MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Learner

Learner (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Learner (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Learner

Got to agree with Cassie.. I started off with a 175 in 1973, then passed test, had a 250, then a 500, then a 750, then a 900, and now a 1100. Gain the experiance and go up through the ranks and become a better and safer rider.. Was at a garage once, and a bloke had just bought a 750. Couldn't start the thing because he didn't know that with the side stand down stopped his starter from working. Simple mistakes causes accidents..

Update Reply
SP @ 05/01/2009 18:49  

i see your point cassie and i`m sure there are plenty of people who do a 3day course ,pass their test,get a big bike and think they can ride like rossi.the point i was trying to make to sweet is that i doesn`t matter how big your bike is,you control it,it`s attitude and ego that gets people killed,not the bike.the day i passed my test i picked up my vf750 from the garage and rode it the same as i would have ridden a 125,i`ve been riding over 8yrs now but still wouldn`t consider myself as a really good rider,i know my limits and ride accordingly(well most of the time:-) ).sorry sweet if we have hijacked your thread lol

Update Reply
blakbird @ 05/01/2009 20:08  

I have to agree with your last post Blackbird and also with cassie but then I think the reason I may be agreeing with Cassie is because us blokes like to think of women as the gentler sex so need to be weaned onto a bigger bike ...wow I'm treading on dangerous ground here..but like you Blackbird the bike only goes as fast as you want it to go if in control cos like you when I passed my test when the ark was on the pond I went straight onto a BMW Boxer 1000 cc and I am only a little weed and couldn't touch the floor but I never ever dropped that bike .

Update Reply
Herne @ 05/01/2009 20:28  

The statement i have just made, i stand by.. But i must agree also with Blakbird.. It is attitude and respect a person must have for a bike of any size. Respect the bike, and the bike will look after you as a rider... It's other idiots on the road, in all types of vehicles, including bikes that cause accidents..

Update Reply
SP @ 05/01/2009 20:36  

Agree totally with your comments Blakbird,tho i still believe most people only learn respect for their machine thru experiance.I still think das is a bad option,but hey,life would be pretty dull if we all thought the same

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/01/2009 20:55  

i wasn`t totally disagreeing with you,for some it is a bad option :-)

Update Reply
blakbird @ 05/01/2009 21:08  

I think we're mixing up DAS and intensive courses here. Learning and taking your test on an over 47 bhp bike does not have to be undertaken in 4 days. I've always regarded the best solution to be to complete CBT and ride around on a 125 for a few weeks while taking DAS training using a bike hired from a training school before taking the test.

When I was involved in lobbying for motorcyclists and fighting the 3rd EC Driving Licence Directive - which is considerably worse than the current shambles for the motorcycle test, we were calling for log book training for DAS to ensure that riders gained experience before taking the test. Instead we ended with three categories of motorcycle and testing/training between each category for 2012 onwards.

So, DAS isn't necessarily the issue while intensive training can be. I would add the caveat that riders passing DAS should use a bit of common sense and graduate to a 'sensible' all-rounder like a Bandit, Hornet, Faser, etc rather than going for ultimate 600 and 1000 supersports.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 06/01/2009 07:05  

dohhh i just typed a reet long message and lost it :o( so here goes again.... For me personally I am happy to stay on L plates on a 125 for a year or two.. I know people have told me I will be itching to get a bigger bike, but until i get some more experience, I am better off sticking to a smaller engine and not riding on motorways... I know I would want to open the throttle and 'have a blast' but my heart knows I really need the riding experience first. I have been driving for 25 yrs and have a lot of respect for other road users, but riding a bike is different and I feel I should learn it gradually ...and not take the bull by the horns ! Sweet.. Good Luck and get your CBT done asap Stella.. as soon as the better weather comes, hopefully we can get out and get some practice in !

Update Reply
Karey @ 06/01/2009 08:54  

Are there any height restrictions when riding a bigger cc bike?? or do you just have to be able to reach the floor when sat astride it?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2009 09:47  

no LC there is no height restriction on a bike..but common sense would tell you that u need to be able to put ya feet down safely when u stop to stop u falling over

Update Reply
meza95 @ 06/01/2009 10:22  

So you'll be ordering a brand new Triumph Tiger asap then littlelegs!

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 06/01/2009 14:13  

Well thanks for all the advice lol Its greatly appreciated and Hopfully i will get the ball rolling after i sort my provisional out
My actual dream has allways been to own a Pink Harley but i guess thats a dream but we all have them at some point
Think i will stick to what Cassie and Karey said tho smaller bike more experiance Life is more important than the size and speed of a motor bike xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2009 14:39  

Hey Sweet... if u want a pink Harley you go for it! You never know, if you save hard enuff! We've all gotta have dreams. Yeh life is so much more important, and thats exactly why I'm happy 'pootling' along for now...or i will be when the nasty icy/frosty weather goes away lol Theres a few of us that have been doing CBT's lately or gettin first bikes, so we know what you're going through.. go for it..get that provisional sorted!... i don't think you'll regret it. x

Update Reply
Karey @ 06/01/2009 14:53  

Cheers Karey
Most definatly need to save if i ever wanted a Pink Harley or a Lottery win at least....I suppose if i passed my test and got a 125 i could allways spray paint it Pink and call it a Harley lol would probably be hard trying to convince everybody that dosn't believe me they need glasses
But at least it wouldn't cost as much xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2009 15:01  

Yayyyy, thats a brilliant idea.. x

Update Reply
Karey @ 06/01/2009 15:19  

Stella.. as soon as the better weather comes, hopefully we can get out and get some practice in ! You two girls better had else I'll be knocking on your doors and dragging you out lol. As for you and a pink Harley Sweet....not a chance whilever you're with me girl....altho my mates keep saying the ZZR is pink lol which I must stress is not pink..is it Kaz lol

Update Reply
Herne @ 06/01/2009 18:10  

Excuse me???? Yes it is a bloody pink bike so there i have seen that picture you sent i bet you wasnt wearing your glasses lol xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2009 18:49  

You two girls better had else I'll be knocking on your doors and dragging you out lol. U 2 gals had better get better or else I'll be drewlin on yr knockers an draggin em out As if.... (sorry, shud av waited til past the watershed)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2009 18:59  

Slap your wrist Mr XKLYBR lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2009 19:16  

Shoulda waited.........period.........

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 06/01/2009 19:17  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email