MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

frozen exhaust stud

frozen exhaust stud - Forums [Biker Match] frozen exhaust stud - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

frozen exhaust stud

I have a exhaust stub stuck in a bike and looking for suggestions for its removal, leaving hacksawing it off and drilling it out as a last resort. Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Update Reply
tamaz @ 14/02/2009 19:33  

Hi Tamaz. If there is any thread at all left on it you could screw two nuts down on to it until they are locked against each other and then try a socket and big lever on it. Another option even if there is no thread but depending on a lot of other things, is to weld a nut onto the stud and once again use a socket and large lever. Good luck!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 14/02/2009 21:40  

just be careful with your two nuts and big lever, i think that there could be health and safety issues

Update Reply
julie j @ 15/02/2009 01:10  

Ooo err missus!!

Seriously, I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and I used a stud puller, one of those things that grips the stud all around and can be undone with an ordinary ratchet drive. The studs came out easy-peasy.
TC's welding method is also a tried and tested one. Just let everything cool down and with a bit of luck the heat will have helped anyway. Goes without saying that plenty of penetrating oil like plus gas the night before will have been applied!
Good luck.

Update Reply
Wills @ 15/02/2009 01:16  

oi Wills pls can i borrow your stud puller when you are done with it? I missed out on the free member offer.

Update Reply
julie j @ 15/02/2009 01:18  

Methinks the studs I want to pull and the studs you want to pull don't have too much in common But you're welcome to borrow my equipment any time Just return it in the condition in which you'd like to find it.

Update Reply
Wills @ 15/02/2009 01:24  

In the interests of politeness I'm saying nuffin! lol

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 15/02/2009 15:45  

Cool guys, i hadnt heard off a stud puller, i will try the two nuts idea first though, there are some threads on stub, if not enough i can always thread it. Failing that will get a stud puller.

Julie you ahve a dirty mind :P :)

Update Reply
tamaz @ 15/02/2009 17:44  

i know this sounds silly but put some coke a cola on it,it does work

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 15/02/2009 18:34  

Just heat it up. then lube it (phanar!!)...........WD40 should do the trick before taking any costly measures

Update Reply
GSXRJim @ 16/02/2009 15:57  

LOL diet or ordinary cola? Pepsi or coke? :)

Will gtive it a go though.

Thanks for suggestion Jim, was my first move, had used plus gas, works better than wd40, if you havent used it, give it a try, its fabby stuff, million and one uses.

Update Reply
tamaz @ 16/02/2009 21:06  

I'm a Plus Gas fan meself

Update Reply
Wills @ 16/02/2009 23:27  

mmmmmmmwd40!,,,,,,,,, lush

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/02/2009 23:33  

Well update on this.

Put coke on it.
Put Plusgas on it.
Got Stud Extractor.
Came out in 5 minutes.

Yeee haaa go team.

Thanks for guys for suggestions, stud extractor is what I knew there should be, basically like a drill head that you can attached a socket/spanner to. Didnt think they existed tho. Well worth 20 quid off anyones money.

Update Reply
tamaz @ 09/03/2009 22:08  

Julies of down the tool shop as we speak!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 09/03/2009 22:13  

And vinegar will work better at all of the above insofar as penetration......Fnarrr. Stud pullers are worth every penny....as are nut splitters. Julie, over to you.....

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 10/03/2009 09:21  

Stud pullers are worth every penny....as are nut splitters. agree wholeheartedly with that GH The hydraulic ones are most efficient in the right hands Julie but the application of HEAT! & LUBE often helps too! Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 10/03/2009 09:52  

I'm quite impressed that this didn't get far, far worse!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/03/2009 12:18  

Dunno, give it time

Update Reply
Wills @ 10/03/2009 13:28  

Just in case anybody thought this was over! I think what Julie wants is a 3 legged puller?

Update Reply
Emzed @ 10/03/2009 22:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email