MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Maxxis Tyres

Maxxis Tyres - Forums [Biker Match] Maxxis Tyres - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Maxxis Tyres

With credit crunch taking it's toll , i have opted for a budget price Maxxis Tyre .

Has anyone tried Maxxis Tyres on their bike ?

I am normally a stickler for Bridgestone Tyres on my bike , with current finance situation saving £40 was the better choice .

Will update on this as I get use out of the Maxxis , grip , stability , wear etc .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 02/05/2009 12:57  

Nope, never used them, but I would be interested in finding out opinions, it is getting to the point where I need new tyres and I cant wait to get rid of the Dunlops that are on there, as I dont trust them. What bike are you riding as that will make a difference?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 02/05/2009 13:45  

Bandit 1200K2 .

Just been for a quick blast out , 25 miles and tyre has bobbling , must be a full-on sports compound , guessing it won't last long , last sports tyre i put on bandit was an Avon lasted a whole 800mile .

Will see how it fairs over the coming weeks , certainly seems to be stable and grippy .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 02/05/2009 14:46  

Crikey FJ, hope it lasts longer than that otherwise that's not going to work very cost effective!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 02/05/2009 19:45  

Is it bobbling or cold tearing of the tyres? If they are a hard compund and you rag them before they have had a chance to get warm it can rip them to shreds

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 02/05/2009 21:10  

Cant be arsed to type it all out again Another post that has Disapeared

Update Reply
micksaway @ 02/05/2009 21:36  

Yes Fastjock, I have used them for years when they were called Cheng-Shing. I even used them on a proddie racer with no faults. Trout face Nial McKenzie? uses them on his road going GSXR1000 with no complaints, they only really start to show weakness when pushed very hard on a track. You made a good choice. I have converted several people over to them. People stick to what they know usually which in fairness is human nature. Don't forget that tyre companies market their tyres as sexy must haves, remember the pirelli diablo corsa that first adorned the 916? A week later every posing arse had got them. Magazines never help either...thier articles are usually sponsored by a tyre company or the company that imports a certain brand of tyre. Ride magazine for instance quite often whore out to Bridgestone or Michelin "for fairness" they say. More like have some free stuff in return for slapping our name all over the place.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 11/05/2009 06:57  

Cheers ghosthunter , all looking positive then .
Certainly proving to be just as good as bridgestone so far .

Was talking to hightower on Saturday night , he had been on biker forums finding out best tyre for his TL1000(original widowmaker) , he had been told to get Maxxis tyres on it . Told him i would keep up-dating this post , to keep peeps informed on progress .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 12/05/2009 22:54  

I always had Metzelers or Continentals on the old BMWs, then swapped to Bridgestones on the K-bikes and was very happy with them. I've never really heard from anyone who's unhappy with Bridgestones.
Then I bought an oilhead BMW in January and it came with newish Avons. Must say it handles very accurately and I feel far more confident really dropping it into corners that I did with the K, aka the Bismarck. (Pause for hysterical laughter from those who followed me on a pipe-and-slippers ride to Matlock t'other day).
There again the Divvy's got Bridgestones...you can't go wrong with em, can you?

Update Reply
Wills @ 13/05/2009 00:10  

My vmax was bought used with a set of bridgestones , on just over 10 thou k's i fitted a new rear bridgestone which lasted the same distance , then changed to michellins front and rear , recently sold the max with 13 thou+ on the clock , new owner road worthied without fitting tires !

Update Reply
excalibur @ 13/05/2009 04:29  

My mistake ! not 13 thou on the clock ...should read ( on the michellins ) ps.handling improved as well ,

Update Reply
excalibur @ 13/05/2009 04:33  

I was not unhappy with the bridgstones , loved them still do , was jus too skint at the time so bought the maxxis , which is proving to be just as good , usually get just short of 4000miles on a rear bridgestone , had avon azaro 4200miles not quite as grippy in the wet , original tyres(bandit bought brand new) michelin macadams 3800miles thankfully , horrible horrible tyres slid on every corner . Got a couple of thousand miles to clock up in the next couple o months , lets see how the maxxis fairs .

Bridgestone rear 180/55/zr17 £115 + £20 ride in ride out fitting = £135
Maxxis bought of ebay £74.90 + £10 fitting to loose wheel = £84.90

Saving £50.10

Update Reply
fastjock @ 13/05/2009 22:33  

not being a hardrider anymore means my tires normally give me fair useage , even 2 up i always averaged about 6500 miles on the rear....thats a big saving FJ! ps. have a great B'day

Update Reply
excalibur @ 14/05/2009 11:42  

When I first got my CBR600 it had Mich D207's on, absolute crap, slid on all bends. Changed it over to Pirelli Diablo corsa, then the corsa 3 (dual compound), which were great when the roads nice and hot, something we don't often get in England, , but crap in the wet, something we do!! Even the dual compound wears flat very easy, and the rubber rolls like a pencil eraser on sustained motorway, don't last long before flattening.

Brought myself a second rear wheel, and after much research for a general all rounder, fitted it with a Metz Z6 as a winter tyre. Absolutely amazed at its consistency in all weathers, though not as s**t to a blanket in hot weather as Pirelli, its really damn good, got a nice broad break point ya can play with! As for tyre wear, did a bit of motorway at 100-110 (KPH of course, ) pulled into services and inspected, center was glossy, not rolling like Pirelli, but mega sticky like glue, brill grip. Now done 5K on it, and it still hasn't flattened off, matched it with the front Z6 and its great. Apparently they now do a dual compound version, that should give it the s**t to a blanket on the bends, so going to try that when this ones worn out, but still plenty left.

Just keeping the Pirelli for those mega summer days, which will come, .

Know its not a cheapy, but in youth ya want it to go quicker, with maturity, ya want it to stop quicker, .

Update Reply
Newkid @ 14/05/2009 16:33  

Interesting post Newkid, We did blind tyre tests at MIRA and found that sports touring compound tyres always gave the most consistancy and gripped better from the off, rather than having a pukka sports compound that needed a few laps moderate use before you could see the benefit. For the record I have just junked a Bridgestone front for a Maxis and the turn in and grip is a lot better. When its the rears turn Thats having a maxis too. I keep telling people not to buy the latest shit hot tyres because in our climate ( unless you race or are a total loon) you will rarely get them up to a good operating temp, Go for a sports touring compound/tread pattern because it is designed to be consistant in all weathers and they last far longer.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 14/05/2009 17:46  

140 mile round trip this weekend , tyres fairing well , defo proving to b just as good as bridgestones , saw another bandit with them on at rally , looking like they should get a good mileage too .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 24/05/2009 22:37  

Another 280 miles this wknd , tyre still performing well , friday was first time out in the wet since tyre was fitted , cornering in the wet proved to b just as good as bridgestone , however did spin up a bit quicker in the wet when powered up to over-take , all in all am very pleased with the Maxxis , would defo recommend them .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 07/06/2009 22:51  

Thats good news FJ , i'll remember that when changing tires on the daytona , always good to have a reliable feedback on parts and prices !

Update Reply
excalibur @ 08/06/2009 07:18  

were they expensive fj ???

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2009 11:32  

Rear was £75 off ebay , £10 to have it swapped over .

Will b changing front b4 long , under £60 for front off ebay

I put a price comparison on earlier in the forum ian , think it's on page 1 , on me lunch hr at mo so not much time to go looking back thru .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 08/06/2009 14:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email