MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

L Plates, learners and tests

L Plates, learners and tests (5) - Forums [Biker Match] L Plates, learners and tests (5) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

L Plates, learners and tests

Yeah, they are called....... Bikerchicks

Update Reply
Emzed @ 19/05/2009 14:17  

What 6ft tall ones that are built like a brick **** house!! Must say I do have the advantage of size and weight behind me especially downhill and with the wind behind me!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 19/05/2009 14:19  

So THATS how you do it

Update Reply
Emzed @ 19/05/2009 14:21  

Yep and a good dose of baked beans does the trick!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 19/05/2009 14:24  

Wind assisted Thats cheatin

Update Reply
Emzed @ 19/05/2009 14:25  

I just thought I would add to this thread i started a few months ago.
Reading back I think I went about trying to pass my test totally in the wrong way. I tried to get there with so litttle riding experience. many people have done it this way and are quite happy with it good for them but its not for me.
I spent almost £1000 in total having 5 lessons taking the CBT and the theory and full test. I realise now I was no way ready for my test dispite trainers saying I was. I have now goe about it anotherway without rushing.
I have bought a Gn125 as you knoiw. I paid £450 for it off e bay and just had my first biking holidayon my own bike - i have had lots as a pilion rider.
I have had a fantastic time soaring through the lanes of Essex gaining experience on all sorts of roads and lanes. through heavy traffic and road resurfacing loose chippings (How do you get tarmac off your exhaust??)
I know its not many miles compared to a biking touring holiday but I have knocked up 320 miles and am dead proud of myself. My purse is so pleased too as it only cost me £12 and I still have almost a full petrol tank.
I still feel the need to gain more experience before putting in again for the dreaded two part test.
I am so much more confident now and have reached the stage that I no longer have to concentrate on the gear changes etc. I would surely recomend that if you are unsure if you are ready for your test then dont do it dispite what the teacher tells ya!. Get a little bike and practise, practise . practise!!
I did nearly lose it twice on bends which made e slip back into a shaking goof but I soon regained my confidence again.
I just loved the week the company and the bike!!

Update Reply
moonstone @ 06/07/2009 11:23  

Hi moon, what a lovely post and I'm so pleased you had a lovely first biking holiday! I too am enjoying the riding experience and am glad that I didn't put in for my test when i did my CBT. My instructor said i could go straight into DAS, but I think it would have been silly, even if i had passed, as I would have got a big bike and not known how to handle it. Thanks to so many good ppl on here I have been out and about on Ziggy not excessively, but on quite a few rides and have covered all sorts of hazards and everyday occurences that if I had come across on my own on a bigger bike, I may not have handled as well. I've also done my first rally as a rider and not a pillion and loved it. When I rode back from Emzeds with Sumo and Jabecs, I felt confident and Sumo said I should put in for my test, which would probs make sense now, as I've heard there's about a 6 month waiting list, which gives me another 6 months of practice at my own pace. Its so expensive to take the test that I want to make sure I'm fully confident before attempting it. Good Luck with your riding and your test when you eventually decide to take it, there's no rush, just enjoy the learning. PS.. having said that, I could do with a faster bike as I have Ziggy on full throttle and could go some more!

Update Reply
Karey @ 06/07/2009 11:48  

Lovely to hear about your good experiances Moonstone.I agree wholeheartedly with gaining real road experiance over expensive lessons,nothing,no matter how good your instructor is,can prepare you for the idiots/situations you come across on a daily basis whilst riding,there is no substitute for miles under the belt. Well done on regaining your confidence and getting out there and enjoying your bike,thats what its all about after all. Oh and a wee word of caution to the ladies on 125s,be patient,you may want to go faster but if your bike dosna it will let you know in a very expensive way!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/07/2009 12:36  

lol @ Cassie.. whats the latest on your bike?

