MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Have you got your lights on?

Have you got your lights on? - Forums [Biker Match] Have you got your lights on? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Have you got your lights on?

It has become apparent that the Goverment and local councils are doing a lot more to promote "Bike Awareness" with that TV advert which still makes me jump no matter how many times I see it! and in my area Manchester/Cheshire lots of buses and street furniture lamp posts etc have good clear sign for "Bike Awareness". It is also up to us to do our bit, I like many of our biker buddies were out last weekend and I was amazed at how many of you still ride with NO lights! Please if you are going out with freinds on your bikes this weekend be sure to put your dipped headlights on....BE SEEN BE SAFE....pass it on.....YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE. Peter

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 20/03/2009 10:37  

Hi Peter, good point! I was driving home from work yesterday, and I had my dipped lights on in the car, but there was a honda behind me, dark red, dark clothing, no lights on. I had seen him coming up from a little way behind, as being a biker myself i am constantly looking out for bikes anyway, but I'm sure lots of cars didn't even know he was there, until he was sat on their back bumper! It's easier to spot a biker in your mirrors with their headlight on, especially when you only have a quick glance... so PLEASE PUT YOUR LIGHTS ON!

Update Reply
Karey @ 20/03/2009 10:53  

here in holland - every car driver drives with headlights on even on the brightest summer day.... so u just blend in with them, its crap lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 20/03/2009 11:29  

Lights help, but do NOT assume visability. Fact - 1 in 4 motorists would fail the driving test standard eyesight requirement.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/03/2009 11:36  

Too right XK! Its long been a "soapbox" issue for me. Did you know a few years ago a motoring organisation conducted a random test at the entrance to the show. Given that at least 50% of them were drivers the shocking fact was that a very high percentage (I think it was around the70 mark) actually failed the standard MOT test!! I think it should be madatory to have an on the spot eye test at the scene of an acccident involving a bike! Cos in all probability, when they utter the imortal words; "sorry mate I didn't see you" they are quite likely to be telling the truth I'm off,got to try an sort Duke for Sun Have a nice day folks Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 20/03/2009 12:22  

Fact...XK is a blind barsteward unless its a £10 note 300 yards away.............

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 20/03/2009 12:45  

As a note of interest, all vehicles on our proving ground MUST run with headlamps on or a beacon.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 20/03/2009 12:46  

I personally don't have a problem with cars having lights on during the day... helps sometimes with the shadows on the lanes. If I see I light, I know its gonna sting if it hits me, be it car or motorbike.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/03/2009 13:07  

good point about shadow's from tree's if i enter a 'tunnell'of tree's on a sunny day in a car i'll put lights on!its the law in Iceland to have car lights on all the time,on the bike i'll have full beam sometimes to be brighter than everyone else!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 20/03/2009 13:27  

TM brighter than everyone else? I don't think so! And Ghostie, I'd slap yer legs, but I know you'd enjoy it too much!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/03/2009 14:45  

my light's are dim i cannot see!! altogether now!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 20/03/2009 15:38  

Did you leave your specs in the WC?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/03/2009 15:50  

there was TC,TC typin on his PC in the stores in the store's!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 20/03/2009 15:54  

There was TC,TC typin on his PC, In the Tangomansixty's stores!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/03/2009 16:15  

Thanks for the sing song chaps!! great memories....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/03/2009 16:32  

Good point Karey, I am amazed our freind in the land of daffodils thinks its crap, to get teecee, ghosthunter, emzed, tangoman , all who seem to be the backbone of this site and obviously well travelled all to agree we must be on the right point. I would suggest holland must have a lot of dual carriageways but to drive round the Manchester area on a wet grey day Matt I think you would soon become a claimant on your Insurance policy. I have been Biking for over 30 years and have lost count how many times I have gone to the aid of a biker who has had an accident with a car only for the driver to say, "I just Didn't see him" 90% of these accidents the rider had no lights on. It cost nothing to do and will give you, your loved ones, or even more important your bike more of a chance to get home safely......Listen to the Brits Matt........PUT YOUR LIGHTS ON.....you know it makes sense, Peter

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 20/03/2009 16:35  

Hi Peter. I think with the amount of touring Matt (from the land of tulips) has done he does ride with his lights on. I think the point he was trying to make is that because all the cars have daylight running lights on in Holland there is no distinction between cars and bikes and he was saying that the fact that he blends in "is crap".

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/03/2009 20:14  

I must declare an interest,(as earlier post) but unless the weather is dull or grey, I dont run with lights on during the day. I find that a quick flash with the headlamp attracts more attention than a constant light. I've ridden about a fair bit now and I know what I do has contributed to keeping me alive. 1- treat everyone else out there as a potential hazard with your destruction/impairment as they're avowed mission in life. 2 - always try to see the drivers face in their mirror. 3 - never assume anything it only makes an ass of u and me! Ride safe ride free Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 20/03/2009 21:28  

Surely a quick flash of your light could be misconstrued (wrongly) that you are letting someone out, there must be many occasions where you have passed a vehicle sat a junction to your left waiting to turn right where you would definately not flash to make him aware of your presence as this could be misleading, my point is you would be visible from a greater distance if you had dipped beam permantly on. It is not compulsory to have lights on a bike in fact I believe you don't even have to have any lights on the rear of your bike before lighting up time but i am sure you would want your brake lights in good working order, i agree with you emzed to treat all other road users as a hazard and i am sure it is with age you hone your anticipation skills to a higher level............safe biking bud' Peter

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 20/03/2009 21:48  

You can get a daylight MOT but I am sure you still need brake lights (and a horn).

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/03/2009 21:53  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email