Update Reply
Newkid @ 27/05/2009 01:03  

That is why my instructors told me to hang fire with my DAS and test after passing the new style CBT.....they said the Government will be forced to change it....so that is what I am doing waiting so I don't have to risk my own safety in doing the swerve test...mind you the other day coming back from Hatton to Hilton...I would have passed with flying colours....I had to drop the bike down and back up to miss a stupid woman who just tear arsed out of a junction at me clearly not looking...I missed her by inches...I wasn't scared but annoyed...I acted with instinct....but thinking back now I don't think I would like to attempt such a maneouvre knowing I've got to do it...how can you react like that under such false test conditions...No wonder so many folk have injured themselves...

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 27/05/2009 10:52  

Might be a numpty question, but how could the UK change the new test unilaterally, if it's supposed to be a Europe-wide test?

I was given to understand by my CBT instructor that the test changes were as a result of a European Directive.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 27/05/2009 11:08  

So the logical extension is that a car test has to include an emergency stop on a wet road. Could be interesting!

Erm... but they do already... if it happens to be raining, don't they?

Same as the bike test... they don't chuck a load of water at you to simulate wet weather conditions... it's just if you're unlucky enough to have bad weather on your test day, you have to lump it.

They already cancel driving tests in extreme weather conditions e.g. snow/ice and presumably the same applies to bike tests? I don't know, as I've never done a bike test... yet

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 27/05/2009 11:51  

I do the test next Monday (June 1st) if all goes well, should have done it last Tuesday but between the riding school & the test centre the tax disc fell off the bike so they would not let me do it Will let you all know what happens ... If I am not in hospital !! Am hoping it stays dry tho, the test centre I am doing it at has had to be resurfaced twice so far & its still holding water in places when it rains.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 29/05/2009 09:01  

Awww how annoying is that?! Get yourself all psyched up only to have the bloody tax disc fall off!

You won't be in hospital and you'll pass with flying colours... how's that for positive mental attitude? Best of luck!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 29/05/2009 09:09  

Well I saw one person fail cos went through speed trap at 49kph & one pass, with no injuries. I am looking forward to it & getting another days practice Monday morning FOC as was not my fault last week :-)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 29/05/2009 09:13  

Good Luck Shell! Keep us posted!

Update Reply
Karey @ 29/05/2009 09:39  

Best of luck Shell...will be sending you positive thoughts...take care ride safe...Rose xx

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 30/05/2009 22:24  

so shell, how did you get on, bin thinking about you today

Update Reply
julie j @ 01/06/2009 17:44  

to SV Shell xxxx

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 01/06/2009 22:24  

Have just looked at a video of the swerve test on YouTube and it doesn't look too bad... (in fact, looks like a good skill to have under your belt!) Anyone currently learning have experience of it?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 05/06/2009 17:51  

Thanksholmfirthgirl - give instructors a break . very true mod 1s are a nitemare so am told ... funny but hard to teach can imagine and hard to do xx

Update Reply
Calamityjane @ 09/06/2009 21:41  

That is why my instructors told me to hang fire with my DAS and test after passing the new style CBT.....they said the Government will be forced to change it....

See - this is the bit I don't get.

How does one instructor "know" that the UK Government is going to be "forced to change" the new test.

Surely the whole thing about part of it being done off-road was so the UK could comply with the Europe-wide legislation i.e. that the manoeuvres be carried out at 50kph.

It was a safety measure to conduct these parts of the test off-road, so that candidates weren't either carrying out the manoeuvres on 40mph roads, putting themselves and other road-users at risk, or breaking UK law by speeding on 30mph roads to carry out these parts of the test.

Yes it's annoying that there are fewer test centres now and that the rolling out of the new test was put back by 6 months due to the new centres not being ready etc, but can the UK Government, within European Law, make a unilateral decision to bin the European Directive and change back from the new test?

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 10/06/2009 09:18  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email