MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

L Plates, learners and tests

L Plates, learners and tests (4) - Forums [Biker Match] L Plates, learners and tests (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

L Plates, learners and tests

Totally agree with whats been said already re gaining real road experiance and not being in a hurry to move up.I bought the same make/model as used where i did my cbt.Huge difference in confidence.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/03/2009 14:27  

Thanks so much Puds I need a hugg. LOl Feeling a little sickened today as to how I let those nerves take over. It wasnt just the test that was below my standard that I had acheived, it was the lesson before too. I know its nerves. Cassy I am not too comfy on the bike I use at the school getting on and off as my short arse legs wont fly too easily over the raised part of the pillion seat and my knees dont bent to get them over the riders seat. I will be looking at small in height 125cc Bike(thats not a cruiser) but I only have a low budget. Geoff Thanks for pointing out Roachys' 125cc for sale it looks a lovely bike and a good bargain but unfortunately my finances wont stretch to that all I have is about £600 to spend so its well out my league. Thanks for the offer of running it about for me as well its really kind of you.x

Update Reply
moonstone @ 27/03/2009 17:40  

In fact the bike i need is a replica of myself old, reliable, short, goes well for the age, has a few blemishes, has the odd leak, is easy to handle and in need of some TLC but shows respect. Rofl

Update Reply
moonstone @ 27/03/2009 17:44  

Not good if your not comfortable on the bike you use moonstone,you'll prob get on a lot better if you find a bike you are comfy with then take lessons on that. with your budget i would look seriously at chinese bikes.They don't have a great reputation but they have improved drastically over the last year or so.A really good place to start is the chinese bike forum,has loads of reviews and advice on it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/03/2009 23:59  

£600 will get you just what you're looking for. Make sure you try out a good few and dont be put off by the odd blemish! People are so "critical" these days of anything not quite pristine. (not suggesting you are) But get something you can handle easily, regardless of looks it makes the whole thing much easier and less stressfull if "you" own the bike. Dont worry about the make or model so much as its suitability for your purposes. Best of luck, keep up the positive thinking. Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/03/2009 01:30  

Thanks Em and all for their advice, thoughts, support and ideas. I will let you know what I decide. In the meantime anyone else having trouble passing their test? or am i all alone? come on add your worries too, it really does help. I am so glad I posted this thread

Update Reply
moonstone @ 30/03/2009 21:26  

Has any BM member sat or rather rode the new test yet? I decided as you know to get a 125 to tootle around on and am pleased to say I did a few miles... Not as many as Bikerchick 1966! but i did top up 40 miles as my first real ride out away from the industrial estate. I am feeling dead chufffed. I had a wobberley start from redditch to Halfords in the town to purchase one or two bits for my new toy bless her. Then continued to Henley in Arden where an Ice Cream just had to be consumed... Made me feel so good sat there with my bike keys jingling in my hand. From there we wenty to The Arrow Mill a regular sunday bikers meeting place in a village called Arrow near Alcester. I was a little dissapointed as there were only about half a dozen bikes there and it seems most of those had travelled a fair distance to get there. but a pinapple and lemonade went down well. Finally we rode to Portway where we had a meal and met up with Tanzant and Wheelienice a steady ride home and I was feeling far more confident than when I started out. I even managed to tackle getting the bike from my house to the road and back which is a feat in itself. Thanks again Cataraptor for your support and thanks still to all my lovely friends on here for your support too. Lin xxx

Update Reply
moonstone @ 11/05/2009 22:35  

Wow that is fantastic Lin, me and tracey will be over real soon for a girlie pootle. I won't be at the R & C on wednesday its Rospa night so sorry no Bailey's cheesecake this week. Gosh the Arrow mill brings back some younger day memories used to go there in my courting days.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 11/05/2009 23:16  

To be honest Moonstone the thought of this new test scares me, with all the new elements in it. Picking up the bike, the swerve test - which people have been injured trying to do. My bike school has gone from a 97% pass rate to a way down the scale, also a lot of biking organizations think the test is really dangerous and outrageously difficult and expensive. I think I will be on "L" plates for a long time.
But what really annoys me about this, is that we are being penalised for using a form of transport which is eco friendly, does not cause congestion - just so some a*****hole can sit in a metal box, eating, drinking, listening to music, talking on their mobile and not taking any notice at all of what they are doing!!!

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant lol - but it is unfair!!!

