MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Have you got your lights on?

Have you got your lights on? (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Have you got your lights on? (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Have you got your lights on?

a black BMW came out of a tree tunnell yesterday wiv no light's i'm sure i would have noticed him earlier if he'd had ligh'ts on! and of course now that the sun's shinin the short's an t shirt brigade are about! sport bike overtook me no gloves camo cut off's an trainer's and a hoody!! aaannnnddddd cruiser rider's who jus wear sunglasses are askin for it when a insect get's em in the face and get's under the glasses!! i wear open face but with a clear snap on visor an scarf[i know open face is not as good as full but i get so claustrophobic an hot in em if i had to wear them as law i'd pack in biking! [i dont mean naked wiv jus sunglasses julie!]

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 23/03/2009 09:13  

Julie...........don't worry i will come and switch your lights on. P xx

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 23/03/2009 09:27  

ello ello!! methink's somone has a crush on our Julie!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 23/03/2009 09:39  

I have always ridden with my lights on, even before owning a bike where you can't turn them off! However, I am a little dubious about their true advantage when it comes to being seen in a similar way to my view on loud pipes improving the chances of you being heard. Yes, they definitely help, but I am of the view that if someone is going to pull out on you or move across your path, it is because they are not paying appropriate attention, daydreaming, chatting on the phone or worse, under the influence. I have been pulled out in front of more times than I care to remember despite riding big brightly coloured bikes, with the headlights always on and a number of times whilst wearing a high vis vest or jacket. A copper friend of mine has even been knocked off his bike by someone pulling out in front of him whilst he was on a call, ie on his high vis Police bike, with a high vis jacket, white helmet and with blues and twos!! Anyone who believes that having your lights on means you're much more likely to be seen by Mr Daydreamer or that having a loud pipe is going to improve your chances of being heard by the young lass singing along to very loud music inside her heavily soundproofed car, needs to stop and think.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 23/03/2009 10:42  

added together with being alert mus improve the odd's but as you say ther's alway's the unexpected so be alert at all times stop for that coffee dont be pig headed an ride on or try an bully or race a car cos you lose every time!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 23/03/2009 10:48  

i do notice more cars pullin over when filtering with me loud'pipes' on than when the std factory ones were on! but as you say you cant jus rely on that!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 23/03/2009 10:51  

me too TM... and my pipes have helped me avoid a couple of tricky situations when it is quicker to blip my throttle a couple of times instead of trying to find my horn button with my gloved thumb and sound the puny little thing. (The poor foreign couple that looked the other way and walked out in front of me almost jumped so high I could have ridden under them!) But as everybody knows, at the end of the day you only need one thing to be turned on when you ride that WILL save your life - your brain. (ok... and your engine... and definitely your lights if it is dark.... sheesh - you know what I am trying to say!!)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 23/03/2009 11:07  

Light on is the way to go, as you both say you must improve your chances to be seen as much as possible. but you also have to exspect the unexspected and leave some room for erro. both for the car driver and your self. this did not happen last thursday when i was on the A59 clitheroe, a gsxr came past me, no gloves a little bomber jacket with trainers on. i was over the speed limit, he took me then carried on on the out side of a bend taking over a ford focus. he got away with it but how long for?

Update Reply
kenn52 @ 23/03/2009 11:14  

Hey Ken52 if you know that guy on the GSXR I would suggest you don't buy him a long playing record or book for Easter! Peter

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 23/03/2009 16:06  

just what i thought!

Update Reply
kenn52 @ 23/03/2009 19:07  

I should have demonstrated one of my sovenirs from India on Sunday, amongst other things I brought back a 135 Db horn. It frightened the life out of me when I tested it in the garage as it is well over the threshold for physical pain. I can foresee a problem with it as when I use it car drivers will be so busy looking for the HGV they may not notice the bike.

Update Reply
prof @ 23/03/2009 20:03  

i want one!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 23/03/2009 20:04  

Type in "train horn" on YouTube....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 23/03/2009 20:34  

Was thinkin of putting a HID kit on mine, 4X brighter than your typical halogen, lasts lots longer life span, which is just as well, bulbs are about £70-80. The thing is, from the edge of the beam ya get a flash of blue, which immediately grabs attention, wonder why, . Know ya said about the bill getting knocked of his, but gota improve your chances!

Update Reply
Newkid @ 23/03/2009 20:47  

Also bros says cars shift over, got em on his car.

Update Reply
Newkid @ 23/03/2009 20:49  

is that wot some car's got i think there flashin me an they have ablue edge when they come from behind i think wot the f... they flashin at but they aint!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 23/03/2009 20:58  

Dem's the ones, good arn't they. On a bike with one bulb figured could do with all the help I can get.

Update Reply
Newkid @ 23/03/2009 21:24  

Be careful with those lights my mate has a Honda Pan put the new lights in, all well, went for MOT and Failed on lights!! "not as fitted by manufacturer",

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 23/03/2009 21:24  

then fit the old one's dear lliza dear liza fit the old one's dear liza for the old mot!!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 23/03/2009 21:27  

Ooh well reminded! Must refit baffle for thursday

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 23/03/2009 21:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email