MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Brain picking time!

Brain picking time! - Forums [Biker Match] Brain picking time! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Brain picking time!

i'm about 11 years out of touch with learner rules and regs. A relative of mine wants to ride a 125 scoot to work. He is 60 and passed his car test 35 years ago. he has always had M/C entitlement on his licence. My question is: does he have to sit a CBT or does he have grandad rights?

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 22/03/2009 23:20  

As far as I know he goes straight to the part 2 test, as his provisional entitlement does not expire till he's 70! This is the same rule for me as my car provisional alongside my full bike gets me straight to the test centre I dont think I have to sit the theory exam? anyone clarify?

Update Reply
Emzed @ 22/03/2009 23:26  

Does he have full category A or just provisional? My understanding is those that passed their car test before 2001 have full moped entitlement upto 50cc, for up to a 125cc you need a CBT. If passed post 2001, everyone needs a CBT. If however he passed his test at a time when (if) full catagory A is given automatically (is that what's happened?) then I wouldn't have thought he needs anything although it would be recomended if never been on the road on 2 wheels before. I had a full car license with provsional cat A (and full 500cc entitlement) but I still had to sit a theory test for my A2 test and I *think* even if I'd taken a more recent car test with car theory, I'd still have to take the bike theory one. That's my understanding anyway and probably doesn't help one jot!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 23/03/2009 00:16  

I shall try and find out at work today GH

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 23/03/2009 05:41  

Thanks DC, I thought he did not have too. his entitlement is only provisional and he has no intention of doing his test. I can remember having permenant provisional status on my car license because I passed my car test before the CBT came in, IE I could ride on L plates with no time limit.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 23/03/2009 07:09  

u always need a CBT with a provissional, even for <125cc i think

Update Reply
Matt @ 23/03/2009 07:11  

I've only ever seen pre and post 2001 on any website including DSA etc so if he has provisional A entitlement and wants to ride a 125cc scooter he'll need a CBT to validate that entitlement. This will allow him to ride on L plates, not carry a pillion or use motorways etc etc. Valid for 2 years and then he'll need to repeat it to stay on the road. Everyone (who doesn't have a full motorcycle licence! grrrr @ Geoff! ) needs a CBT for over 50cc and under 125cc.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 23/03/2009 07:56  

I don't!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 23/03/2009 07:58  

I had a full car license with provsional cat A (and full 500cc entitlement) Oooooh...I wish!! Wishful thinking or a typo?

Update Reply
Roachy @ 23/03/2009 07:58  

i think roachy is right as far as i've been told " in order to put a scooter /motorcycle under 125cc on the road we now have to complete the cbt "

Update Reply
nina @ 23/03/2009 08:13  

I've spoken with a mate of mine and he says that yes a CBT is required regardless of when you passed your driving test for a 125cc. Your licence must be a typo Geoff. When you check someones licence on PNC then it says whether or not you have passed the CBT and exactly what entitlements/endorsements/points/bans etc you have/had. To chance it without doing a CBT would be daft, after all its only £90 and a day out. Hope this helps

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 23/03/2009 19:30  

Cheers for confirming the info DC. I think Geoff was just being a smartarse regarding my *anyone who wants to ride over 50 up to 125 needs a CBT* when in fact I meant anyone who hasn't already passed their full motorcycle test! Shall I hold him whilst you kick his oh so smart arse?

Update Reply
Roachy @ 23/03/2009 19:39  

Would be a pleasure!

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 23/03/2009 19:49  

Cheers DC thats cleared it up.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 23/03/2009 22:44  

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers.aspx http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/index.htm

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/03/2009 09:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email