Update Reply
Jansky1960 @ 12/05/2009 08:39  

Thanks CG would be good to go for a tootle with you and Drob sometime soon. Yes Arrow Mill is a lovely setting shame it seems to have lost its usual large crowd of bikers on a Sunday there. Hi Jansky, I know what you mean with frustrating money making polititions that havent got a clue. I know many bike activists and organisations are saying that the roads will be soon full of well experienced learner bikers. No one including me feels much like taking this new dangerous and unfair test. Will the rules be changed for car drivers too ? will they be subjected to more ridged scrutiny when doing there emergency manouvers? Failing to do the swerve or was it the emergency stop in 31mph ( in excess of the main 30mph speed limit) measured conditions by just 1 kph which as we know is less that 1mph is ludicrous. Having us ride on tarmac not long laid and in the wet is darn right stupid. They have had something like 10 plus years to get their act together. This is European laws and politicians gone mad bringing in tests that do not fit in with our British road system. The next thing will be an increase to tax on 125 machines because they will be the bikes rode continuously by a lot of us that dont want to take the test. The underlying plan I personally think is to get bikes off the roads altogether!!! They will have an almighty long battle on their hands if this is the case. See now I am having a rant! LOL.

Update Reply
moonstone @ 12/05/2009 23:21  

Feel free to rant away lol. Glad you are getting on so well and enjoying it. I really do luv my bike :D

Update Reply
Jansky1960 @ 13/05/2009 08:22  

My other half is doing a "DAS" course at the moment, and has her test soon... She's been practicing the manouvers today, and didn't have a problem (please bear in mind that she's been riding a bike for 12 HOURS only). If you've got a 125, and you're getting lots of street practice, then I believe that although the test has its bad points* you'll be in a good position to take, and pass the test, as you're getting real life experience. * The biggest issue from what I've heard, and read, is the "over 50kph(31mph)" rule. Even the docs - that my other half has been given - say that you've really got to "rag" a 125 in 2nd gear to manage to get through the speed trap fast enough. However, they then say it's acceptable to start to slow down after you've passed the speed trap, as you are entering the "Hazard zone" at that point, and you'd probably already be slowing down if you were wary of something happening.

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 18/05/2009 21:21  

Thats good news and encouraging too. It sounds as if your other half is doing well. That is something I am concerned about getting to the right speed. It would be such a pig to fail cos you wern't going fast enough like the person at Rotheram failing for being 1km under speed. I must admit I am in no hurry to pass now I want to get it right next time. Too expensive to keep failing! and dont do the ego much good either! I will be having a couple of lessons again before taking it but will be looking at changing schools. Good luck to the other half and let us know how she does Lin

Update Reply
moonstone @ 18/05/2009 21:38  

My other half is doing a "DAS" course at the moment, and has her test soon... She's been practicing the manouvers today, and didn't have a problem (please bear in mind that she's been riding a bike for 12 HOURS only). I think it's fair to say though that most of us aren't naturals like Michelle and find ourselves with a number of obstacles (leg length, physical strength, confidence, finances, previous road experience etc) to overcome on the road to biking and our licences in particualar. That aside, sounds like Michelle is doing really well and big congratulations to her. Look forward to hearing she's passed.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 19/05/2009 08:55  

Cant agree with you more Rach...Ive waited 25yrs...for this and Im enjoying every minute...Its amazing Ive been round bikes all my life...but have never ever been encouraged to ride myself! My hubby wouldnt allow me to.... Mind you he did me a favour...Ive more common sense, hazard perception and awareness than I did when I was younger...I love speed as you could tell on Sunday!!! I have no fear....so if I had done this when I was younger I probably wouldnt have been here...at least Ive the common sense to ride properly now... I could have done my DAS straight after as planned and booked but I took my Instructors advise...and get even more experience so that I dont fail the new test...they are really picky..they also know as a widow with three girls to look after I havent got the money to throw away...going in to see them later in the week..I know they are proud of me.. I dropped in on an East Midland Biking friend last night and they didnt know...so they was over the moon for me and again they think Im being sensible having me Mini V for a couple of months before taking my DAS and full test.. Im behind every one that wants to ride...I would like all three of my girls to not only drive a car but to ride a bike too...hope they do...I wont be like my parents and not allow bikes... KEEP ON BIKING! RIDE SAFE!!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 19/05/2009 13:38  

"I'm behind everyone that wants to ride .." You need to go faster then Rose lol!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 19/05/2009 14:08  

Tell me about it Geoff its like flogging a dead horse...Im used to speed..so roll on me test and getting something with UMMMPHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH In the meantime, can you give me a tow please?

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 19/05/2009 14:13  

Hey Geoff, she dont need encouraging

Update Reply
Emzed @ 19/05/2009 14:14  

Or better still Geoff..do they do special catapaults for Mini Vs?????

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 19/05/2009 14:14  

No you are right Em I dont...the first time out alone I only had ridden Mini V a mile and I was straight onto the A38 head down and disappointed with the restrictors but got straight up to 70 in seconds!!!!! Ickle mate Ian was gob smacked...he drove me car back for me and said "Blooming heck you dont hang about!!"...well you cant can you?????? He was surprised how well I rode straight away!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 19/05/2009 14:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email