MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Just got stopped by the old bill !!!

Just got stopped by the old bill !!! - Forums [Biker Match] Just got stopped by the old bill !!! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Just got stopped by the old bill !!!

just got back in from what was a nice days ride on the way back got stopped because of my light covers there clear red he said . it went like this old bill "hello sir do you know your light covers are illegal " me " no why ive had them for near on a year and not been stopped for them . old bill " because you can't have clear red light covers " me "im training to be an instructor and nothing has been said " old bill "one moment i will call to find out as im not sure " ten + mins later after him messing about over the radio . old bill "yes it's an offence to have red light covers you can only have clear of yellow " it's a £30 fine me "but it's in day light what is the problem if it's in day light ? " next question went even silly from old bill "do you ride at night with them on ? " me " no " so please can someone shed some light on this as at the mo it's not just my light covers that are seeing red.

Update Reply
dabnis @ 15/03/2009 16:37  

Copper was right if you had your lights turned on. You are only ment to have white or yellow. If you had your lights turned off then it is ok. Was stopped years back for purple cover. He told me it red. I told him he needed his eyes testing as It was Purple. He then bored me for ten mins on road safety before Getting on his bike and cutting up a car as he pulled out with his nearside indicator still on. It was £20 back then well worth it for the wind up

Update Reply
micksaway @ 15/03/2009 21:16  

Its illegal apart from yellow or white. We also did tests on coloured headlight covers at work, some were found to induce eppileptic fits if you suffer from that condition. plus we found they severly reduced the effectiveness of your headlamp during the day.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 15/03/2009 21:31  

Good bit of info there Ghostie

Update Reply
old red @ 15/03/2009 21:59  

good job he rushed off without giving me a ticket then . he was on speed camera on his own when a merc went flying by . he said to me as he rushed off take them off please sir . thanks for the info too . p.s anyone want to buy some red light covers for an R1

Update Reply
dabnis @ 15/03/2009 22:09  

Never heard of the eppileptic fits Ghosty. What is it about the different color lights that triggers it. You learn loads of stuff on here you would never have even thought of. I find even a clear cover reduces the effectiveness of my light at night

Update Reply
micksaway @ 15/03/2009 22:34  

Yes mick, All headlights flicker and pulse slightly as you travel (bumps etc) White light is the most natural (apart from daylight) Although some white strobes can set off fits too. Coloured lights seemed to induce fits quicker, wether its down to frequency I can't say as I'm no expert on the condition. A yellow tint to a visor can help riding in the dark or rain though because it cuts the glare. I used to drive all day with yellow tinted glasses, they made natural light brighter but reduced headlight glare etc. Your clear cover acts as a second lense Mick and can indeed reduce both penetration (ooer) and light pattern. You will notice that in general people that wear glasses will have a harder time driving at night too, you get a glare from the windscreen and a secondary glare from the glasses.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 16/03/2009 18:56  

Thanks for that Ghosty I used to have yellow goggles when i was on the Tanks Long time ago

Update Reply
micksaway @ 16/03/2009 23:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email