MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Blitz (as in me) need some help and advice !!

Blitz (as in me) need some help and advice !! (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Blitz (as in me) need some help and advice !! (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Blitz (as in me) need some help and advice !!

Well said PaganPrince I think it's really important that learners and newbie riders stay within their capabilities and shouldn't feel pressured to keep up with the pack. It's easy to feel pressured when you're unsure of yourself, you're nervous & you don't want to hold everyone else up... but that's precisely when things can go very wrong indeed - you really don't need anything to add to your nerves. So stand up for yourself and insist on riding within your own capabilities and safety zone. One day Julie... one day... gotta get the bike funds back into a slightly healthier mode again and actually GET meself kitted out with 2 wheels first!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 02/09/2008 04:50  

This is a brilliant thread for someone who is hoping to get her CBT done and then maybe...who knows?? Please keep it going. Question: What about roadkill? I been a pillion on a variety of Bikes and always with highly experienced bikers who managed to swerve. Obviously it's best if you can swerve to avoid a carcass...or is it? And also anyone any wisdom as to how to be of help to a Biker who has little or even no experience riding with a Pillion?

Update Reply
Silvi @ 02/09/2008 05:12  

Go for it Silvi! You won't look back (well - you probably should, or they won't give you yer CBT certificate, but you know what I mean!) Got to be best to avoid a carcass - if it's a biggie, it could easily have you off and even if not, getting blood n guts on your tyres isn't going to help your grip any... Sorry to be so graphic... I don't know of course - it just seems a logical argument to me. Your last question - do you mean what can a pillion do to help an inexperienced rider? If so, I'd say most importantly, be aware - watch out for what's happening with the road ahead, so that you know when the bends are coming, the hazards such as potholes & whatnot... don't pre-empt the rider's movements, but be ready for them... don't just sit on the back looking pretty and admiring the scenery Don't fidget around - get yourself comfortable before setting off. (This has been a "do as I say, not as I do" Wannabe special statement - I'm dreadful for shifting about on the back!) Don't distract the rider. Try & give them as much space as possible i.e. don't squeeze 'em up against the petrol tank and don't develop a death grip around their waist! I'm not the greatest pillion in the world, that's for sure, but I have been out with a few folk over the years who are new to riding and the above seems to work OK. I'm sure some riders will come in with more useful advice for you

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 02/09/2008 05:42  

Note to self: smileys are NOT punctuation. D'oh! Did it again!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 02/09/2008 05:43  

Note to self: smileys are NOT punctuation. But they make for pretty posts!! Im a pretty good Pillion, even if i do say so myself!! There may be a chance that i could go for a ride with a brand spanking new rider and if I do i want to be of as much help as i can and i do not wnat her to have to worry about me....but thins is only maybe!

Update Reply
Silvi @ 02/09/2008 05:55  

The idea is Silvi that you read the road far enough ahead and spot the roadkill early enough to gently alter course rather than have to swerve. A lot of riders (and drivers) only really concentrate on the hundred yards in front of them. You must constantly be reading as far ahead as possible as well as scanning close and middle distance.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 02/09/2008 06:19  

yep heads up an look ahead try an read the rd the signs are there for us an they work !most accidents are at junctions an bends[so i bin told!]so dont be a pillock !! slow down! the red area with white stripes at junctions is not there for yu to overtake as a lot of bikers an cars think!! i look at drivers where possible to see whats goin on you can tell a lot by a persons body language if there concentratin on there drivin or not why are they shiftin about all the time! mums arguin with kids in the back couples or lads talkin an lookin to each other an not at the rd so i stay clear !!!even when stationary i look in the mirrors to see whos comin [an how fast an erratic!]up behind and whats he doin on the fkn phone!!has he seen me?i'm movin out the way! look at drivers at junctions are they lookin at yu? look at his wheels are they startin to turn?its bein alert stop an get coffee or a snooze when tired!dont rely on a mp3's music to keep yu awake![i know some who do this! there nuts!]

