MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Maxxis Tyres

Maxxis Tyres (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Maxxis Tyres (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Maxxis Tyres

cheers buddy, i should of looked through the post first..derr lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2009 17:33  

Well n truely tested tday , caned the bandit from Ripon to Tanhill n back again , loads o twisties had a ball , never stepped out once , tread form must b more rounded than bridgestone , have only managed to get within half inch of edge o tread , bridgestone would have been right to the edge , gonna take some serious lean angle to get to the edge of the maxxis .

Looking like maxxis will b good for 4000mile +

Update Reply
fastjock @ 14/06/2009 20:16  

i'm sure i will be needing a set for next year , so i'll be checking your ongoing feedback FJ , looking very positive so far !

Update Reply
excalibur @ 14/06/2009 21:50  

750 miles clocked up this weekend , maxxis still fairing well , defo gonna b a long lasting tyre , nearly 1500 miles now n still loads o tread left .

Had a couple of slippery moments on round-abouts , could well have been diesel spill tho .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 05/07/2009 22:34  

i got one on the back of the R1 and it seems ok but whot do i know lol !! It feels well planted nand grips well so will see.

Update Reply
rifraf @ 26/07/2009 11:11  

I know this is gonna sound like a proper newbie question lads but at what point should you change a tyre? My rear has just about nothing left in the middle but the majority of the tyre still has a couple of mm left at least. Do I need to ride eveywhere on a tilt to get use out of the rest of the tyre or should I be thinking about changing it now?

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 26/07/2009 12:04  

I go for sooner rather than later, just changed both tyres as they were on the wear bars in the centre tread with loads of meat on the outside. Depends on the roads your using, long dual/motorway journeys will take the centre out. The legal bumph is below. Any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross train weight (GTW) over 3500kgs or a motorcycle above 50cc must, either: The grooves of the tread pattern must have a depth of a least 1 mm throughout a continuous band measuring at least three-quarters of the breadth of the tread and round the entire outer circumference of the tyre, OR if the grooves of the original tread pattern of the tyre do not extend beyond three-quarters of the breadth of the tread (i.e. common with motorcycle tyres) any groove of the original pattern must have a minimum depth of at least 1 mm.

Update Reply
lezg @ 26/07/2009 13:00  

Thanks for that lezg, much appreciated. Looks like I need a new tyre then. Now do I take a chance on these Maxxis jobs (obviously cheaper) knowing I ain't that great a rider (wondering if they'll be as forgiving) or stick with the current Bridgestones (better the devil you know). Just thinking out loud here! Any thoughts/advice peeps?

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 26/07/2009 13:11  

Whilst on the subject of new tyres, what's this scrubbing in business all about? Why do we need to do it, what is it and for how many miles??

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 26/07/2009 14:46  

Pleasure RK. I ordered Bridgestones, then read this post and thought f*** should have tried the Maxxis. How much cheaper are they against how long they gonna last. 2 B/stones £241 wheels off. Lasted 7500ml on 650 bandit no complaints there. Are you clocking the miles quickly? Mine was done over 30mths so works out £100 a year, cheaper than the car. The Maxxis are getting good press here..........Let me know which way you go, interested in how the Maxxis fair.

Update Reply
lezg @ 26/07/2009 14:58  

Tyres are made out of oil basically. You need to get the shine off all the way round up the side. Some will find a quiet roundabout and go round both ways (yes illeagal) or a tarmac industrial est. Or you could just take it easy for the first couple hundered, depends on your riding. If you like to blast about the former method would save you a potentially lethal corner.

Update Reply
lezg @ 26/07/2009 15:05  

I bought the bike 8 weeks ago and the back tyre was almost new. I've covered 3k in that time and it's about shot so either my bad riding or the bikes a tyre eater! I'll price up Maxxis and see if anyone in the Fazer club has any further comments on them and let you know which way I go mate.

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 26/07/2009 15:07  

The Ltr bikes will eat rears a lot quicker than smaller bikes, a lot depends on your right wrist and how fast you move it............Quick for fun and quick tyre wear

Update Reply
lezg @ 26/07/2009 15:14  

Makes you wonder why they don't pre-scrub tyres then if there's potential for an off! Seems a bit strange to supply something that is potentially lethal in its 'new' state and puts the rider at risk

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 26/07/2009 15:28  

All tyres are the same, bike, car, truck or bus roads are the same too. New laid tarmac is lethal until its worn in ie. the oily substance on the surface is worn away. Even the "high grip" surfaces on the approaches to roundabouts and junctions.... these have LESS grip than a normal road surface for around three months. Many accidents happen because of it but the benifits out weigh the downfalls overall. Watch F1 cars after they've pitted, they slide about for a few laps. Been in a slidy situation myself after 4 new tyres on the car

Update Reply
lezg @ 26/07/2009 15:44  

I've only heard of it relative to bikes and to be honest i've had a few potent rear wheel drive cars and had new boolers on but never given it any thought! Cheers for the info lez, i'm sure there's plenty more newcomers found it useful. I've asked the Fazer 1000 club if anyones got any comments on the Maxxis tyres and I'll post any replies I get on the thread. Fj seems really chuffed with them so it would be interesting to see if there's any negative comments to think about.

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 26/07/2009 15:55  

All to do with contact area and weight, with us on 2 wheels there is very little of both so makes it a bigger problem and bigger talking point.

Update Reply
lezg @ 26/07/2009 16:15  

Speak for yourself on the weight issue Lez, me n the bikes probably heavier than most cars lol

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 26/07/2009 16:45  

Update Reply
lezg @ 26/07/2009 16:51  

Well i've spoken to loads of people today about these tyres and most agree with FJ, not one negative comment so i'm ordering a pair tomorrow for £145.00 fitted! A saving of £95.00

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 27/07/2009 22:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email