MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Maxxis Tyres

Maxxis Tyres (4) - Forums [Biker Match] Maxxis Tyres (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Maxxis Tyres

Modern tyres do offer much better mileages than they used to, often due to multiple compounds. My Michelins are coming up to around ten thousand miles and I do tend to "give it sum" when I can. Saying this, I note the comment about not using hard acceleration before around 500 miles in the wet (sensible advice by the way) and just thought that depending on bike and tyre you may not get to 500!! I have heard of horror stories of people fitting the latest semi-track rubber onto their ZZR/Hayabusa and ripping a rear tyre up in around that time. That wouldn't be good.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 31/07/2009 06:47  

Geoff , back in SA a lot of bikers chose to use Michelins but i've read some negative posts here regarding them , i must add though that because of the climate (80% dry roads)there is surely a good reason for these comments , what is your opinion ? the Michelins are more expensive than Bridgestones there and i honestly had better roadholding and got more k's on a set on the dry surfaces.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 31/07/2009 10:13  

The 9K I got on the BM rear was a Michelin. It was fitted at dealer as I was going on a trip and got piece of metal through the Diablo just by the dealers shop. I wasnt to sure about it at first as didnt like them in the past. But it was a good tyre with good feel and grip

Update Reply
micksaway @ 31/07/2009 23:25  

I'm not very experienced on wet surfaces and thats why i need the advice on tires as mine will need changing next year , it seems that Maxxis are the way to go as FJ has put them to the test in most conditions , however i'm still open to suggestions , Emz and Geoff have also given valuable advice on this thread which i take to heart...by the way my wet riding is ok i just tend to take it easier and keep a bigger distance between other vehicles when i can .

Update Reply
excalibur @ 01/08/2009 07:32  

i hear they are really good tyres, we have a quad bike shop two doors down fron our shop, thee guy also has alot to do with bikes and servicing, he swears by them, rates them highly.........exc..i hate riding in the wet..i am like driving miss daisy....really slow

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/08/2009 09:08  

Thanx Ian lol...not much choice about the wet riding though , i've started off with cloudy and dry and got drenched a couple of times within a 1/2 hour of leaving home...get back and dry off and the fn sun starts shining again lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 01/08/2009 12:13  

exc i've done 400 miles on the maxxis tyres now and about 50 in the wet. They've hardly worn the bobbles off yet and i've ignored all advice and rived the pants off it for the last 100 miles and they seem totally confidence inspiring. I checked last night and i've got within 5mm of the edge without realising it and for me that's summat. So far they seem great tyres for the money

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 01/08/2009 12:20  

Great stuff RK , but take it easy mate or else you'll be riding on the rims lol well it seems like its gonna be maxxis for my 900 than , maybe the saving's will pay for my heated grips .

Update Reply
excalibur @ 01/08/2009 13:09  

would these tyres be ok for my blackbird....can they cope doing 200mph.........oops sorry officer ....it wasnt me !!!! its the voices in my head making me ride fast

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/08/2009 19:48  

Ian the fastest i've been on a bike was 140mph on my vmax it started weaving and i slacked of quickly , it just felt unstable at that speed (clock reading) i loved the max's acceleration it got the blood pumping , but nothing compared to the b/bird and other super bikes though.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 01/08/2009 20:14  

i was only joking exc......i have not been much faster, too many responsibities, too much to lose if anything went wrong.....i am no speed demon

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/08/2009 20:17  

I have read this thread and am surprise that no one has mentioned Avon Storms, they are a premium grade tyre at a bargain price which handle great wet or dry and last really well. I fit them to a GSXR 1000 K6 and get 3.5k-4K from a rear where OE Bridgestone BT14's were getting wiped out by 1.5k. For summer and trackdays I am using Avon Viper super sports (their sticky rd legal tyre) and that is great, rear, last about 2.5k road and track, plodding around mid-field in the fast group! Go on try something great and British for once!!

No doubt with more conservative riding a rear Storm would exceed 5k...but I like riding for fun.

Update Reply
finbarred @ 01/08/2009 21:28  

My mate Matt has Storms on his ZZR 1400 and raves about them. Think he gets around 6K out of a set

Update Reply
micksaway @ 01/08/2009 23:39  

cheers micks....good to know....do all dealers do them etc ???

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2009 07:36  

6K out of a set, Christ i'd want double that!

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 02/08/2009 18:03  

2wheeled i've just changed mine this week after gettin 2.5k ish outta the rear! Hows your bike doin by the way, you got your new front end on?

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 02/08/2009 18:23  

2k racked up now , maxxis still fairing well , about 50% legal tread still remaining in centre , should make it to 4k on the rear .

should have new maxxis front tyre on next week .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 08/08/2009 11:31  

Just replaced my tyres for another pair of Michelin Road 2s at a cost of around £230. Last pair still had a bit of tread left before the wear markers, but were starting to feel like worn tyres do. Not bad though after 10k miles.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/08/2009 17:43  

Well i've done just over 500 mles on my Maxxis and I can't believe how good they are for the dosh, far better than the previous bridgestones but nearly 100 quid cheaper. I'm taking corners now like Rossi

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/08/2009 20:29  

Saw some Maxis sports in GW's bike shop in swindon, no-way i would put them on me bike! No tread going to the edge of the tyre, so in the wet whilst cornering, bye bye bike, as you end up on your ass!

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 09/08/2009 00:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email