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 02/09/2008 10:11  

AND NEVER EVER EVER ASSUME THAT BECAUSE SOMEBODY ISN'T INDICATING, THAT THEY WON'T SUDDENLY VEER OFF IN FRONT OF YOU. IF THERE IS A JUNCTION ASSUME YOU ARE FOLLOWING A MORON, WHO WILL SUDDENLY CUT YOU UP. ESPECIALLY IF THEY SLOW DOWN, WOBBLE A BIT OR CHANGE ROAD POSITION IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER. ALSO - DON'T ASSUME THAT BECAUSE SOMEBODY IS INDICATING, THAT THEY WILL TURN OFF...... BEST STRATEGY IS TO ASSUME THAT EVERYBODY ON THE ROAD IS A MOTORCYCLIST PSYCHO KILLER. THEN THE SURPRISES ARE FEWER.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2008 11:44  

Also when coming up to a junction or roundabout eye to eye the driver thats likely to do something daft........90% of other road users are pretty good with bikes......unfortunately the 10% that are not you will meet all at once usually! lol

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 02/09/2008 15:26  

Yes, try to avoid riding over roadkill. Instead, pull over, scrape it up and grill it! Hmm, roadkill burgers all round .......

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 02/09/2008 15:32  

Venison anyone?

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 02/09/2008 15:37  

wow what can i say, bit lost for word which is strange for people that know me, i am very touched with all the words of wisdoms and would like to say a big thank you to everyone that has and is par taking of the topic. another question before i ramble on about other stuff i got in to the habit off putting my right leg down when having to come to a stop is that going to be a problem with me passing my test (a1) if so i will have to try and correct it but using the left. Paganprince i will look into the bikesafe course you mentioned can't hurt and should give me some good knowledge to help. and yeah i am up for a ride someplace within the new year Blues Biker, i am very knowledgable on you theroy of flight or float but the problems is if you get distracted then you will simple fall back to the ground, (hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) but good one all the same Ghost, i was in saudi the first gulf war was living out just outside of Dammam at the time, and yeah some of them america woman were real nice if not a little to much junk in the boot. and to finish Julie J and i think someone else askad about carring passenger which was something eles i was going to get around to ask. Once again i would like to say thanks for all the advice given and going to be left for us newbie Take care all and ride safe !! From Gavin

Update Reply
Blitz @ 02/09/2008 15:46  

the gods be willing i should be qualified(or certified) in 2 weeks time--finding this thread/link informative & entertaining so don,t stop!! prob join you on bikesafe course Gavin and i think we would both benefit from Phil,s offer of a relaxed ride-out..any-one else?

Update Reply
old red @ 02/09/2008 17:56  

With regards to the tips on pillion riding. Apart from the obvious, such as pillion getting comfortable at the right time not when rider is taking a corner, I have 3 hand signals (no smutty comments ta lol) that I tell every rider before I set off on the bike with them. One is to inform the rider I'm ready and he can set off, (so he doesn't tip me off by pulling away too fast..which happened yrs ago and I came off at traffic lights... the other signal is to let rider know I need the loo and the third and most important signal is I need to get *off the bike NOW, pull over as soon as you can. *cramp usually.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 02/09/2008 18:02  

Years ago my dad lost a pillion by taking off too fast. To make matters worse, he was a mile down the road before he realised she wasn't there. Think about it - if he'd been a bit more gentle with the throttle, I might have had a different mum!

Update Reply
Wills @ 02/09/2008 18:21  

Did your dad make a habit of throttling your mum?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2008 18:40  

Update Reply
Sandi @ 02/09/2008 18:50  

Enjoying this thread.... Just to say Blitz, you mention about if putting your right leg down when stationary at traffic lights etc could affect the outcome of your test, um well , yes it will, correct me if i've got it wrong someone, but i'm thinking you'd fail. Reason being, (and i'm assuming it hasn't changed since i took my own test, it's been a while!) you always keep your foot on the rear brake when at a standstill, to prevent (supposedly!) anyone being able to shunt you forward into another road user, if they happen to smack into the back of you. Now this only applies if thats the side your rear brake is on of course! But most obviously are.

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 02/09/2008 19:08  

You're correct ArfurB, foot on the brake, LEFT foot down, kerbside, stops it getting run over lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 02/09/2008 19:16  

cheers for this one...such pearls of wisdom & enlightenment for us newbies...really enjoying it...keep em coming!!

Update Reply
old red @ 02/09/2008 19:23  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email