MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Blitz (as in me) need some help and advice !!

Blitz (as in me) need some help and advice !! (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Blitz (as in me) need some help and advice !! (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Blitz (as in me) need some help and advice !!

very interesting and helpful stuff, all you guys and gals who have been riding a long time please keep posting your little jems of wisdom to keep us newbies safe and sound and back home to our loved ones at night!

Update Reply
julie j @ 01/09/2008 16:13  

Did you know that if while falling from your bike you can forget all about hitting the ground. You will actually not hit the ground at all but float about an inch from the road surface. saving you from the usual pain and bruising. Give it a go i think you'll find i'm right

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 01/09/2008 16:23  

Blues I think you're not getting the hang of this thread, it's for folk to impart their knowledge and tips not encouraging folk to crash lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/09/2008 16:32  

And another golden nugget is to look ahead at where you want the bike to go and it will go there. DO NOT...I REPEAT DO NOT LOOK AT AN OBSTRUCTION OR DEBRIS IN THE ROAD.......YOU WILL HIT IT UNLESS YOU DELIBERATELY CHANGE COURSE. exceptions are made for staring at ladies bums :)

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 01/09/2008 16:34  

PML don't you start an'all, ghost

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/09/2008 16:43  

The technical term for this is Target fixation. We lost a tornado in the gulf. the pilot flew straight into the ground on a gun range. doh!!

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 01/09/2008 16:44  

How odd, wouldn't have thought there were that many female bums out there

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/09/2008 16:46  

Ohhhhhhhh there is.....especialy on a friday/saturday night in town! lol

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 01/09/2008 16:51  

I was refering to the Gulf! ghost lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/09/2008 16:53  

exceptions are made for staring at ladies bums :)

There's a certain red-faced Met Police Officer I could mention, who managed to total 4 cars through checking out a lady's *ahem* assets on a nice Summer's afternoon, not noticing that the 2 lines of traffic ahead of him had come to a sudden standstill and wobbling his way between them, careering from car to car either side of him, before finally coming to an embarrassing standstill ;o)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 01/09/2008 16:56  

yep the yanks had some nice females in saudi the first time around lol

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 01/09/2008 16:58  

Ignore most road signs especialy ones with bright yellow square backrounds to condition your brain to the shape so you miss speed cameras. Saw one on the A37 the other day MOST ACCIDENTS HAPPEN AT JUNTIONS AND BENDS No shit Sherlock

Update Reply
micksaway @ 01/09/2008 17:38  

Riding in the wet is great fun. The degree of fun generally depends on the degree of "wet". If it has been raining monsoon like for ages then actually most of the sh$$ has been washed away and the right gritty surface is good. Just avoid anything shiny in the road - such as white lines, edges of road repairs, manhole covers, the ubiquitous diesel etc. If it has been dry for ages, then there is a little shower then proceed with greatest caution because it can be worse than ice out there. If, however, the roads are wet but the sun is shining and you have neither sunglasses nor a tinted visor, and you are riding into the sun then be very careful - because you can't see.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/09/2008 17:47  

ZZr is actually right. It can be immensely satisfying to ride along a twisty road in the wet, nice and smoothly and quickly. A couple of good points in this thread infact. One of my favourites is regarding target fixation - and I am not referring to the unfortunate pilot in the Gulf! I did a very good cornering course at Darley Moor race track where one of the subjects was target fixation. A little tip is if find yourself going into a corner a bit too fast (we all do it), try and force yourself to concentrate on the exit and on keeping the throttle open slightly and the brakes off. You'll be amazed how quickly a modern bike can actually corner, so just because you think it's a no goer, the chances are the bike can make the corner without any problems at all. Us mortals simply can not reach the capabilities of a modern bike frame as far as handling goes, especially on a sports bike. If you can then your name is probably M Doohan and you have retired from biking anyway to go race Formula 1 Powerboats, which is far safer!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 01/09/2008 18:33  

Another good tip is regarding the road AFTER it has been raining and is starting to dry quite nicely. The thing to consider in this situation is that the corner up ahead in shadows because of the trees, that's still wet is that! And indeed over the next couple of months that very same corner probably has a nice carpet of wet leaves on the edges of the road with each leaf individually marked "Mr Grippy" to add to the possible confusion.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 01/09/2008 18:39  

Wise words about the sun, Netty. I think I'd rather ride (or drive) in a thick fog than into a low sun on a wet road. At least with the fog you can slow right down until you know can stop within the visible space in front of you (and just pray the person behind does the same), but you don't have that option driving into the wet. Polaroid sunglasses can help a bit, though.

Update Reply
Wills @ 01/09/2008 18:47  

so what is a pin lock visor insert? and what little gems do you all have about carrying a passenger for the first time?

Update Reply
julie j @ 01/09/2008 18:51  

Excellent question Julie :o)

I live in absolute and total fear of actually eventually getting through the full test & suddenly someone expecting to ride pillion with me! Hehehe!

I wonder if this explains my sudden fixation with all things custom and chopped with single seats???

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 01/09/2008 18:58  

Wannabe, you will get through the test and it will be over and done with before you know it and you will be living in cheshire cat land!

Update Reply
julie j @ 01/09/2008 19:01  

another hit of advise i would give to new riders is to find someone who is willing to go riding with you. AT YOUR PACE. I made the mistake of going on a ride out with a large group of people and i only know one of them. the ride out was supposed to be an easy run good for novices. but when you turn up and every bike bar 3 are sports bikes and all the riders have matching romper suits the out look did not look good. 300 miles later and only stopping for fuel i was goosed. everyone shot off at a rate of knots and i was left behind. by the time i caught up with them at smoke stops they were ready to roll again. never again. I am a slow rider. I have dome my speed driving ambulances. I have driven through red lights at rush hour, gone the wrong way round Oulton Park with BSB riders in the back (with permission from race contrail to go the wrong way) and I have chased a Boeing 737 down one of the runways at Manchester. some how going fast on the British roads don't cut it. much more fun turning your two's and Blues on and watching the pillok in font in his £25/ week corsa open the sun roof with hes head. If any one wants to have a run out with me then message me. I also like to ride somewhere do something then ride back.rather than ride a big circle.

Update Reply
Phil @ 02/09/2008 02:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email