MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Learner

Learner - Forums [Biker Match] Learner - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Learner

Hi everybody need help on How to learn to ride a bike
What i need and whos the best to go too for Lessons never rode before so completely new at this

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2009 18:19  

Hey Sweet. Have a look around on the internet for places that do CBT's (Compulsory Basic Training) near you. This is what you'll first need to get out on a bike. It's a full days training, doing carpark work & then finishes off with an hour or 2 on the road (if they feel that you're up to speed so to speak) Appx about £90-110 for the days training which includes bike hire. If you don't feel confident enough on the first day to get out on the road, then most places will do additional days training free of charge - although apparently some are now starting to charge a minimal charge for bike hire, so ask what the policy is. Alternatively ask around at local Bike shops, they either may do them or be able to recommend somewhere. They will provide helmets & waterproofs etc. This is your starter for 10. Once you've got your CBT, then there's diffferent options you can take - either a restricted test on a 125, which will restrict you to 33 BHP for 2 years. Or the Direct access, this is where you take your test on a 500 & once passed you can then ride what you like. Before you take your test though, you'll have to do your theory & hazard perception test - taken at the local DVLA test office. Again, if you loook round on the internet, there's loads of sites that will give you details etc. Hope this is a bit of insight for ya

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 04/01/2009 18:29  

wow eh lol
will definatly look into it think i will need more than one day tho haven't got a great deal of confidence allthough saying that i might just shock myself
Thanks Holmfirth xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2009 18:50  

just thought i`d mention,you can do a 3 day direct access course which includes your cbt on the first day,it costs about £350 but it means you can buy the bike you want straight away(subject to insurance) it`s ideal if you`re impatiant like me.the idea of having a big bike first off may seem daunting,but a bike will only go as fast as you make it go and i personally felt safer on 750 than a 125 ,everything just works better

Update Reply
blakbird @ 04/01/2009 19:03  

Know what you're saying there BB. However, I tried doing a 4 day direct access a number of years ago & it was just too much all in one go! I lost the plot with feet up U turns & spat me dummy out & lost any confidence I had...Mind you if they'll split the days up - ie not have to do them one after the other then that's another option. All depends on your confidence & how quickly you pick things up. Personally I'm now just doing the CBT (done that now) & then gonna get practice out on the road on me 125 & then go for the restricted test. I have heard it said aswell that if you ride a 125 for a while it makes overtaking easier when you do get a bigger bike - as in on a 125 you've gotta think about what you're doing & plan the overtake more (cos you aint got the acceleration) However, it's horses for courses - I'm sticking with the 125 route as I'm a shortarse mind you - depending on how much practice I get on me 125 & how confident I get with it, I may just go for direct access..

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 04/01/2009 19:17  

Thanks blakbird i just want a bike like now lol so im definatly hoping to have learnt to ride and own my own asap

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2009 19:17  

that`s why getting straight on a big bike first suited me,i`m a bloke ,thinking and planning don`t come easy lol

Update Reply
blakbird @ 04/01/2009 19:23  

pmsl @ BB

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 04/01/2009 19:27  

Im the same actually think later rather than sooner and knowing my luck with a big bike i would probably drop it on my toes first time or fall off it lol xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2009 19:30  

Sweet - any bike you get you're gonna drop it at some point - it's the law

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 04/01/2009 19:33  

Will keep that in mind HG and yeah probably will drop it, fall off it, and probably trip over it lol or forget i have one and where i parked it especially after doing a night shift xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2009 19:39  

my first time was stalling a zxr750 turning right out of a T junction .leaning over+engine stopping=falling down,right outside a busy pub in summer.thank god for hemets,didn`t bang my head,just meant no one could see my embarassment :-)

Update Reply
blakbird @ 04/01/2009 19:44  

Poor thing but as you said nobody could see you thats the main thing That dosnt happen to me it would have to be somthing i did which everbody saw cos thats what normally happens if its going to happen you can be sure it will be to me

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2009 19:56  

oh just one bit of advice,if you`re quite short and your given the option of a cruiser style bike for your test,they might be better to ride but they can be a lot harder to push around when they ask you to

Update Reply
blakbird @ 04/01/2009 19:58  

do you drive a car sweet?

Update Reply
blakbird @ 04/01/2009 20:03  

Nope dont drive anything at all had a few lessons but the person teaching gave up so starting from scratch

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2009 20:16  

well at least you don`t have any bad habits to get rid of(at least on the road lol)

Update Reply
blakbird @ 04/01/2009 20:19  

Blackbird, the pub is indeed the epicentre of falling off! dont think tha the drink is a factor at all , it`s just some freaky law of nature that provides the most approriate audience for any embarrassing moment! HFG, hows the new baby doing? def best to have your own 125 for practice as and when you want, dont think a lot of the boys can fully apprieciate the transition in terms if weight and bulk in going up from a 125 to a much bigger bike for us girlies, takes time and effort to get used to it but well worth it in the end so get out and practice as much as poss, i found that round town was best, lots of junctions and mini roundabouts etc!

Update Reply
julie j @ 05/01/2009 14:22  

Hi Sweet,just felt i needed to chip in at this point.I know this may be a wee bit controversial(not like me!!)but i'm actually oppposed to das.To me any new biker,regardless of age or sex needs the experiance that can only come with miles under the belt.Personally i think its ludicrous that anyone can spend 4/5 days on a bike then go and buy whatever their ego dictates and be set loose on the public highways.Strikes me as being akin to taking your test in a mini then hitting the road in a ferrari.As a point of interest,i wonder how many biking accidents involved das trained riders compared to those who have at least 12 months road experiance.I mean no offence to anyone,i was almost seduced by the das option myself,images of sunny days with a nice bonny 900 was a favourite daydream of mine,but in the end i decided 1/2 years of experiance to increase my chances of staying alive to enjoy a lifetimes biking was a very small price to pay.No matter how good an instuctor you have,he can only teach you what the weather and road conditions of your4/5 days allow,maybe 15/20% of what you really need to know if your lucky.Sorry folks,maybe i shoulda posted this under randem rants but we're all quick to dig at the inexperianced car dicks in their super charged killing machines,are we really any different?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/01/2009 15:18  

You bloody trouble maker you Cassie I'll have a word with the said party hon

Update Reply
Herne @ 05/01/2009 18:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email