MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Wind noise and intercoms, how bad?

Wind noise and intercoms, how bad? - Forums [Biker Match] Wind noise and intercoms, how bad? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Wind noise and intercoms, how bad?

Was looking at getting a Scala Q2 setup, but kinda mixed reports of wind noise probs. Have heard that you can get a collar thing that attached to your helmet, to reduce it, but again, mixed reports of good and bad. Wana do bike to bike, any recomendations?

Update Reply
Newkid @ 24/03/2009 14:34  

CB radio ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/03/2009 16:01  

Autocom or Starcom - they're probably the best two. Both have noise cancelling and microphone/earphone auto adjusting facilities. I've had both (currently got an Autocom after the Starcom started to play up) and I could offer positives and negatives for both, but in the end they'd both do the trick. As far as wind noise is concerned the Autocom seems a little more temperamental ... better than the Starcom once set up properly, but can take a couple of attempts to do so. I have fitted a chin curtain to my Shoei as I was getting false activation of the vox regardless of setting. This seems to have sorted the issue except that my other half not gets false activation and we are probably going to have to therefore get her something similar. We use it for rider to pillion and for bike to bike using Kenwood radios and both set ups work very well ... not cheap, but good.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 24/03/2009 16:03  

NewKid speak to Meza he has an intercom system on his bike (I think...) I know he is havigng problems with the internet on his laptop at the moment but sure he will be happy to explain which system has got once back on line.

Update Reply
Puds @ 24/03/2009 16:05  

I bought an Autocom and use a flip helmet so far so good clear hearing and can hold conversation with no wind noise at 70mph

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 24/03/2009 17:28  

got interphone blue tooth set up bike to bike good at over the legal limit, the higher one lol

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 24/03/2009 18:56  

Newkid - I think this is what you are after (also posted in Helmets thread): www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windjammer/helmet-wind-blocker.htm I use the Interphone set up too, with both types of mics in two different helmets and have fantastic audio with both phone calls and GPS instructions.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 24/03/2009 19:19  

AUTOCOM can't beat them. I use one for bike to bike and bike to ambulance control. so it gets my vote.

Update Reply
Phil @ 24/03/2009 22:19  

Shame about the four miles of wires though!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 24/03/2009 22:55  

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 24/03/2009 23:33  

I never, never, never, never, never, never exaggerate.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 24/03/2009 23:36  

^^^ pair of dipsticks

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/03/2009 10:43  

LOL, could get worse, bean cans and a bit of string!! Hmm.. so far Autocom's getting the vote. According to one review the sound quality and volume blows the Scala away, need vol with ear plugs. Apparently it says Autocoms low volume is Scalas max!! Know ya wouldnt cut corners PP.

Update Reply
Newkid @ 25/03/2009 11:29  

Thanks XK - love you too! Newkid (Steve is it?) I've got a kenwood radio and use a portable kit but this is only good for bike to bike and not rider to pillion. I've got an autocom headset so I can plug into anyone with a duo kit and for when I'm ready to upgrade to a kit myself. The portable kit comes with a couple of leads plus the headset, one to the headset and a push to talk but I'm finding the vox on the radio is working just fine. The kit is £91 from Chainspeed.com who I can highly recommend for autocom stuff. Sam is very helpful and knowledgable. This isn't any use for phones or GPS though. For bike to bike you will need a radio and the kenwoods are the best but others will do the same job. I'd go the autocom route really, only reason I didn't is there isn't room for one on a 125.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 25/03/2009 11:47  

Cheers Roachy, and you were close, its Stu. I do have 4X PMR radios, 2X BT and 2X Maxon, but they all work together. Was looking more at Bluetooth so as to work with GPS, that way dont have to take my eyes off the road. Also do long trips, so be handy to know if someones trying to call.

Update Reply
Newkid @ 25/03/2009 11:57  

Newkid - that is exactly how I use my Interphone Bluetooth unit. Works perfectly with Sat Nav too - I keep the main unit in a tank bag or in a transparent waterproof forearm mounted bag and pair the unit with the headset. Bought mine about 16 months ago from motocomp.com and am very impressed. Also easy to swap between different helmets

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 25/03/2009 12:29  

Ooops, sorry...must pay more attention when meeting people! This is were the autocom starts getting expensive...you can get a bluetooth dongle (but that's another £70 odd) that goes into the kit for your phone or I think you can bluetooth the phone to your GPS and wire that to the autocom. TC...how does your set up work with other bikes?

Update Reply
Roachy @ 25/03/2009 12:42  

Roachy - for bike-to-bike both riders need an Interphone unit each and then you just pair them via Bluetooth (but when two units are paired, only one rider can still use the hands-free telephone facility but I don't see this being a problem). My brother is coming up to ride with me a little over Easter and he has the same unit as me, so I can give you some proper feedback after then. Two things to bear in mind when choosing any Bluetooth unit though: a) make sure your phone has a voice dialling and answer facility (most Samsungs do not) b) I still try to use my phone as little as possible as it really does affect your concentration when riding

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 25/03/2009 12:50  

As said, at least know someone's trying to get me, shame to get all the way to Plymouth and find things have been cancelled, . Got some plug in earphones for music, but don't use them riding normal roads and motorway's the wind noise wrecks it anyway. The comms is more for "I need fuel, Hold tight, overtaking or where ya gone?"

Update Reply
Newkid @ 25/03/2009 13:50  

Ohh, and "Your winkies still on!"

Update Reply
Newkid @ 25/03/2009 13:51  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email