Update Reply
Karey @ 06/07/2009 12:38  

Moonstone As many people on this site know, from a professional point of view, I'm not a fan of DAS, not with modern superbikes being so accessible. I think you've made the sensible choice. Get a little 125 and practise on it. After a while you'll be in a better position to know as to whether to go down the DAS route or to go for a restricted license (remember even if you are restricted to 33bhp, there's nothing stopping you from taking DAS a year down the line). Anyone who does take the DAS route, I would urge to consider getting something that isn't too big straight away anyway. Something like a 500/600cc all rounder would be a good stepping stone and gain a couple of years experience on this before progressing to a sports bike or similar. It's how the vast majority of people did it who have been riding for a while (often not by choice admittedly) and it has to be safer than passing your direct access and buying a 1000cc sports bike or Busa etc. My last accident was 11 years ago on a VTR1000 Firestorm (very underrated machine) and it was a biggie! 95mph, ran wide exiting a left hander and clipped the back end of a car coming the other way. However, the truth is I was lucky. I had the experience to realise very early that I'd got it wrong and was able to make evasive manoeuvres. If I had been as green as I was when I had first passed my test I would have ploughed head first into the front of that car and I'd have been dead. So I'm glad to hear you're not following the increasing trend (often as you suggest due to instructors encouraging people to take the more expensive DAS courses) of going the DAS route and I am sure you will have many, many more happy miles aboard your little GN.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 06/07/2009 12:42  

Nothing happening with baby just now Karey,Emzeds coming over to take a look as soon as Dukes sorted.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/07/2009 12:45  

awww ok Cass, hope you're back on the road soon, and Em hope you get the Duke back on track asap.

Update Reply
Karey @ 06/07/2009 12:46  

Good for you Moonstone, I'm in total agreement with Geoff, and many others, there's no substitute for experience gained by time spent on the road.

Update Reply
Dragon13 @ 06/07/2009 18:16  

Lin really loved reading your post Wheelienice told me you were on holiday on your bike when I saw her on Wednesday, I think you have made the right choice, like I said before it was the route I took and really had lots of fun out on my 125 and even when I took my125 test having a restricted bike was no big issue. Also isn't it nice when you have good supportive company to ride out with. I went out on my new bike Sunday and welcomed the support and constructive advice I was given. I don't anyone ever stops learning.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 06/07/2009 20:38  

Nice one Lin

Next time you find yourself Essex way, give us a shout... or extend your trip across the river into Kent - no toll fees for bikes

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 06/07/2009 20:51  

Thanks all for your comments. I just wanted to say to other learners out there that there is no rush and once you do gain confidence how wonderful it is to be in control of your own bike. So don't give up!!
CG I know how you loved riding restricted and it is because of you that I intend on doing my 125 and possibly take Geoffs advice of taking the DAS after getting used to a bigger bike once i have one restricted. Thats the future plan anyhow.

The GN was great round the roads but was slow at the top end. I found myself riding in 4th gear mainly and occasionally slipping into the red so yes it did get thrashed losing momentum on hills and changing to 5th gear. I managed a 65/66 mph speeds in fourth and on full throttle.. so really do need something that keeps up with traffic on hills and manage to keep going im 5th . I think 5th must be an overdrive rather than a power gear.

Hey Wannabe I would love to catch up with you sometime I will let you know when I am spending a few days in the south next time.x.

Update Reply
moonstone @ 07/07/2009 09:38  

Errrm... I'm always up to 5th on straight run..and allways in the red.. lol

Update Reply
Karey @ 07/07/2009 09:45  

I'm always in the red too *ahem*

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/07/2009 10:26  

lol @ Lou,..thats wot i mean.. ont bike anorl

Update Reply
Karey @ 07/07/2009 10:27  

LOL your not on your own .... but my bike slows down in 5th...so have to thrash it in 4th in the red. does that mean a bigger bike will get me in the black??? now theres wishful thinking

Update Reply
moonstone @ 08/07/2009 11:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email